Lenovo C260 won't shutdown with LM 18.2

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cigydd

Lenovo C260 won't shutdown with LM 18.2

Post by Cigydd »

Hello folks,

I've installed LM 17.3 and upgraded from it to 18.2 Sonya. In both versions, I had problems shutting down my mom's all-in-one PC, which is Lenovo C260. After pressing the power button shortly, I select to shut down. Everything goes OK, the shutdown screen with the Mint logo appears, and the progress bar points are moving until the disk drive light gets off and the computer freezes.

Code: Select all

pavel@Pavel ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: Pavel Kernel: 4.11.0-14-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine:   System: LENOVO product: 10160 v: Lenovo C260
           Mobo: LENOVO model: INVALID v: SDK0F82993 WIN
           Bios: LENOVO v: IXKT21AUS date: 06/17/2014
CPU:       Dual core Intel Celeron J1800 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9662
           clock speeds: max: 2582 MHz 1: 1653 MHz 2: 1472 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1600x900@59.97hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Bay Trail
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.11.0-14-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 1000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: ath9k bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 531.6GB (5.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST500DM002 size: 500.1GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Storage_Media size: 31.5GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 454G used: 11G (3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
           ID-2: /boot size: 473M used: 171M (39%) fs: ext2 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 4.18GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-2
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 177 Uptime: 4 min Memory: 781.3/3839.6MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
Tried to get the last messages from the syslog but I'm a bit confused about where the shutdown happens.

If I issue a reboot, the system reboots without problem; but it hangs if powered off.

Tried the acpi=force kernel parameter from another forum post but with no success.

Any clues?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Lenovo C260 won't shutdown with LM 18.2

Post by kukamuumuka »

I have one Intel-mobo computer which shutdown only using command

su -c 'shutdown -h 0 &&  /sbin/poweroff -d -f -h -i '
Cigydd

Post by Cigydd »

Thank you for your response, @administrollaattori.

I've tried you command but with a modification. I don't have any root password so I have to use sudo. So I made a small script

#!/bin/bash
shutdown -h 0 && /sbin/poweroff -d -f -h -i
and ran it with sudo.
It's interesting that I'm informed on the command line that a shutdown was scheduled but then the computer simply freezes without any visual signs of trying to switch off.

Edit: Tried another time with this script and the normal shutdown screen appeared and the computer froze again, just as usual. So this command just doesn’t help.
Cigydd

Post by Cigydd »

The problem actually happens in the /sbin/poweroff -d -f -h -i part.
Cigydd

Post by Cigydd »

BTW, the -h and -i options for the poweroff program are undocumented, at least on the Linux Mint’s man page. But it actually accepted them. I don’t know if they worked.
Cigydd

Post by Cigydd »

OK, no one seems to know an answer. Where else should I ask? kernel.org? "Ask Ubuntu"?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

did you check the boot log?
Try turning off Secure Boot in the UEFI BIOS?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Cigydd

Post by Cigydd »

The Secure Boot is already disabled on that machine.
I’ll try to post a system log for you to review. I'm not sure what to search for therein.
I’m having trouble with identifying the shutdown time in the system logs. I can’t use dmesg because its output starts with bootup. Could you help me to find the boot point?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Look for "Log File Viewer". Put in Menu Search box and find it. On MATE it's this command

gksu mate-system-log
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Cigydd

Post by Cigydd »

Wow! Didn’t know about this utility. What an amazing thing. Thank you very much, @Spearmint2, for the info! Now it’s clear when & where the computer shut down and where it booted again.
Here’s a Github gist of the machine’s syslog containing a portion that remained there from before the bootup:
https://gist.github.com/Cigydd/fed21c47 ... b5a277a16f
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Nov 23 23:56:56 pavel systemd[1]: Started Hostname Service.
Nov 23 23:56:57 pavel dbus[999]: [system] Activating service name='org.opensuse.CupsPkHelper.Mechanism' (using servicehelper)
Nov 23 23:56:58 pavel dbus[999]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.opensuse.CupsPkHelper.Mechanism'
Nov 23 23:56:58 pavel kernel: [ 80.278000] FAT-fs (sdb1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
Nov 23 23:56:58 pavel udisksd[2157]: Mounted /dev/sdb1 at /media/pavel/MAMINKA on behalf of uid 1026
Nov 23 23:57:00 pavel org.fedoraproject.Config.Printing[1904]: (scp-dbus-service.py:2151): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_thaw_toplevel_updates: assertion 'window->update_and_descendants_freeze_count > 0' failed
Nov 23 23:57:07 pavel systemd[1]: Starting Stop ureadahead data collection...
Nov 23 23:57:07 pavel systemd[1]: Stopped Read required files in advance.
Nov 23 23:57:07 pavel systemd[1]: Started Stop ureadahead data collection.
Looks like you have a corrupted drive problem. Do what it says to have fsck to repair it. I'd use fsck.fat on that USB drive. Have you tried booting with the USB flashdrive not plugged in and then done shutdown?
Cigydd

Post by Cigydd »

Good point! Will look at that in the morning, it’s 0:45AM here.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Cigydd wrote:Good point! Will look at that in the morning, it’s 0:45AM here.
I'm also curious why something from Fedora is on the system. It may just be something I'm unfamiliar with however.
Cigydd

Post by Cigydd »

I tried to install some hplip tools to solve issues with sharing the printer via CUPS, the Fedora thing can come from them. I'll probably start a new thread about that if I find the time.
Cigydd

Post by Cigydd »

Repaired the USB flash drive. It had only the dirty bit set after a bad unmount.

Well, but the USB stick plugged in apparently isn’t the cause. Booted without it and on shutdown the computer froze again.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

That's all I saw in posted log file. I'm out of ideas. You can look around other log files, maybe find the culprit. It is a Lenovo, don't know if a Signature series, but I do know those have problems using linux at times.
Cigydd

Post by Cigydd »

It’s an all-in-one desktop. See it here:
https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-C260-5733 ... B00Y013JKI

I don’t think it is a Signature Edition product. I don’t remember the manuals or Lenovo hardware care programs for Windows mentioning such a word.

For the case you or anyone else would be interested in resolving this riddle and mystery, I posted kern.log in addition. But as I see, it’s only a subset of syslog:
https://gist.github.com/Cigydd/b6439955 ... 05b87723ac

I can’t find any more logs that could be connected to this problem as I consider it a kernel/hardware issue.

One moment, I left an audio CD in the DVD drive. Couldn’t this be the case? Will test without it and let you know.

Edit: Removed the audio CD but no success.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Here's the problem with some of Lenovos. Recently their BIOS started some sort of inbuilt RAID system for hard drives, and as I recall it's not even same as other RAID systems.

As I type I will see if I can find something on it for you to put into this message.

It's not just a problem in Linux, but also for Windows users who want to do clean install on them. Problem is retail outlets don't mention it at all to new buyers. Most probably don't even realize that. I'm not sure if that applies to your model, I'll look around for it specifically and see what I can find. Here's some articles you can read about it.

https://www.bit-tech.net/news/tech/lapt ... os-lock/1/

You can also google "lenovo bios raid" and also add "OS blocking" to a second search with those first terms and find more. You might have noticed it's mostly just you and me in this thread, LOL, and that may be why. Many see "Lenovo" in a thread and pass it by. It happens in windows forums too.
Users have taken to social media to complain that the storage device in these laptops is locked into a RAID mode - an odd choice for a single-drive system - which is exclusively compatible with Windows 10 with the installation of a Lenovo-penned driver module. Those attempting to install any other operating system - including older versions of Windows - find the storage device entirely absent from the list of places on which to install said operating system.

'Our Yoga design requires very specific, complex and unique drivers that require even greater amounts of testing, to ensure class-leading performance with Windows 10. To support our Yoga products and our industry-leading 360-hinge design in the best way possible we have used a storage controller mode that is unfortunately not supported by Linux and as a result, does not allow Linux to be installed,' Lenovo has claimed in a statement on the matter, published late last night. 'Beyond the controller setup limitation, other advanced capabilities of the Yoga design would likely not work with current Linux offerings. Lenovo does not intentionally block customers using other operating systems such as Linux on Yoga or any of its devices and is fully committed to providing Linux certifications and installation guidance on a wide range of suitable products.'
see more in article.

From what I'm seeing, this is a C version instead of the P series, but it still seems it also has this RAID type BIOS in it.

Here's your model in another unsuccessful attempt at ubuntu forums, but some success with Xunbuntu. I have no idea why that worked for him but not Ubuntu itself.
https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index. ... 94833.html

The Hardware Manual - It's page 20-25 you would read. I looks terrible in my FF, but a copy/paste of each page into text manager made it readable.
http://www.manualshelf.com/manual/lenov ... anual.html

So, you are already ahead of them, managed to get Linux installed on it, but have that shutdown problem. If you have it set to AHCI mode in the BIOS, shutdown shouldn't be a problem. Maybe a look in there to see if it's on AHCI or RAID setting would give a clue.

Latest BIOS for that model. If it's newer than what you have, then installing it may help the problem.
http://www.driversforlenovo.com/update- ... pdate.html
https://workaround.org/article/updating ... ash-stick/

Last, but certainly not least, seems a fix has been found for those having problem even loading linux on this computer model. I would bookmark it if you.

https://sourceforge.net/p/escuelaslinux ... -computer/

See, you aren't doing too bad at all if your only problem is a forced shutdown.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/815116/ ... erformance

https://certification.ubuntu.com/certif ... &level=Any

You might be able to use some of these linux capable files for the c260. another bookmark for you.
http://www.driversforlenovo.com/downloa ... use-o-381/
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Tried the acpi=force kernel parameter from another forum post but with no success.
That's because it's not in BIOS, instead it's AHCI.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_ ... _Interface

Maybe upgrading to a newer kernel will fix the problem. You will then have option in grub to boot the older one if necessary.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3123075 ... osoft.html

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3122593 ... doing.html
Cigydd

Post by Cigydd »

Wow! So much helpful information at once! I just have to thank you many times just for this :) Will report any progress I make.

Return to “Installation & Boot”