Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
chondricthyes
Level 1
Level 1

Black screen while booting from USB

Post by chondricthyes »

Hi hi! I'm having issues booting linux mint cinnamon from a bootable USB. First off, I don't know much about programming and computers, so I've been doing all of this with limited understanding. I'm trying to learn as I go, but it is a bit overwhelming. That is why I am posting this. I've found a lot here and on other websites referring to my issue, but there's a point where I don't understand the solutions people are proposing. Basically, I need linux mint for dummies.

So here's what's going on. I made a bootable USB for Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64 bit. I'm trying to install it on my Mid 2010 Macbook pro (2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, Intel HD Graphics 288 MB). I get to the GRUB screen, select Linux Mint, see the logo, hear the chime, and then my screen goes blank.
From my basic understanding, it's an issue with my Intel HD graphics driver and I need to find a workaround to run linux mint on my machine.

I've tried editing the command line with "nomodeset," followed all the suggestions from this forum post (viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257), as well as this article (https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/842) from the linux mint community, and a few other things I've found online. I've had no luck. Sometimes it boots with the logo and the chime, sometimes I only get a black screen with a dash in the top left corner, and sometimes I only get a plain black screen.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what else to try? I would really appreciate some help, especially if you can explain it in as simple terms as possible so that I can understand and learn what I am doing rather than just following directions. Let me know if I need to post any other specs about my computer (and what commands to run in terminal to do so). Thanks :)
decuser
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Black screen while booting from USB

Post by decuser »

I have the same issue and would appreciate an answer on this forum. I was able to Fn-Ctrl-Alt-F2 then Fn-Ctrl-Alt-F7 and get the graphic screen to refresh (show up), but that isn't a solution. Post install, it is the same story, but no chime (that comes after logging in). The screen being black does not prevent input being accepted, so after waiting for mint to boot, I can type my password and the chime will occur in a few seconds, but the only way to get the system to show is to go through the virtual console switch routine. This doesn't seem to be an issue with the KDE spin, but lo and behold that's going away with 18.3...
chondricthyes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chondricthyes »

Just an update, I was frustrated with not being able to install linux mint. I tried a different distro, ubuntu MATE, with no issues. It's running smoothly on my macbook. I'm content with it and glad something is working, and much faster than OSX.

Good luck to anyone else trying to solve this issue. From my limited understanding, it is possible, but with what seems to be a graphics driver issue, it's not an incredibly easy fix.
Glockdoc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Glockdoc »

I just put up what sounds like a similar post that shows a few below you.

Used Rufus to make an 18.2 live USB, checked the check sum, ended up with the black screen. Live USB worked fine on the old machine.

My solution was to use my 1st Mint 17.*usb I created. It installed fine then I upgraded to 18.2, used APTIK to move all my user info and settings, and am good to go.

Not sure what exactly the problem was, but this was the solution that worked for me.

I was installing on an ACER desktop with Free DOS being the OS that came with it.

Hope this helps someone.

JC

Return to “Installation & Boot”