[SOLVED] Linux Mint installation - Stuck on grub2-package

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gulgana

[SOLVED] Linux Mint installation - Stuck on grub2-package

Post by Gulgana »

Hello dear Community,

so yesterday i decided to install Linux Mint on my Laptop. I never did that before and never used Linux before.
The Problem is, that the Installation stops at the installation of grub2.
- I'm using an ACER Spin 1 (SP111-31-C79E) and i'm booting with an usb-stick formatted with Rufus or Unetbootin.
- I have disabled Secure Boot and the internet connection.
- Most of the time i tried installing Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64bit. I also tried Mate and Ubuntu instead and i got the same problem. When i tried with 32 bit i wasn't able to boot at all.
- I selected a clean install -> Windows has already been deleted. Just now i tried to install windows again, because i thought it might work with dual-boot. When i try to boot the windows iso, it fails because some efi-file from the windows system is missing or corrupted (obviously because windows is deinstalled? I don't really get it)

Now I am clueless and i think i fragged my Laptop. :D Anybody got an idea how to fix it in some way? (Preferably by installing Linux) Like install Mint without grub2 and installing it later?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lostfarmer

Re: Linux Mint installation - Stuck on grub2-package

Post by lostfarmer »

ACER is not a friendly computer to install linux on. see if this infor helps: https://askubuntu.com/questions/851742/ ... al-booting

I have no first hand experience with ACER. you may do a search at the ubuntu site for more info. https://ubuntuforums.org
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Gulgana wrote: .......
Certain high-end OEM Win 8.x/10 computers, eg Acer, Asus and HP, have an obstructive or pro-M$ BIOS setting for "select an UEFI file as trusted for executing", .......
https://itsfoss.com/no-bootable-device-found-ubuntu/
viewtopic.php?t=236560
... The above latest(= 2017) high-end OEM laptops may have even removed this BIOS setting(= cannot even boot a Live Linux USB/DVD), but may be restored by a new BIOS firmware update from the OEMs.

For single-booting LM, you should choose the automatic "Erase disk and install LM" install method. If you choose the manual "Something else" install method, you will need to create the EFI Boot Partition = fat32 file system, 550MB in size and /boot/efi as mount point, at the beginning of the disk. Ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is this EFI Boot Partition = /sda1.
prestonR

Post by prestonR »

I have disabled Secure Boot and the internet connection
You should leave the internet connected but do not tick the 'download needed software during installation' option. If it's an ethernet cable it's likely to work out of the box, if it's Wifi it might.
i think i fragged my Laptop
I don't think so. 8)

Check out this thread: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2353291 , the poster goes:
I
- disabled Secure Boot option in BIOS
- added an UEFI file as trusted for executing from the USB with installed Ubuntu in BIOS
- created bootable USB with rufus or directly from a computer with Ubuntu installed

Weirdly, the poster then finishes and marks the thread 'solved' with:
the solution is enabling "Network Boot" and "F12 Boot Menu" in BIOS

That bios must be very buggy if it needs "Network Boot" enabled, though. Remember that some Bios need a supervisor password to be set in order to show the 'Advanced Security' settings you need to make that efi file 'trusted'.
Gulgana

Post by Gulgana »

Thanks for the replies! I am still not able to get it to work. I already enabled network booting, before i couldn't even boot. I also already added the grub2-File to UEFI as trusted, but i think thats the fix for AFTER the installation. But my installer hangs before it can finish the installation of grub2. Even the error-messages are changing... I also tried manual partitioning and installing, but that didn't help either.

Is there a way to seperate the Linux Mint installation from the Grub2-installation? So i could install Mint and then install grub2 or another bootloader?
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Gulgana wrote:Thanks for the replies! I am still not able to get it to work. I already enabled network booting, before i couldn't even boot. I also already added the grub2-File to UEFI as trusted, but i think thats the fix for AFTER the installation. But my installer hangs before it can finish the installation of grub2. Even the error-messages are changing... I also tried manual partitioning and installing, but that didn't help either.

Is there a way to seperate the Linux Mint installation from the Grub2-installation? So i could install Mint and then install grub2 or another bootloader?
You can run installer without installing bootloader (grub), and after installation install rEFInd bootmanager (do not shutdown computer before than rEFInd is installed.
1. Run installer without installing grub

Code: Select all

ubiquity -b
2. Install rEFInd

sudo blkid  ## see what is efi-partition (fat32 esp)
sudo mount /dev/sdXY /boot  # where X=drive and Y=partition
Install rEFInd using Gdebi
3. Shutdown
4. Boot the computer

When the computer has booted up, install grub.
1. Add efi-partition to the /etc/fstab file (if not added)
2. mount efi-partition

sudo mount -a
3. Install grub

sudo -i
mkdir -p /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu
apt-get install grub-efi grub-efi-amd64
update-grub
sync
reboot
Last edited by kukamuumuka on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gulgana

Post by Gulgana »

Thx administrollaattori! This helped a lot. So i successfully installed Linux and rEFInd after that. When i rebootet i came into the rEFInd-menu and from there i could only go to grub, even though i didn't install it. And by grub i mean the grub-shell. i was able to boot with these directions: https://askubuntu.com/questions/21342/h ... ve-is-grub . Then i installed grub properly and now it's working. Thx again. This got solved. :D

Edit: Removed Edit. ^^
massimone

Re: [SOLVED] Linux Mint installation - Stuck on grub2-package

Post by massimone »

Hi,

I have got pretty much the same problem with a new Acer Aspire ES 15. The installation usually freezes during the grub2-installation. Installation without grub works though (ubiquity -b). I tried to install refind then, but the installation freezes while generating some private key. Blkid produces the following output:

/dev/sda1: UUID="779A-3D8F" TYPE="vfat" PARTLABEL="EFI System Partition" PARTUUID="94415cb1-b032-49ff-8edd-2f162df4e921"
/dev/sda2: UUID="602a3f3b-195f-4e60-9cff-1faa3e38a20f" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="12bbb914-b019-4be2-90c1-90b2fe8f0874"
/dev/sda3: UUID="0c5f05f9-1b3e-4a3f-9e5a-721662d1aca6" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="fca4668b-1e55-44dd-b5d4-19448e4412e6"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="2017-08-01-11-51-33-00" LABEL="Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS amd64" TYPE="iso9660" PTUUID="0d66cd15" PTTYPE="dos" PARTUUID="0d66cd15-01"
/dev/sdb2: SEC_TYPE="msdos" UUID="398E-230F" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="0d66cd15-02"
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
Any idea?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: [SOLVED] Linux Mint installation - Stuck on grub2-package

Post by Moem »

massimone wrote:Any idea?
Yes: start a new topic for your question. It's much more likely to be noticed than a comment on a topic that's marked as solved. And since you just read the forum guidelines (...you did, did you?) you know that a new question deserves a new topic.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Arantxa

Post by Arantxa »

administrollaattori wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:02 am
Gulgana wrote:Thanks for the replies! I am still not able to get it to work. I already enabled network booting, before i couldn't even boot. I also already added the grub2-File to UEFI as trusted, but i think thats the fix for AFTER the installation. But my installer hangs before it can finish the installation of grub2. Even the error-messages are changing... I also tried manual partitioning and installing, but that didn't help either.

You can run installer without installing bootloader (grub), and after installation install rEFInd bootmanager (do not shutdown computer before than rEFInd is installed.
1. Run installer without installing grub

ubiquity -b
2. Install rEFInd

sudo blkid  ## see what is efi-partition (fat32 esp)
sudo mount /dev/sdXY /boot  # where X=drive and Y=partition
Install rEFInd using Gdebi
3. Shutdown
4. Boot the computer

When the computer has booted up, install grub.
1. Add efi-partition to the /etc/fstab file (if not added)
2. mount efi-partition

sudo mount -a
3. Install grub

sudo -i
mkdir -p /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu
apt-get install grub-efi grub-efi-amd64
update-grub
sync
reboot
Hi, I tried this as I was having that same problem but after I install rEFInd it does not work for me, will it be possible to have your advice in the case of installing only linux mint, no partition?

Return to “Installation & Boot”