Linux Mint 18.2 began freezing up after install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rbsudo
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint 18.2 began freezing up after install

Post by rbsudo »

Here's what happened after I installed LM 18.2 Cinnamon on another desktop I have (Dell Inspiron 531) just a few days ago.

After the initial install and updates were done, including new drivers, it booted up ok.
After a few minutes, after left unattended, it would freeze up......tried Ctrl-Alt-F1 but no luck.....had to do a power off/power back on to boot again.

The next thing that happened was that after it started, and I was browsing around on the internet, the screen went completely black and only thing to do was power off/power back on again.

After a couple of those mixed experiences with all the above, the next and worst thing to happen was that the computer finally would not boot up at all.
I was still getting the power light and when I placed my hand on the power supply fan (in back of the case), the fan was working.

After reading on my other computer about the possibilities that can prevent a computer from booting up, I decided to open the case and see if the other fans were dirty or
not functioning, etc., especially the CPU fan. But I found they were all clean and working properly.

The next thing I did was to re-seat the two memory sticks (1 Gb each). I did that in place....just popped them out and pressed them back in.

I put the panel back on, connected the pc back up, and lo and behold, it booted and LM began working. I left it on overnight and so far it's been working fine.

LM 18.2 is working very well on this old pc so far.

I'm posting this in case someone has a similar situation and nothing seems to work for them.... it might be worth a try to reseat the memory sticks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon.. 64-bit
Windows 11
rbsudo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 18.2 began freezing up after install

Post by rbsudo »

I'll give this a few more days before I mark it Solved.
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon.. 64-bit
Windows 11

Return to “Installation & Boot”