Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
acacia_ride
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 18.2 shuts down machine during boot

Postby acacia_ride » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:21 am

Hello, I am attempting to dual boot Windows 7 and Linux Mint 18.2 on an older Toshiba laptop (haven't located the model number yet). Windows 7 installed fine on it's partition, and Mint seemed to install into it's partitions correctly from the usb drive. However, now when I try to start Mint from the grub it fails and shuts down the machine. I have 3 partitions going for Mint, a root partition with 10gb, a swap partition with 8gb, and the home partition with roughly 280gb. I'm extremely new to using linux in general and would appreciate any help or advice that you could lend. Thank you.

catweazel
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Mint 18.2 shuts down machine during boot

Postby catweazel » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:37 am

I recommend that you run memtest as a first step. Machines generally don't shut down like that unless there's something physically wrong with the machine. The fact that Windwoes might run ok is mostly irrelevant as the Linux OS could be hitting memory addresses that Windwoes doesn't.
If your problem is fixed, please mark your thread as [SOLVED] by editing the title of the first message in the thread.

Mute Ant
Level 12
Level 12

Postby Mute Ant » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:55 am

"Machines generally don't shut down like that unless there's something physically wrong with the machine." The proper Linux response to un-recoverable errors is to 'panic' and flash the keyboard lights. Shutdown sounds like something thermal, which is not under software control, or something power-supply, which can indeed be caused a single failed RAM transistor among the millions it has on a chip.
Armageddon only happens once, you know. They don’t let you go around again until you get it right.

acacia_ride
Level 1
Level 1

Postby acacia_ride » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:30 pm

I've tried running a memory test and after 16 passes it has found no errors. Is there anything else I can try?

Return to “Installation & Boot”