Can't install Mint 18 XFCE on older laptop...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
farna
Level 3
Level 3

Can't install Mint 18 XFCE on older laptop...

Postby farna » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:21 pm

Laptop is an HP Omnibook 6000, 800 Mhz Pentium III Mobile, 512MB RAM. 800GB HD IIRC. Has CD-ROM drive, one USB port, floppy that can be swapped out for CD-ROM.

I used Rufus to create a bootable USB stick with Mint 18.2 XFCE. The HP won't normally allow booting from the USB port, but I used PLoP Boot Manager to get around that (works great, by the way!). Takes FOREVER to boot from the USB 1.1 port, but it worked the first time. Hung up on the login screen -- wanted a login ID and password, but I didn't set one on installation. It was so slow to load that I left the computer for a while, came back to a login screen and no way to get in. So I cut the computer off and started the installation all over again.... and it hung up. Won't boot from the hard drive, won't reinstall. So now I have a dead laptop. Tried a couple times -- won't reinstall.

I'm really thinking that Mint 18 is probably to much for the old laptop. The back story -- I had Mint 9 on it and it was working fie, but I couldn't install any updates. I haven't used it in a couple years, and when I tried to log into my e-mail it had authentication issues. Could get to web sites, just couldn't login to either of my secure mail accounts. So I determined I needed a newer version of Firefox (had 20 on it). Downloaded Firefox 56 and started installation. One of the steps it to remove the old version (downloaded from Mozilla -- couldn't get to repositories). Firefox 56 starts loading, then tells me it won't work on a Pentium III (msg was something like "processor not supported"). So then I was stuck with no browser. Logical thing seemed to be to update the OS... you know how that worked!

So first, is there a site to download a much older version of Mint, and what is the address for the repositories for updates and software installation if I can get an older version? I'm sure I have Mint 9 on a CD somewhere, but moved my office recently and haven't a clue where to find it. Barring that, what do I do with the thing now, Anyone running a newer version of Mint on a PIII???
DTP-PC: Mint 14, Phenom II x4 (3.0GHz), GeForce 9600GT, 8GB
Laptop: Windows 7 Home Premium, Asus K53E w/Intel i5, 240GHz, 4GB

Mute Ant
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Can't install Mint 18 XFCE on older laptop...

Postby Mute Ant » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:06 pm

I think you will be able to run the LMDE MATE version. It rarely needs 512MiB RAM and installs with a 586 kernel, so it will run on almost any PC.

A 800MHz CPU is a bit slow for a full desktop, you might want to install and log in to an openbox session which omits all the graphic prettiness. All the MATE tools are still available, but you have to start them manually when you need them.
Armageddon only happens once, you know. They don’t let you go around again until you get it right.

Aleron Ives
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Aleron Ives » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:33 pm

You can get old versions of Mint from one of the mirrors, e.g. kernel.org:

http://mirrors.kernel.org/linuxmint/stable/

You can get all the way back to Mint 7 from here, but keep in mind that anything below Mint 17 is no longer supported, so you may not be able to find much help with it if it doesn't work right away, and it will be way behind on security updates.

Pierre
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Pierre » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:05 pm

personally - - I'd just have left the LM09 on the machine,
as it was working A.ok, but having said that, I've just upgraded my own LM09 machine to LM18x,
- but, it's hardware is more than adequate for this upgrade.
whereas an 800Mhz PC is most likely too low in hardware spec's.

as a side note: I've left my laptop that is running LM05 alone & won't ever upgrade it . . .
- it works just fine, for what I've using it for & YES - - it does occasionally - go on-line . .

but for your older Laptop - - try anti-X;
http://antix.mepis.org
as it's still designed for those much older PCs.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

farna
Level 3
Level 3

Postby farna » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:02 am

I found my Mint 9 CD... was going through some of my old office stuff where it's packed up and the CD just happened to be in the 2nd box! If I'd been looking for it I'd wouldn't have known where to start....

I think I'm going to just install it, but will take a close look at AntiX (or MX... a derivative of AntiX).

What about security updates and/or software repositories for Mint 9 though? The addresses that load with the system are "not found".

Schultz
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Schultz » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:36 am

farna wrote:
What about security updates and/or software repositories for Mint 9 though? The addresses that load with the system are "not found".

What did you expect from an OS version that has been obsolete for years?
You'd be better going with something current made for old hardware, like the already mentioned AntiX.

lmintnewb2

Postby lmintnewb2 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:43 am

With those specs, wouldn't even bother. Almost certain to run terribly on those specs. IF you ABSOLUTELY want to do it anyway. Then would pre-partition the disk drive with gparted in a live session or whichever and set up a decent sized swap partition on it. Believe the installer will detect and use it for the install process, giving it more available VM = virtual memory aka: swap space to use and could allow it to at least finish installing, maybe.

Again though would expect horrible performance, slow, laggy and jerky operation of Mint-xfce on such hardware. With it constantly hammering the disk at all times and swapping like mad. Definitely lower swappiness and apply some quick common sense tweaks to reduce memory and Cpu overhead. Honestly think save yourself some pain/time and go with a distro more appropriate to your usecase from the beginning instead. Are several threads about this topic already on this forum.

michael louwe
Level 6
Level 6

Postby michael louwe » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:11 am

farna wrote: .

For some guidance about lightweight Linux distros ... https://itsfoss.com/lightweight-linux-beginners/

P S - Most Puppy Linux OS, eg Tahrpup 6.0.5 32bit, are no longer supported. Only 64bit variants of Puppy Linux are supported, eg LxPup = require newer computers. These are Rolling releases, ie not LTS. This is the result of a tiny market share or few users.

MacS65
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MacS65 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:47 pm

Try "nomodeset". It works. Here: look at part "Solving freezes":
https://linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_xfce.php

jglen490
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jglen490 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:43 pm

Until the hardware died, I had an IBM T20 - about the same specs as the OP. I used Vector Light on it and it worked well. It was routinely updated, so no security concerns. I used version 7.0, they are now up to 7.1. It's based on a solid Slackware platform. It's not LM, but it worked well and had Firefox, a light version of Open Office, and most anything else needed for routine uses. It wasn't going to be useful for editing video, but it ran Youtube videos and every web page that I needed to go to. AntX or MX should work alright, too.

Yes, older hardware can still be useful, but not always with our favorite/latest/greatest.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

farna
Level 3
Level 3

Postby farna » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:39 am

Well, I'm not using this laptop any more, plan on donating it to a charity thrift shop, but wanted it to be usable. Been a while since I've "played" with a computer much, have had my system stable for the past 4-5 years! Got it to boot and work fine with Mint 9, but I thin I'll try a lighter, more easily updated distro. Thanks for the tip on AntiX -- from there I found MX which uses an XFCE Desktop. I'm thinking a full desktop would be more useful, but will drop back to AntiX if it proves to be too slow. Since Mint 9 runs reasonably on the hardware MX should be fine and run a bit faster/better. Mint 9 is a bit slow when used to more modern hardware/OS, but not bad for e-mail and general internet surfing -- I'm on the old HP now. I might try to wake up the old IBM Thinkpad (PII, IIRC) I still have with AntiX... not sure it will even work now though!

Thanks for all the help guys, I really didn't expect to get Mint 18 running, knew it was a long shot! Would be nice to know if there is a software repository I could link to and keep Mint 9 on here. Not for OS updates (would be nice, but I know it's out dated) but for Software Manager so some software could be loaded easily. I know larger, newer packages would be too much, but some simpler, light packages, especially simple games, would be nice. Since I'm planning this for some unknown to use, being able to load from Software Manager and/or Package Manager would be nice. Of course using MX should fix that though.

Moem
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Moem » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:04 am

farna wrote:Thanks for the tip on AntiX -- from there I found MX which uses an XFCE Desktop.

MX may very well be a pleasant surprise. Good choice!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Postby xfrank » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:42 pm

+1
for MX Linux 32 bits,. It's very frugal and relatively fast on old hardware.
Linux everywhere. Active Distros in my many computers: LM17.3 (Cinnamon, Xfce); LM18.1 (Cinnamon,Xfce); LMDE 2 (Mate), MXLinux (Xfce), Debian 9 (Xfce).

Return to “Installation & Boot”