Running Mint from a USB SOLVED

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Robint

Running Mint from a USB SOLVED

Post by Robint »

Hi Guys, I didnt want to hijack Benaknouns thread cos he is using an SSD and the installation problems are getting convoluted

Is there a simple way to run Linux from a USB (including its common apps) on a windows pc. I dont mean as a boot drive installing linux on a pc (just yet)

Hope this isnt a dumb question cos I am a Linux newbie but my recent eperience with the appaling Win 10 has made me sit up and listen, there is a world without M$

I understand that the PRC runs all its machines on its version of Linux - smart move. IMHO it would only take them a heartbeat to beef up their system and make it moe user friendly then distribute it freely (like Lenovo) for this to take the world and trash M$, what do you think?

I am seriously thinking off picking up a used Lenovo laptop with Linux already installed - cheap enough to get started on the learning curve :lol:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: Running Mint from a USB

Post by michael louwe »

@ RobinT, .......

Please refer to this link on how to create a Live Ubuntu/Linux Mint USB Flash-drive with Persistent storage, .......
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/c ... ash-drive/
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

As has already been noted, It is relatively easy to run a "Live session" of Mint - or other Linux distros - from a USB stick.

It is also possible to install Mint on a USB stick provided it is large enough - in exactly the same way as it would be installed on an external hard drive. The key point is to install the Linux Grub on the stick as well. Then it's just a matter of going into the BIOS at boot-up and adjusting the computer to boot from the USB stick.

I should add that it will run more slowly than a normal installation. Also, some people don't recommend 'permanent' installation and operation of Linux from a USB stick. I think this is because the flash memory in a USB stick is more likely to fail if it has to do a lot of reading/writing...

The thing is, once you have tried a distro in a Live session from a USB stick then - if you like it - it does make sense to install it properly.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

[Nevermind]
Last edited by pbear on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

I have a USB3 64GB store freshly-installed with a Linux desktop system. After installation (Devuan Refracta + kde-full + openbox) and updates the OS partition 'lifetime writes' is only 10GB out of a pessimistic minimum of 500*64GB == 32000GB ... 10/32000 == 0.03% expired. It won't last as long as a hard drive, but it won't expire this year. I get 35MB/s read and 10MB/s write through a USB2 port, you really can't tell it's not a spinning disk drive.
Last edited by Mute Ant on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ pbear, .......

Thank you for the info.

There are also Universal USB Installer, unetbootin, Rufus, USB Image Writer, etc.
Robint

Post by Robint »

Thank all guys, thats interesting stuff. I would use a 64G usb 3 unit (cheap enough £12 ebay) and I accept that the usb flash memory has limited write cycles, but still if it lasts for a couple of years casual use. As posted, if i got over my nervousity about installing linux then a permanent installation on a pc is the way to go. I recently went through a hdd crash wiped my system, fortunately my local tech shop was able to retrieve my data and reintall my W8.1 on a new hdd - but it shattered my confidence, even more so when I found that its not easy for the home user to make a system back up - thanks to M$ NOT

Now the issue of spying

I read that Ubuntu can be spied upon by agencies, just the same as Android, Windows, Mac

Does anyone have a taake on this (should I make a new topic

Robin
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

"I would use a 64G usb 3 unit (cheap enough £12 ebay)" This looks too cheap...£23 is normal (Tesco) retail price...maybe £18 reduced-to-clear. Check the connector...USB3 has 5 extra wires tucked into the back of the plug. Check the capacity...fill it with photographs and read them all back. Better still, get a stick from a shop where you can take it back.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/All-About-Fak ... 258/g.html
If you compare prices with those of similar capacity drives found at major retailers, a small saving may be expected on brand name drives and slightly larger savings on low to mid capacity generic drives. However, if you see savings of 50%, 75%, or even 90% of retail prices, you should be very cautious.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Robint wrote:...
Is there a simple way to run Linux from a USB (including its common apps) on a windows pc.
You could also run Linux within Windows using VirtualBox. As I write this, I am running Linux Mint MATE 18.2 within Windows 10.

This way, you boot Windows and open Mint, use it, then close it, all the while being in Windows.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

[Nevermind]
Last edited by pbear on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robint

Post by Robint »

Hi Guys

I am still wading through the yadyada, all making conflicting claims

I have come across Virtual box by Oracle

Whats the take on this?

Seems too good to be true?

I am leaning towards a standalone linux laptop so I can back up the entire system and re-install from usb easily?

then use it as my mess about workbench, Im bound to screw it up at first so rebooting with a clean install should keep me with a working machine (like we used to do in DOS - remember those happy days when the User was king)
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I have come across Virtual box by Oracle

Whats the take on this?

Seems too good to be true?
The "take" on this is simple. You can run another OS while still in your main OS.

Not sure what you mean "Seems too good to be true?" As is said in my previous post, I am running Windows 10 at the moment and within Windows, I'm running Linux Mint MATE 18.2.

With VirtualBox, you create a virtual "machine" (computer) and on that "machine" is an OS of your choice.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Robint",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.
Robint wrote:Thank all guys, thats interesting stuff. I would use a 64G usb 3 unit (cheap enough £12 ebay) and I accept that the usb flash memory has limited write cycles, but still if it lasts for a couple of years casual use. As posted, if i got over my nervousity about installing linux then a permanent installation on a pc is the way to go. I recently went through a hdd crash wiped my system, fortunately my local tech shop was able to retrieve my data and reintall my W8.1 on a new hdd - but it shattered my confidence, even more so when I found that its not easy for the home user to make a system back up - thanks to M$ NOT
No matter what computer operating system you use, everyone should be backing up their important files including data files to an external USB drive, cloud storage (free storage is available from "pCloud", "Mega.nz", Google Drive, etc...). You can even use DVD's.

In order to fully install Linux Mint to a USB Flash drive stick, which should work well on a 64gb USB stick, you still have to create a DVD or use another USB Stick (even a small one like 2gb) to "burn" the live installation version of Linux Mint .iso onto it, boot to that, then click install Linux Mint, and choose the USB flash drive stick you want for the destination.

If you want to create a USB flash drive stick of the Live installation version of Linux Mint ".iso" with persistence where changes are saved using MS Windows, the "Linux Live USB Creator" looks pretty good, but if it does not work with Linux Mint 18.x and that is what you want to use because you actually tried it, then you could try using "Unetbootin".
https://unetbootin.github.io/

Robint wrote:Now the issue of spying. I read that Ubuntu can be spied upon by agencies, just the same as Android, Windows, Mac. Does anyone have a taake on this (should I make a new topic
This topic has been discussed many times before in this forum. This should be in a new post or added to one of the existing posts on this topic. Linux is much more secure and safer to use than other operating systems.
Robint wrote: I have come across Virtual box by Oracle, Whats the take on this?
This allows anyone with sufficient computer resources to install Virtualbox in Linux or MS Windows, and run other computer operating systems within that.
Robint wrote: I am leaning towards a standalone linux laptop so I can back up the entire system and re-install from usb easily? then use it as my mess about workbench, Im bound to screw it up at first so rebooting with a clean install should keep me with a working machine (like we used to do in DOS - remember those happy days when the User was king)
If you can dedicate a computer to this, then that is obviously a good option.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Robint

Post by Robint »

Thanx PhD, most helpful

BTW a word of warning IMHO about home burnt DVDs, how reliable are they? A while back when I worked in the FE, DVD storage became cheap and I and several other pals made back up of data, music, vids etc. One bar we used, the owner had a great selection of 70's 80's music he played continually for customers. After ca 6 months the disc started jittering and eventually became a coaster. Further investigation revealed that these so called brand names were factory rejects from PRC sold off on the markets, HK,BKK,SNG and on the EU by the millions. It turned out that the dye used in manufacture was substandard and faded with time and usage (we tried this by putting a newly burnt disc on a windowcill in the sun - it was un playable after 24hrs

By contrast I had a cheap usb 4g stick for 8 years and it had been through the washing machine 3 times, still working ok :D But again I bought a bnib 64g usb from ebay and it was faulty at data storage right off, I complained and got a refund - so the practice still goes on, where factory rejects get sold off on ebay and its a matter of chance if you get lucky

I went on the external 2.5 hdd and now a 1Tb is £40 and I use it for regular data bu. I guess the same in SSD (£150) is the ultimate - if you only use it for storage not for an OS

Robin
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Robint",

You are welcome.
Robint wrote: BTW a word of warning IMHO about home burnt DVDs, how reliable are they? A while back when I worked in the FE, DVD storage became cheap and I and several other pals made back up of data, music, vids etc. One bar we used, the owner had a great selection of 70's 80's music he played continually for customers. After ca 6 months the disc started jittering and eventually became a coaster. Further investigation revealed that these so called brand names were factory rejects from PRC sold off on the markets, HK,BKK,SNG and on the EU by the millions. It turned out that the dye used in manufacture was substandard and faded with time and usage (we tried this by putting a newly burnt disc on a windowcill in the sun - it was un playable after 24hrs
Yes, you do have to be careful with CD's and DVD's to use quality ones, and they are susceptible to heat.

But, there are the "m-disc" DVD's which require a "m disc" DVD burner (writer) that last a very long time and are great for long term storage, or for cars (vehicles), or outdoor use, etc... In addition to the DVD disc, the various "blu-ray" discs can hold a lot of files and folders...
M-Disc optical media reviewed:
Your data, good for a thousand years
Want your data to outlive you by a few centuries? M-Disc optical media, with its super-stable data layer, is what you're looking for.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2933478/ ... years.html
M Disc Burners
https://www.amazon.com/slp/m-disc-burne ... tw8mf4g6eq

M Disc Media (discs)
https://www.amazon.com/M-DISC-4-7GB-Per ... B005Y4NKE0

LG Electronics 8X USB 2.0 Super Multi Ultra Slim Portable DVD Writer Drive +/-RW External Drive with M-DISC Support $24.97us
https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-P ... SDXK82FHAR

LG 6x WP50NB40 Ultra Slim Portable Blu-ray Burner Bundle with 100GB BDXL Disc, $104.99us
https://www.amazon.com/WP50NB40-Portabl ... isc+burner

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Robint wrote:I am still wading through the yadyada, all making conflicting claims
Sorry to have wasted your time. It won't happen again.
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

Discussion in this thread has expanded from the question in the original post into some other - fascinating - issues like spying and the quality of different types of CD/DVD.

I recall that the OP Robint said that he was a newbie, and he has commented on the "yadayada" and "....conflicting claims."

Even after 3-4 years of using Linux, I still feel like a newbie too. With that warning/caveat, it might be helpful just to set out a simple list of the installation choices which I explored, as a Windows user, when contemplating the move to Linux. In roughly escalating order of permanence, they include the following:

1) burn a CD/DVD of your favoured Linux distro, and boot it up (using your Windows system) to run a Live session from that CD/DVD. This is like taking a new car for a test drive. You can see how it runs, but you can't modify it to your taste. It won't run at top speed;

2) a variant of this is to put the distro on to a USB stick and run a Live session from there (which is likely to require selecting the USB stick in the BIOS as the first boot option);

3) create a bootable USB stick containing your preferred Linux distro, with this strange facility called "persistence". This allows you to run a Live session from the USB stick and also to tweak the Linux settings to some extent. This is still a test drive. The system BIOS has to be set to boot from the USB stick. The 'persistence' arrangement however enables Linux to remember what tweaks you made so they remain in place for the next time you take it for a drive. But it still won't run flat out, and there's a limit to the tweaking you can do. Comment: I have found YUMI at https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-mult ... b-creator/ a reliable way of doing this - and you can have more than one Linux distro on the stick and choose which to play with!

3) install your selected Linux distro - with its Grub bootloader - permanently on an external hard drive. This obviously requires, first, the CD/DVD .iso. It also needs some willingness to get to grips with partitioning in order to be able to make decisions about exactly where and how to do the installation. Access to that Linux OS on the external drive is then enabled by re-setting the boot order in BIOS. Linux will run faster (or normally) in such a setup. The merit of this is that first, it does not interfere with your Windows OS or its MBR bootloader, and second, you can boot into and run the Linux distro on any computer simply by connecting your external HDD. Comment: as noted earlier, it is possible to do this on to a USB stick instead of an HDD. But there is some question about how well a USB stick will cope, long-term, with all the read/write load of running an OS.

4) install your selected Linux distro as dual boot alongside your Windows on the main hard drive of your existing system. The Linux installer can do this more or less automatically. It creates a separate partition, and puts Linux on it. It also overwrites the Windows bootloader (which can't "see" Linux) with its own Grub bootloader. Grub can see and launch Windows or Linux;

5) install your selected Linux distro alongside your Windows on the main hard drive..... but do so using EasyBCD, which is a free Windows program. In essence this requires the manual install of Linux and its Grub on a separate partition, without overwriting the Windows MBR. Then it's simply a matter of telling EasyBCD where to find that Linux OS. You can in fact install more than one additional OS. EasyBCD then presents the choice of OS to boot into each time you start up. This is in fact what I have currently on my Win7 laptop;

6) There are refinements of this dual, or indeed multiboot setup - details of which are not for this post - to enable files/documents etc to be saved on a separate partition in such a way that they are accessible from either Windows or Linux;

7) then there is the option of running Linux in a Virtual Box within your Windows system (or maybe Windows in a virtual box inside Linux?). I know nothing of this and have not tried to go down this route;

8. Finally (!) there is the simple alternative - already mentioned - of getting a separate, cheap, or old computer and installing Linux (only) on that and playing with it there until you feel at home. Choosing a 'lightweight' Linux distro can revive an otherwise redundant older/slower computer that doesn't have the grunt to handle newer graphics-heavy Windows versions.

This list is essentially a simplified summary. Other forum members may spot gaps or want to add more detail. But it illustrates the wealth of choices and options that Linux offers, in where and how it is installed as well as in how you personalise it afterwards.

Best of luck - have fun, and discover the freedom of escaping the Microsoft straitjacket!
Robint

Post by Robint »

:o WOW

I am so paranoid about screwing up win 8.1 that I dont feel comfortable with dual booting that m/c If it aint broke dont fix it.

I think its best if I get a bare hdd and throw it into an old xp m/c I have (saving the original XP OS hdd in a safe place, then follow the easylinux way to get started. As I get more comfortable I can try ways of having a portable linux + apps on a stick.

I have always been intrigued at the possibility of carrying around a complete OS + office apps etc on a stick ever since I came across a portable Adobe phtoshop (which Ive had for years and works very well) Talk of bloatware Adobe std is 500Mb+ this portable is 50 Mb and I hardly notice the difference

Could be the ultimate way to escape M$

Anyone use Kodi? Mine came on a stick fully loaded for $10. I plugged it in and it worked and still works 100,000's of vids at my view

Could a linux stick +apps be made like that? See how android has taken off and left M$ in the dust (hence the disastrous panic release of Win8)

FYI I was stuck with win8 on a new m/c (cos M$forced it on all retailers) but soon after the worldwide condemnation M$ offered a free upgrade to 8.1 which went back to familiar roots of Win7 (still widely popular on 50% of m/c and fiercely defended) So I jumped for this and went through the instruction - my point being that it was and extremely tortuous experience requiring several reboots along the way, hours of downloading and took in all 24 hours to complete

I was shattered at the end wondering what the hell I had got myself into - what does that tell you.

Suffice to say it worked ok for the next 4 years untill my sudden hdd crash and being brought face to face with how vulnerable I was in M$ hands. Win10 is far worse in its control freak mission

So thats why I am here now , I had become complacent and have received a wake up call :oops:
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Could a linux stick +apps be made like that? See how android has taken off and left M$ in the dust (hence the disastrous panic release of Win8)
You can create a Linux Mint USB flash drive that is the same as installing it onto a hard drive. I have one. It's a Sandisk Ultra Flair 3.0 USB 16GB. I installed Mint MATE 18.2 onto it. Runs great!

If you are going to be storing a lot of files, I would suggest a larger one than 16GB.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ RobinT, .......

To give yourself more confidence with Win 8.1, you should have recovery backup plans in place, in case the OS or hard-drive fails, ie create a Win 8.1 Install DVD/USB-stick and a System Image = able to fix if it is broken = have the confidence to do a dual boot on a single hard-drive or on 2 separate drives.

To create a Win 8.1 Install DVD/USB-stick, first retrieve the OEM COA Product Key from the computer with the Produkey program. Then go to M$'s website to install the Media Creation Tool and download the Win 8.1 ISO file. Use the Imgburn program or USB-burner program to burn the ISO onto a DVD+R disc or USB-stick. Maximum burn speed for the DVD-drive is 4X, in order to prevent any burning errors. This Install DVD/USB-stick can be used to reinstall Win 8.1. The Product Key is needed to complete the install. Win 8.1 will be automatically activated when online because the PK is embedded in the motherboard.

To create a recent System Image or snapshot of the working Win 8.1 system, you can use either the Macrium Reflect Free or Acronis True Image program. The System Image can be burned onto a 16GB USB-stick or a few DVD+R or an external USB hard-drive.
....... Also, OEM Win 8.1 computers have an inbuilt Recovery Backup Tool for the users to create a Factory System Image of Win 8.1 by burning it onto a 16GB USB-stick, ie created from the Recovery Partition that is located in the internal hard-drive. This Factory System Image recovery is like doing a Factory Reset = after recovery, the users will need to download and install many important updates, ie from 2013 onward.

Return to “Installation & Boot”