bcdedit Windows 10+Linux Mint, OS options not showing up

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CarboMintSoda

bcdedit Windows 10+Linux Mint, OS options not showing up

Post by CarboMintSoda »

Hi!

I recently installed Linux Mint on my X1C5 ThinkPad, which already has windows 10 on it. I would like to use windows boot manager to select which OS I want to use on start-up, and following info I found online changed bcdedit in a manner that should work from my understanding. It is not, however, and the computer only boots straight to windows if I have boot manager set to load first in the UEFI (if I have "Ubuntu" set to load first, grub loads and I'm able to go to window or mint from there, but I'd like to get the windows boot manager working).

The commands I used for changing bcdedit are as follows:

Code: Select all

bcdedit /copy {bootmgr} /d "Mint"
bcdedit /set {id} path \EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi
bcdedit /displayorder {id} /addlast
where id is the id returned for the copied bootmgr from the first line. These were based on following a couple different tips/guides I found online. All the commands were successful, and when I now type bcdedit into command line it reflects to me as if it were successful:
Capture.PNG
but as mentioned before, boot manager does not give me the option to load one or another OS. If anyone knows what the issue is here and can help, I'd much appreciate it. If I left something out or I can provide more useful information, let me know. I know of things like easyBCD, but I want to do it by manually manipulating the bcdedit, and as such if you not only know a fix but can explain what's wrong and why the fix addresses the issue, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: bcdedit Windows 10+Linux Mint, OS options not showing up

Post by MrEen »

Add:

bcdedit /timeout 30
Your timeout is 0 so you never had a chance to choose which system to boot.
CarboMintSoda

Post by CarboMintSoda »

MrEen wrote:Add:

bcdedit /timeout 30
Your timeout is 0 so you never had a chance to choose which system to boot.
Thank you, this fixed it such that I see the mint option now!

Unfortunately there's now another, more serious issue: when I choose the mint option, the computer attempts to restart and then gives me a message about windows failing to start. Evidently I messed something else up in my bcdedit. I'm tempted to think it is either the path assigned to "Mint" of \EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi, or because it is labeled a "Windows Boot Manager", as can be seen in the screen shot of the OP, as opposed to a "Windows Boot Launcher" like windows 10 is in the same list provided by the bcdedit command. Both of these are results of info/guides I've read, however, so I'm not sure how to address them. Here is a photo of the issue I get:
IMAG0294.jpg
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Sorry you're having trouble.

Here is the site I used to find the timeout issue: https://www.iceflatline.com/2009/09/how ... g-bcdedit/

As it was written for Win7 it wasn't for UEFI, but it may help you figure out the problem.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

According to that site you can do this to delete the Mint entry you created:

bcdedit /delete {ID}
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

if you are still having issues with using bcdedit, then try using easyBCD:
http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/#comparison
use the Non-Commercial / Free version.

that program doesn't replace the Windows Boot Loader,
but rather it's Boot Menu.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
CarboMintSoda

Post by CarboMintSoda »

MrEen wrote:According to that site you can do this to delete the Mint entry you created:

bcdedit /delete {ID}
Sorry for the late response. The website you mentioned was one of the few I'd looked at for building my Boot Manager, but ultimately I couldn't get everything working and just defaulted back to having windows boot manager only load windows and having the computer start up into Mint's boot manager (grub?), which easily offers me either option. Thanks for trying to help :)
Pierre wrote:if you are still having issues with using bcdedit, then try using easyBCD
Appreciate you pointing this out, I had seen a bit about it though and was at least as much curious about bcdedit as having windows boot manager functioning correctly. Therefore didn't want to use easyBCD, but realistically it would have gotten the job done.

Return to “Installation & Boot”