Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
CliveMcCarthy
Level 2
Level 2

Lenovo Yoga 720 Mint 18.2 installation

Postby CliveMcCarthy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:12 pm

I'm posting this in hopes that it will help others. The Lenovo Yoga is a decent piece of hardware but installing Mint 18.2 is difficult.

The Mint ISO DVD won't install because the machine needs a kernel 4.10 or later. The first task is to re-spin an ISO DVD to include 4.10 or a later release. Installation is then possible. I am told that 18.3 will be OK.

bbaker6212 suggested Linuxium's ISO respin script which allows you to create a custom ISO with the latest kernel --- it worked.

Once installed you will find that WiFi and the Nvidia driver both work and so does the touch screen and the stylus pen. However, the lower power Intel GPU doesn't work, the touch pad doesn't work and the fingerprint reader does not work.

I read that kernel 4.14 has support for the touch pad so I installed 4.14-rc5 (using Ukuu) which did fix the touch pad issue but busted the WiFi and use of the Nvidia graphics.

My hope is that with a stable 4.14 all will be good.

catweazel
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Lenovo Yoga 720 Mint 18.2 installation

Postby catweazel » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:52 am

CliveMcCarthy wrote:I read that kernel 4.14 has support for the touch pad so I installed 4.14-rc5 (using Ukuu) which did fix the touch pad issue but busted the WiFi and use of the Nvidia graphics.

There are a number of warnings for potential readers of your post that you've neglected to deal with. First, that kernel is only a release candidate (rc5) so bugs should be expected, and a release candidate should never be put on a production machine. Second, if wifi and nvidia proprietary drivers broke then reinstalling them will rectify the situation however the smart thing to do is to uninstall them before the kernel upgrade.

The larger problem for Yoga owners is the SSD/HDD configuration on the cheaper versions. The system is set to RAID in the BIOS, which causes the (tiny) SSD to act as a cache for the HDD. Installing any linux on a machine with a hybrid SSD/HDD setup requires the RAID array to be broken by changing to AHCI, thus b0rking Windwoes in the process.

Additionally, a search of the forum reveals a number of posts that would be valuable to Yoga owners if they read them.
If your problem is fixed, please mark your thread as [SOLVED] by editing the title of the first message in the thread.

CliveMcCarthy
Level 2
Level 2

Postby CliveMcCarthy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:34 pm

I quite agree.

CliveMcCarthy
Level 2
Level 2

Postby CliveMcCarthy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:25 am

Good news. With Kernel 4.14.rc8 the touch pad works as does the WiFi. The Nvidia GPU isn't functioning but the Intel graphics is quite OK.

As previously mentioned, it's important to disable UEFI and set legacy mode in the BIOS.

Return to “Installation & Boot”