Ryzen build is a mess [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Krummi

Ryzen build is a mess [SOLVED]

Post by Krummi »

Scratching my head over this one...

Been running Linux Mint on my FX8320 system for years and it has (almost) never given me problems. I just upgraded my system and set up a Ryzen 8 core running my old nVidia 960 graphics card. Wanted to do a clean install of Mint 18.2 but have run into severe issues, such as having to install under recovery mode because 18.2 simply does not want to run on this build! After jumping through way too many hoops, for a distro that is supposedly user friendly (not that I mind, been using Linux since the 90's, but still), I got it up and running, well partially.

After activating the nVidia drivers, version 375.66, I reboot, log in only to be greeted with a Cinnamon crash. I get a window saying "Cinnamon just crashed. You are currently in fallback mode". Furthermore, the nvidia drivers are not loaded properly. Back to trying to track this problem down and it seems to be related to the fact that I upgraded my kernel to 4.11.0-14, just to get Mint running on my machine! The default 4.8 was unstable on this system and I have read that 4.11 has what a Ryzen system needs. In any case, I struggle to find a good description of the problem and what is required to fix it? I understand that it is something to do with 4.11 and the latest nVidia drivers not being kosher with each other but surely I am not the only Linux Mint person running Ryzen with nVidia graphics who has run into this? I am also struggling to figure out why a distro like Mint would provide 4.11 if it is broken in this fashion. Fedora, I would understand, but Mint? I moved away from the more experimental distros and settled for Mint since it was stable (Getting older so I want to use my system more than I tinker with it). One recommendation elsewhere that I received was simply to move to Fedora.

In any case, wanted to see if anybody had any good advise so I could stay with Mint! Been enjoying the ride so far...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Ryzen build is a mess

Post by fabien85 »

Hi,
I'm frankly no expert on hardware support, just wanted to say that my laptop is running Mint Cinnamon 18.2, kernel 4.11.0-14 together with the nvidia-375.66 driver, and that works without a hitch. So I dont think it's a problem of software incompatibility, it's something with the hardware. Personally I have a recent intel CPU, and a different graphic card, so I guess it's either of these elements that make the difference.
It seems that there are several other nvidia drivers for the GTX 960, some of which are more recent than the 375.66, eg https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/123918 but you can find other by performing a search on https://www.geforce.com/drivers. I would start by trying to get a stable system first without nvidia, ie using the nouveau driver or using fallback mode, then once it's stable try all nvidia drivers compatible with your card until you get one that's stable. The graphic driver PPA providing the latest nvidia drivers should be of help (see eg instructions here : http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/how- ... s-in-linux).
This is all in my limited expertise.

(and the thread may be better located in the "hardware support" section of the forum)
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Don't quote me... I think I remember reading something about it best avoiding Ryzen until 18.3 is released.

No issues here with those NIVIDA drivers under intel. AMD has been pretty much broken since 17.3. I'd wait for the dev's to catch up with Ryzen or battle on with a buggy system for a bit.
Krummi

Post by Krummi »

Thanks guys. I just downloaded Fedora, to see if that does any better at this stage. I should add that the system is stable, outside of Cinnamon crashing and nVidia drivers not working, but in terms of stability I am fine. Just a little sad knowing that I might have to switch distros, which I wasn't planning on...
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

I am.using ryzen, kernel 4.10 and an Nvidia gtx 970

I would be happy to assist. Start by posting your system specs.
Krummi

Post by Krummi »

Just wanted to add that I have fixed my problems, which were dkms related. Not sure what went wrong there but after tinkering, I have 4.11.0 kernel running with the latest nVidia 387 drivers. I guess things have changed a bit since I was tinkering last time so it felt satisfying fixing these issues!
eddier

Post by eddier »

:wink:
Krummi

Post by Krummi »

Mr_raider - I just discovered that I have no sound from my Realtek ALC1220A chipset which seems to have been set up to be supported around the 4.11 Kernel. I have an Asus Prime X370-Pro motherboard. Any tip you can share for getting sound out of the box?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Krummi wrote:Scratching my head over this one...
Upgrade your kernel to at least 4.11. I run a self-compiled 4.13.7 and it runs like a dream on my Ryzen kit.

Edit: Scratch that. I see you've made the change.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Krummi wrote:Mr_raider - I just discovered that I have no sound from my Realtek ALC1220A chipset which seems to have been set up to be supported around the 4.11 Kernel. I have an Asus Prime X370-Pro motherboard. Any tip you can share for getting sound out of the box?
I have a b350 which uses alc892 so no issues. As stated, 4.11 should solve alc1220 issues:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... Linux-4.11
Retic1959

Post by Retic1959 »

Krummi wrote:Mr_raider - I just discovered that I have no sound from my Realtek ALC1220A chipset which seems to have been set up to be supported around the 4.11 Kernel. I have an Asus Prime X370-Pro motherboard. Any tip you can share for getting sound out of the box?
You might wanna try going to 4.13 , heres an easy way to do it . https://mintguide.org/system/813-instal ... -mint.html

Return to “Installation & Boot”