Random freezes during installation from usb

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SET001

Re: Random freezes during installation from usb

Post by SET001 »

Here is what I was trying to solve the problem:
  • nomodeset
  • noapic
  • acpi=ht
  • pci=noacpi
  • acpi=noirq
  • pnpacpi=off
  • nouveau.noaccel=1
  • After the installation, use "Advanced Options" -> "Recovery mode" from the boot menu and choose "resume".
  • Compatibility mode
  • Install all updates
  • select recommended driver (currently selected is nvidia-375 which is marked as recommended
and so far the only thing that allow me to work is acpi=off but with this I have very
  • from time to time when I type a key in keyboard, I got that key typed multiple times. To solve this I set delay to max value and speed to min value in `repeat keys` but still pro
  • after some time of, successful work, everything suddenly becomes supper slow in spite of there is no any heavy task running, no cores loaded more than 1% and a lot of ram awail. I can't resize windows, can't use scroll in windows. Text selection become insane.
  • as @Euphilos noted I have no hyperthreading.
SET001

Post by SET001 »

Finally I solved this by downgrade to 17.2. Everything work super fine now.
Siegfried_DE-HH

Post by Siegfried_DE-HH »

I had a similar problem with CPU Intel Core i7-7820X on MB MSI X299 last week. Neither Mint 18.3 Cinnamon nor Ubuntu 17.04 or 17.10 (all 64bit) booted from USB-Stick on my new PC system, which is:

Motherboard: Micro-Star (MSI) model: X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC (MS-7A95), v: 1.0
BIOS (UEFI): American Megatrends v: 1.20, date: 2017-07-18
CPU: Intel Core i7-7820X (-HT-MCP-), 8 cores, cache 11264 KB
Graphics: NVIDIA Device 1c03, GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2, GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.111, Direct Rendering: Yes
Hybrid HDD: Seagate ST1000DX002, 1 TB, no RAID device

The boot process always stopped. Error messages contained "Kernel panic - not syncing" and "Processor context corrupt". I tried out some of the commands you quoted below, but in vain.

A solution that finally worked was a little change the BIOS Setup. I disabled Intel Turbo Boost in the Overclocking Profile \ CPU Features (accessible in Advanced mode of the BIOS Setup). After re-starting the system, Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit installed and runs smoothly.

Return to “Installation & Boot”