Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rgand
Level 4
Level 4

Update Manager Question [SOLVED]

Post by rgand » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:01 pm

This is a question that has been on my mind for a while. It doesn't cause me any grief but it is curious. On this computer, I have two installations of Mint Cinnamon 18.2. One is an upgrade from 18.1 and one is a fresh installation. The upgrade version is my main OS and I upgraded it because I wanted to keep all my previous work configuring the way I like. I usually boot to that one but keep the 18.2 version because I may need it as a backup. Both versions share the same user files and folders. There are only a couple things that I don't share successfully like Thunderbird and a couple other applications that don't like to share files with another OS.

My question is this: when I see updates in the update manager in the upgraded installation (indicated by the blue (!) on the icon), I update the system and re-boot to the other installation to update it there, too. Invariably, the update manager in the fresh installation doesn't show any updates available until I open the update manager and manually refresh it. Is this typical of a fresh Mint 18.2 installation? Is there a flaw in the 18.2 update manager that my upgraded installation isn't prone to because of the carried over files from the 18.1 installation?

I appreciate any insight on this and will understand if it isn't something that can be answered easily. RG

By the way, Mint Cinnamon 18.2 is really a great OS. It's smoother, quicker and a little more elegant than 18.1 and certainly better than any other version of Linux I've tried. Kudos to the team for their continuing work to keep Mint such a fine system.
Last edited by rgand on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smile, it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Update Manager Question

Post by xenopeek » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:09 pm

Auto-refresh (in Update Manager > Edit > Preferences) is set to first refresh the list of updates 10 minutes after boot and then every 2 hours after that. So immediately after booting up, it won't have yet refreshed the list of updates on its own.

rgand
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Update Manager Question

Post by rgand » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:49 pm

I had no idea that was the way it worked. That explains it. I appreciate your pointing that out. I'll be patient next time and if I still want to be impatient, I can always reduce the time to maybe 5 minutes or something. Thanks for the insight. I'll mark this thread solved.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Update Manager Question [SOLVED]

Post by xenopeek » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:04 pm

Just hit the Refresh button in Update Manager yourself on your second install :wink:

rgand
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Update Manager Question [SOLVED]

Post by rgand » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:15 pm

I've been doing that but I wondered if there was a flaw in the system. I just didn't understand the way it worked. Thanks for the great direction.

Return to “Installation & Boot”