[SOLVED] Need advice with dual boot WinXP/Mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xh1
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Need advice with dual boot WinXP/Mint

Post by xh1 »

Hi,
I would like to install Linux Mint 18.2 Mate 32 bit (which I currently have on a thumb drive), as a dual boot alongside Windows XP which is currently the only OS on the HD. Here are the computer specs:

Code: Select all

mint@mint ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System: Host: mint Kernel: 4.8.0-53-generic i686 (32 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine: System: Dell (portable) product: MM061
Mobo: Dell model: 0XD720 Bios: Dell v: A08 date: 07/28/2006
CPU: Dual core Intel T2050 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3) bmips: 6384
clock speeds: max: 1600 MHz 1: 1067 MHz 2: 1333 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV515/M52 [Mobility
Radeon X1300]
bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded:
fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1680x1050@60.11hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV515
GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 12.0.6 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.8.0-53-generic
Network: Card-1: Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
driver: b44 v: 2.0 bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
driver: iwl3945 v: in-tree:s bus-ID: 0b:00.0
IF: wlp11s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: NA (-)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54106 size: 58.5GB temp: 47C
ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Cruzer_Glide size: 31.4GB temp: 0C
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 47.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 159 Uptime: 1 min Memory: 276.5/997.4MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
mint@mint ~ $
The computer is a Dell Inspiron E1505

I have launched the installer and I got to this part of the installation (link to screenshot):

https://postimg.org/image/uu62xsi8l/

If I understand correct, sda1 is Dell's stuff that I shouldn't touch. sda2 is where the XP OS lives, it takes only 17GB out of 40GB, but I don't know if that includes user files/documents. I don't know what sda3 and sda4 are and whether I can touch them.

Checking the HD from XP's Disk Management tool, I see a different picture and I'm not sure how to understand it in light of what I see from the Linux Installer. Here's a like to that screenshot:

https://postimg.org/image/bf0d1sv9x/

I would like to leave minimal space for XP as I don't really plan to use it, and have three partitions (root, swap and home) for Mint.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gold_finger

Re: Need advice with dual boot WinXP/Mint

Post by gold_finger »

Don't know for sure, but my guess is sda1 (Dell Utility Partition) contains copies of Dell utilities installed originally on computer and probably Windows XP hardware drivers. Last partition, sda4, is probably a copy of Windows XP used for install/re-install purposes, as opposed to providing DVDs to do so. Windows XP and your current user files appear to be on sda2 as you suspected and sda3 appears to be an empty/unused partition for backups.

Since drive is currently using the max allowed of 4 "primary" partitions, you will need to delete one of them to install Mint. Safest bet is to delete the sda3 partition since it's not being used for anything and is not needed. Then shrink down the size of sda2 partition to make more free space available for Mint. Would recommend shrinking down to about 22-25GB, not all the way down to 17.5GB of used space in WinXP -- give XP a little breathing room. You'll end up with about 30GB free for Mint install. Good tool to install and use in XP for partition operations is MiniTool Partition Wizard. (Use it only to delete and re-size Windows partitions. Don't use it to create the new partitions for Mint install. Do that during installation with installers partitioner.)

If you want separate root and home partitions, I'd recommend following partition sizes:
Root = 13GB
Swap = 1.5GB
Home = rest of space = approx. 15GB
xh1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by xh1 »

Thank you gold_finger. I aslo opened GParted and got an error message reading:
"Invalid partition table - recursive partition on /dev/sdb."

Then I clicked "Cancel" and got the partition table:

https://postimg.org/image/8imit047p/

Would GParted do an identical job as MiniTool Partition Wizard?
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

xh1 wrote:I aslo opened GParted and got an error message reading:
"Invalid partition table - recursive partition on /dev/sdb."
You can ignore that -- it's referring to the DVD/USB live image you booted Mint from -- not a problem.
xh1 wrote:Would GParted do an identical job as MiniTool Partition Wizard?
Admittedly I have used GParted to manipulate Windows partitions and not had any resulting problems, but it's generally advised to use Windows-based tools on Windows partitions and Linux-based tools for Linux partitions just to be on the safe side.

Since you'll be shrinking XP down significantly in this case I'd recommend using MiniTool over GParted. If memory serves me right, there's a good chance that hiberfil.sys and/or pagefile.sys in XP system may limit amount you can shrink the partition with GParted, or GParted may force-ably move them in a way that might adversely affect XP. MiniTool should handle that better. If MiniTool won't allow you to shrink XP partition down to 22-23GB, use search engine to find out how to delete/turn-off those two things, then shrink partition, then re-enable features when done.
xh1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by xh1 »

Thanks gold_finger. The installation is completed and I can load both WinXP and LM. The problem that I'm having is that the Linux installation jitters and has static from the moment it begins to load, as if something is not defined properly with the video (but it may be something else). But if this should go in a separate post and a separate forum, I will start a new post.
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

You're welcome -- sorry to hear you're having graphics problems. Probably best to start a new thread under this forum heading. I'm not well versed in solving those issues. In new post tell people you just installed Mint Mate version, whether or not the problem existed during testing with live USB/DVD before the install, describe problem as best you can and include output of terminal command inxi -Fxz to give them specs of computer.

Return to “Installation & Boot”