[SOLVED?]"Your home directory is listed as: '/home/myusername but it does not appear to exist."

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Eliminos

[SOLVED?]"Your home directory is listed as: '/home/myusername but it does not appear to exist."

Post by Eliminos »

I'm very new to Linux etc. I've had a HTPC with Mint (17.3 I think) for a year or so and now it is failing to log in with "Your home directory is listed as: '/home/myusername but it does not appear to exist. Do You want to log in with the / root directory as your home directory?"

Clicking yes gives me "User's $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored. This prevents the default session and language from being saved. File should be owned by user and have 644 permissions. User's $HOME directory must be owned by user and not writable by other users."

Clicking OK gives me "Could not update ICEauthority file /.ICEauthority"

I have tried to force an fsck but that seems to be stuck in "Press C to cancel all checks in progress"

Help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: "Your home directory is listed as: '/home/myusername but it does not appear to exist."

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Eliminos.

I suggest using a Linux Mint live system, booting the machine from it and running an fsck from the Linux Mint live system on the internal harddisk where your Linux Mint 17.x system has been installed.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Eliminos

Re: "Your home directory is listed as: '/home/myusername but it does not appear to exist."

Post by Eliminos »

Left it sitting on the fsck screen for an hour and when I came back to it, it had booted successfully. I guess this is 'solved' then. Is there any reason why fsck does not show any information other than 'press C to cancel'?

Return to “Installation & Boot”