Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
plpar
Level 1
Level 1

no prompt for password for encrypted home folder

Post by plpar »

I installed Linux Mint 18.2 64bit Sonya Cinnamon and indicated that I wanted to encrypt home folder but was never prompted for a password for that encrypted home folder.

So I tried Linux Mint 18.2 64bit Mate and again checked the box to encrypt my home folder. Once again I was never prompted for a home folder password.

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Re: no prompt for password for encrypted home folder

Post by killer de bug »

Your home is encrypted. The password used is your login password. Once you log in, your home is decrypted.
It's for sure working, as I had an issue with my VPN, and this issue is famous for being related to encrypted /home. :wink:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Hello John Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

Your user password unlocks the encrypted folder when you logon :wink:
ImageImage

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

The 'Encrypt Your Home Folder' code is a home-brew by Ubuntu using the Linux encryption tool ecryptfs...

man ecryptfs "stores cryptographic metadata in the header of each file written, so that encrypted files can be copied between hosts; the file will be decryptable with the proper key, and there is no need to keep track of any additional information aside from what is already in the encrypted file itself."

In principal, then, rather like a 7z zipped archive with a password. In practice, two points that have shown up in the Mint forums...

o Logging out does not necessarily re-lock the encrypted folder. It is supposed to, but some people have noticed that sometimes, it doesn't.

o It's quite easy to get locked out of your home folder and unreasonably difficult to get back in. This has become even more difficult since Mint started locking the root account.

A USB stick LUKS container works for me...the file-manager knows how to mount it...everything is locked when it's unplugged.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Return to “Installation & Boot”