[Solved] lost windows 10 boot option

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimmer

[Solved] lost windows 10 boot option

Post by jimmer »

i had a feeling this would happen, not because i understand anything...
anyway i have installed 18.2 kde on three logical partitions (root, swap and home) within an extended partition on my SSd drive, it being limited to 4 primary as it's MBR type.
now upon start-up i get a choice of mint, mint in advanced mode, or set-up, with no windows mentioned.
is it something to do with the root partition being a logical one, not a primary?

ideally i'd just like to be asked to choose mint or windows at start up, tho i'll be choosing mint 99% of the time. otherwise i'd at least like the choice when i access boot menu with F12.
thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: lost windows 10 boot option

Post by michael louwe »

@ jimmer,.......

Likely, the problem is because Win 10 had been installed in UEFI/GPT mode while LM 18.2 Kde has been installed in Legacy BIOS/MBR=MS-DOS mode. They are incompatible modes and cannot be mixed for a dual-boot, ie both OS should be in the same mode, either UEFI or Legacy BIOS.

Since 2012, nearly all OEM Win 8.x/10 computers came with UEFI technology, replacing Legacy BIOS technology. Your Lenovo Thinkpad X240 is 2014 = UEFI.
... With most modern UEFI computers, an OS can be installed in UEFI or Legacy BIOS mode. By enabling CSM in BIOS setup, an OS will be installed in Legacy BIOS mode. M$ Surface Pro computers do not allow Legacy BIOS mode for OS installation.

In your mixed install configuration, it may be possible to boot Win 10 through BIOS setup. If not, try deleting and reinstalling LM in UEFI mode, eg by using Rufus to create a 'pure' UEFI Live LM 18.2 Kde USB-stick.
jimmer

Post by jimmer »

thanks again for your help micheal. yes that's what i (sort of) understood, but i did think i was installing linux in UEFI mode. i entered a command in terminal to check and it apparently confirmed that it was running in UEFI mode (when still running a live desktop from the usb stick).

the ISO i have on the stick came from my brother's much older thinkpad intallation. an x201 so possibly/presumably pre UEFI?
could this be a partial explanation?

so do i need to re-download an ISO before tyring again with RUFUS?

also CSM was enabled in BIOS setup, and i was unable to disable it. do i need to solve this also?
jimmer

Post by jimmer »

and will my SSD partiions stay intact and be re-useable for a re-install?
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ jimmer,.......

Run the Live LM 18.2 Kde USB-stick, launch GParted to view the partitions on your internal hard-drive(= /sda). If you have an EFI System Partition(= fat32/104MB/boot) at the beginning of the disk, it means Win 10 is installed in UEFI/GPT mode. If not, it means Win 10 is installed in Legacy BIOS/MBR(MS-DOS) mode.

You can also check the Terminal output for sudo fdisk -l or sudo parted /dev/sda print or inxi -Fxz.

I think you need to first enable Secure Boot before you can disable CSM, and vice versa.
Last edited by michael louwe on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

jimmer wrote:and will my SSD partiions stay intact and be re-useable for a re-install?
Of course. You just need to know how to delete the unwanted Linux partitions and do a reinstall of LM in the proper mode, ie either UEFI or Legacy BIOS. You can either use GParted or the LM Installer's "Something else" manual partitioning method.
....... You can even "Erase disk and install LM' as a single-boot, ie wiping away Win 10, or vice versa.
jimmer

Post by jimmer »

yes right, infact i don't have and EFI Fat 32 partition. i have already checked that.
but when i ran a command previously mentioned, it said it WAS EFI mode.

so is my windows running in UEFI or Legacy/BIOS? that's what i can't figure out.
there is one descriptor in Setup which mentions oth, with UEFI first. i'll need to re-start to check which it was exactly.
should i perhaps be setting this to just one or the other?

outcome of inci Fxz:
jimmer-X240 ~ $ inxi Fxz
CPU~Dual core Intel Core i5-4200U (-HT-MCP-) speed/max~1599/2600 MHz Kernel~4.8.0-53-generic x86_64 Up~1 day Mem~1421.1/7674.6MB HDD~272.1GB(13.1% used) Procs~200 Client~Shell inxi~2.2.35
jimmer

Post by jimmer »

i would love to just delete W10 and be done with it, but i'm going to keep it for now so i can use sketch-up without having to use Wine or whatever, and incase i have problems with printing or whatever
Last edited by jimmer on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmer

Post by jimmer »

i meant my linux partitions btw, but no worries, i now know what to do with them when creating new ones : )
jimmer

Post by jimmer »

So the questions are:

1. How do i tell for sure if my windows runs in UEFI or BIOS?

2. Where is the setting to make sure that linux reinstall is in correct UEFI/BIOS mode? Is it at the creation of bootable usb stage? or during install?
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ jimmer,.......

If Win 10 and LM were installed in Legacy BIOS mode, the problem with Win 10 not appearing in the initial Grub menu is likely because you have installed the "Device for boot loader installation' at the wrong partition or wrong place. By right, the "Device for boot loader installation" should be /sda or the whole hard-drive, and not /sda1 or /sda3.

If this is the case, try a Boot Repair( viewtopic.php?f=46&t=207529 ) .
... Or try deleting all the Linux partitions to create a new 'free space' and reinstall LM. The deletion can be done with GParted or by running the LM Installer's "Something else" method.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

jimmer wrote:So the questions are:

1. How do i tell for sure if my windows runs in UEFI or BIOS?

2. Where is the setting to make sure that linux reinstall is in correct UEFI/BIOS mode? Is it at the creation of bootable usb stage? or during install?
UEFI technology must use GPT disk, 64bit, CSM disabled and a fat32 EFI System Partition for the boot partition. Legacy BIOS technology can use MBR/MS-DOS or GPT disk, 32bit or 64bit and must use a fat16 MBR partition for the boot partition.

Since your internal hard-disk is in MBR/MS-DOS mode and CSM is enabled, Win 10 and LM are very likely installed in Legacy BIOS mode.
....... IOW, your UEFI computer's BIOS setup settings determine whether an OS is installed in UEFI or Legacy BIOS mode. The Live LM or Win 10 Install media(DVD or USB-stick) is in hybrid UEFI and Legacy BIOS modes and will install according to your BIOS setup settings, ie if your BIOS setup settings are set to UEFI mode, the OS will be auto-installed in UEFI mode and if your BIOS setup settings are in Legacy BIOS mode, the OS will be auto-installed in Legacy BIOS mode.

MBR/MS-DOS disks = maximum 4 Primary partitions and 2.2TB in size. GPT disks are not limited by these factors.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Should be inxi -Fxz
jimmer

Post by jimmer »

ok thanks mike, so yes it was set to uefi first, where it should be set to legacy, that way the Live LM USB will automatically instal it in legacy.

i did get the message asking if i wanted for for uefi install, i pressed GO BACK but it must have continued in UEFI anyways.

so in setup i cna leave the setting as [both], but change to [legacy first] then re-install mint?
jimmer

Post by jimmer »

this is reult of that inxi -Fxz command now:

Code: Select all

mint@mint ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: mint Kernel: 4.8.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.7 (Qt 5.6.1)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine:   System: LENOVO (portable) product: 20AL007YUK v: ThinkPad X240
           Mobo: LENOVO model: 20AL007YUK v: 0B98401 PRO
           Bios: LENOVO v: GIET83WW (2.33 ) date: 08/25/2015
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-4200U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9178
           clock speeds: max: 2600 MHz 1: 1599 MHz 2: 1600 MHz 3: 1599 MHz
           4: 1066 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 12.0.6 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 8 Series HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Intel Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.8.0-53-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Ethernet Connection I218-LM
           driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: 3080 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: enp0s25 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Wireless 7260 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 279.9GB (1.4% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: SATA_SSD size: 256.1GB temp: 30C
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: SanDisk_SSD_U110 size: 16.0GB temp: 0C
           ID-3: USB /dev/sdc model: DataTraveler_G3 size: 7.8GB temp: 0C
           ID-1: swap-1 size: 4.19GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 3067
Info:      Processes: 189 Uptime: 1:12 Memory: 742.1/7862.8MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

jimmer wrote:ok thanks mike, so yes it was set to uefi first, where it should be set to legacy, that way the Live LM USB will automatically instal it in legacy.

i did get the message asking if i wanted for for uefi install, i pressed GO BACK but it must have continued in UEFI anyways.

so in setup i cna leave the setting as [both], but change to [legacy first] then re-install mint?
Seems, your Win 10 had been installed in Legacy BIOS mode but LM 18.2 Kde was subsequently installed in UEFI mode = no Grub entry for Win 10 and it could not be booted.

Yes, the BIOS setup settings should be in Legacy BIOS mode(eg Secure Boot disabled and CSM enabled), you should delete all the Linux partitions and reinstall LM. For the manual "Something else" install method, ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is /sda or the internal hard-drive.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

In answer to your question about how to tell the mode:
To see the boot mode of the installed Mint, boot your installed Mint and enter this command in a terminal:

ls /sys/firmware
If you see "efi" listed in the output, the live Mint USB is booted in UEFI/EFI mode. If it's not listed, you're booted in Legacy/Bios mode.
If you want to get fancy with it, you can enter the command:

[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "Currently in EFI mode" || echo "Currently in Legacy mode"
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
jimmer

Post by jimmer »

happy days. got it working at last.
thanks a lot for all the help.
i just needed to know which were the correct settings in Setup and ha dfootered aout with them on the first install which was the problem

i think i used a command which only showed me that Mint was in uefi mode, and mistook that to mean windows was too, a fair assumption given age etc.
so re-installed with setting given by micheal louwe for setup, and both OSsnow showing at start up.

Mint does now seem a tiny bit more glitchy than last time. perhaps i should have checked the install media first. anyhow i'm now going back through re-doing all the settings i had already done in previous install, optimising for SSD etc.

thanks again, especially to micheal louwe : )
michael louwe

Re: [Solved] lost windows 10 boot option

Post by michael louwe »

@ jimmer,.......

You are welcome. Glad to hear of your success.

To give myself confidence in OS installation and disk partitioning, I have a Win 7 Install/Recovery DVD and Live LM 17.3 DVD ready as back-ups, just in case of messing-up or clicking accidents.
jimmer

Re: [Solved] lost windows 10 boot option

Post by jimmer »

yes, i may should get round to making a bootable windows 10 stick, to go with the mint one. apparently it's possible...

Return to “Installation & Boot”