Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MC Urist
Level 1
Level 1

Please Help - No Working Operating System and USBs won't Boot

Post by MC Urist »

Model: Acer Aspire E15 E5-573G-52G3

This model came preinstalled with windows. Here are the steps leading up to the problem. In order to do a complete install of Linux Mint 18.2 I

1. Downloaded an ISO from Linux Mint's Website
2. Downloaded Yumi and made a bootable USB with Fat32
3. Went into BIOS via f2 and changed all USB options to highest boot priority.
USB was not being recognized.
4. I tried turning off secure boot. Didn't work.
5. Switched to Legacy mode. Now the USB was being recognized.

Now I was able to boot from the USB. However after selecting "Mint" the screen repeated an error from the top to the bottom saying "19 printk messages dropped...Noveau..." with many numbers. There was a counter on each error counting the seconds going by to 5 decimal places.

6. I turned off the system and tried booting into Mint from the USB again

This time the same error displayed on and off during loading, but booted into Mint anyway.

7. I installed Mint choosing the "erase hard drive and install Mint"
Upon shutting down after installation the system displayed a screen of errors and I had to do a hardcore shutdown.

**Final Situation:** If I boot from uefi it states "No Bootable Device"
If I boot from Legacy it states "Media test failure, check cable. PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM." Both uefi and legacy refuses to recognize any bootable USB now. I attempted using another USB and also using Rufus instead of Yumi to no avail.

Checking online it seems these problems are synonymous with Acer. The most popular solution was, in UEFI, to go into
"Select an UEFI file as trusted for executing" and navigate to the bootable USB. I did this, but it was empty. To my demise I actually found out this particular model of Acer has this option PERMANENTLY DISABLED. Thanks Windows

The second solution was to move Network Boot to the bottom of boot priority. This changed nothing.

Lastly I tried selecting USB manually via F12, but USB was not displayed in either Legacy or UEFI.

Help is appreciated. I've read countless forums.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Please Help - No Working Operating System and USBs won't Boot

Post by catweazel »

Some of those Acer laptops are hard-wired to boot only from an NVMe device. You should first check your hardware specifications to see if it has a hybrid SSD/HDD setup, then you should check your BIOS settings to see of the HDD is set to RAID mode, which is how the hybrid SSD/HDD is set up. If it is in RAID mode, you're going to have to kill the RAID setting to get any Linux installed. Killing the RAID setting will also clobber Windwoes completely.

Assuming you can boot into some environment, start a terminal and post the output of this command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Enclose the results in code markers, which you can select from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply. Please note that F in -Fxz is an upper case F.

PS: I know that my comments about RAID don't deal with the issues you've mentioned but it is the first logical place to start troubleshooting what's going on.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

@ MC Urist, .......
Checking online it seems these problems are synonymous with Acer. The most popular solution was, in UEFI, to go into
"Select an UEFI file as trusted for executing" and navigate to the bootable USB. I did this, but it was empty. To my demise I actually found out this particular model of Acer has this option PERMANENTLY DISABLED. Thanks Windows
Please try the fix for the above problem at these links ... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=254948
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=243338

Or you should use Legacy BIOS mode to install LM as a single-boot and try the fix for Nvidia graphics card at ...
https://linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_cinnamon.php
MC Urist
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MC Urist »

Using UEFI and another USB port the computer successfully booted from the USB. I'm unsure why it worked this time. I doubt the USB port is bad as my mouse works from it, but I'll take precautions. This computer is a HDD. In BIOS I found no setting or anything displaying "RAID" or "SATA".

Code: Select all

mint@mint ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: mint Kernel: 4.8.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.3 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine:   System: Acer product: Aspire E5-573G v: V3.72
           Mobo: Acer model: ZORO_BH v: Type2 - A01 Board Version
           Bios: Insyde v: V1.35 date: 11/30/2015
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-5200U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8799
           clock speeds: max: 2700 MHz 1: 2099 MHz 2: 2099 MHz 3: 2099 MHz
           4: 2099 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 940M] bus-ID: 04:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.05hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 12.0.6 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Intel Broadwell-U Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.8.0-53-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 4000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros Device 0042
           driver: ath10k_pci bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1016.2GB (1.0% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ01ABD1 size: 1000.2GB temp: 25C
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: USB_2.0_FD size: 16.0GB temp: 0C
Partition: ID-1: swap-1 size: 8.50GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 44.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 213 Uptime: 1 min Memory: 513.1/7897.3MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
Please try the fix for the above problem at these links ... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=254948
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=243338

Or you should use Legacy BIOS mode to install LM as a single-boot and try the fix for Nvidia graphics card at ...
https://linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_cinnamon.php
Regarding the second link I'm not interested in dual booting. Is it still relevant? I don't understand what you mean by Nvidia graphics card, but I am attempting a second install in UEFI (Legacy wouldn't work, and UEFI worked only this time). I'm reading through the first link.
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

@ MC Urist, .......

Try the fix at this link(= just a BIOS firmware update required) ... viewtopic.php?t=212487
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

MC Urist wrote:Using UEFI and another USB port the computer successfully booted from the USB.
Possibly: USB2 versus USB3. I've seen that problem before.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MC Urist
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MC Urist »

Try the fix at this link(= just a BIOS firmware update required) ... viewtopic.php?t=212487
I will work on updating BIOS. Unfortunately it seems updating BIOS without Windows is somewhat dangerous and complicated.
http://community.acer.com/t5/Nitro-and- ... m-p/464601
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Moem wrote:
MC Urist wrote:Using UEFI and another USB port the computer successfully booted from the USB.
Possibly: USB2 versus USB3. I've seen that problem before.
Indeed. The standard fix is to check BIOS to ensure that xhci handoff is enabled.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Moem wrote:Possibly: USB2 versus USB3. I've seen that problem before.
It seems that USB3 is poorly implemented by some manufacturers meaning that using a USB2 port instead often solves the issue, even with a USB3 flash stick.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
Jaydemir
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jaydemir »

IF I'm not mistaken, there are two ways to boot into the Mint USB; one will be UEFI mode, and one will be Legacy. (When you hit the F button to view your boot devices, you should see TWO options for the same USB. That's what I'm referring to.)

I have some stubborn HP elitebook that for whatever reason won't boot Mint from UEFI on the hard drive despite being able to boot straight from the USB in UEFI Mode. I had to make sure I installed Mint in legacy mode for it to boot. You might have the same issue.

If all else fails, find an old junky core2duo desktop, put the hard drive in it, install Mint, pull the drive and pop it in your laptop. Since it isn't windows, you wont BSOD from changing computers. I've had to do this numerous times with different machines that just straight up didn't want to boot into the installer.

Hope this helps.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Jaydemir wrote:IF I'm not mistaken, there are two ways to boot into the Mint USB; one will be UEFI mode, and one will be Legacy. (When you hit the F button to view your boot devices, you should see TWO options for the same USB. That's what I'm referring to.)
I've never seen these two boot options (legacy and UEFI) shown in a list of boot devices like you describe. What I have seen is a setting in the BIOS which can be set to either legacy or EFI/UEFI, and whatever it's set as, that's how whatever you are installing gets installed.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Jaydemir
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jaydemir »

Moem wrote:
Jaydemir wrote:IF I'm not mistaken, there are two ways to boot into the Mint USB; one will be UEFI mode, and one will be Legacy. (When you hit the F button to view your boot devices, you should see TWO options for the same USB. That's what I'm referring to.)
I've never seen these two boot options (legacy and UEFI) shown in a list of boot devices like you describe. What I have seen is a setting in the BIOS which can be set to either legacy or EFI/UEFI, and whatever it's set as, that's how whatever you are installing gets installed.
It probably depends on the machine, but when I hit F9 on my HP laptop with a Live USB plugged in, my boot options usually resemble (going off vague memory here):

1. DVD drive
2. USB Flash Drive 1
3. Hard Drive
4. UEFI: USB Flash Drive 1
5. etc

--------------------

The live USB images of any Linux distro with UEFI support will have two options to boot into. The plain "USB Flash Drive 1" example would be the legacy option, whereas the UEFI: USB Flash Drive 1 would boot into UEFI mode and therefore would install as such.
adamofb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by adamofb »

Hi

I have an Acer Aspire 3810T. About five years ago I had exactly the same problem as you now have. My problem is now solved, and it took me many years to fully solve this issue. And so, to avoid wasting a lot of time, this is probably the only thing that will solve this for you, and in fact there are many bonuses to doing things this way.

First, it is necessary to accept that it is not possible to boot from the hard disk drive.

I have been able to boot from both Usb and from SD Card on this particular computer. YET ...
I just a few weeks ago got a new computer, and that computer only boots from Usb, not SD anymore.

Things get worse not better with this issue ...

Ok, now we must accept that a Usb Live Image is the way to go. This means that, every time we reboot, we are back to the beginning again. This may sound like a bad idea yet if we screw up our system (which is very easy to do and happens often in Linux), then this is a GOD SEND.

Ok, so how do we solve for the best of both worlds? What we do is we REMASTER our USB and there is, fortunately a very easy way to do this, though it is not widely known about.

So ... boot to your live Usb Stick and install some applications and do some customising. Get a bit scared you might have to reboot? ok, now do this:

Make a work folder.

If you have an old version in it, remove it:

rm filesystem.squashfs
rm filesystem.size

sudo mksquashfs / filesystem.squashfs -wildcards -no-recovery -e media/mint/* cdrom rofs proc/* sys/* tmp/* run/* dev/*
sudo chown $USER:$USER filesystem.squashfs

sudo printf $(du -sx --block-size=1 filesystem.squashfs | cut -f1) > filesystem.size

Copy the files to your usb casper folder (on a spare stick please, you need to use one stick to make another)

Now reboot to your new stick and you are away ...

Make more mods, repeat the above on your first stick ... you have a traditional father / son update aproach to remastering your usb sticks.

Put it all in a file called remaster.sh and make it executable and you have a one-click remaster solution.

You will need the squashfs tools installed, which is a small thing.

Welcome to the LIve Usb Remastering Club.

(note - i messed around with casper-rw and home-rw and this all works, yet its best to have a fully restorable system - just reboot and all is good again. Once you experience this you will not want to install to a hard drive ever again.

There are certain limitations to this method and all these can be worked around using symbolic links normally, and not storing anything in home. I normally create my hard disk drive as DataVolume and swap and store everything there, making a mint folder on it to contain anything I symlink from home on the usb stick. For example .config and .local files can go in there. If you need help after getting all of this way into it and wanting to continue, you can mail me direct at adam von bremen at web dot de.

Good luck
Adam
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

MC Urist wrote:in UEFI, to go into
"Select an UEFI file as trusted for executing" and navigate to the bootable USB. I did this, but it was empty. To my demise I actually found out this particular model of Acer has this option PERMANENTLY DISABLED.
This is bad news and would require a reflash of your firmware, but did you set a supervisor/admin password in UEFI setup? I couldn't change secure boot related options before doing so.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...

Return to “Installation & Boot”