Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Glockdoc
Level 3
Level 3

Strange USB Live Issue on new Machine

Post by Glockdoc »

Howdy, My post is actually about 2 separate issues, but they are so closely related I am including them as 1 post rather than clutter the forum.

1) I created a Mint 17.* live USB and have used it for about a year for various applications. I also created a newer version of 17 and it worked fine as well. I purchased a new desktop and used Rufus again to create a live USB for Mint 18.2. Both 18.2 and the later 17.* would not boot up or load on the new computer( which only had free dos for an OS ).

I plugged both into my old computer and both loaded Mint with no problem. Went back to the new computer and no luck. I plugged in the original 17.*, loaded Mint onto the new machine, upgraded to 18.2, used APTIK to move my settings to the new machine, and am good to go. I used Rufus to create all my live USB sticks. I checked the checksums before trying to use them. All 3 work on the old machine, but only 1 works on the new.

Any thoughts?? I am set up on the new machine, but always want to learn.

2) The old machine would no longer load my boot loader or show windows anywhere. I rebooted several times and got what appears to be my 18.2 live usb boot screen. Eventually, I pressed F12 and brought up my boot menu and clicked on my hard drive and wahhhla....my old boot loader showing both OSs. Rebooted and back to the 18.2 loader.

Rebooted again, hit F12, and noticed my list of possible drives to boot from showed my cd, hardrive, card reader, and Linux Mint 18.2 on removable drive H:.

Sounds simple enough except there was no live usb plugged into H:

I plugged 18.2 into H: to see if it booted then removed it and tried it on the new machine again. The only removable usbs are my mouse and keyboard. I verified that is what they are by removing each to be sure.

The old machine was a Mint 17.* upgrade. 18.2 was never installed on that machine from a live usb.

Again, I am all set up and good to go, but if I made a mistake somewhere along the way, I would like to learn from it.

I maybe should have posted this in the newbie section ( so be gentle )but Installation and Boot seemed the best spot.

Thank you in advance for all the great replies. As a newbie I have noticed you guys go a long way to help us new guys and the trolls seem to be somewhere else!

JC
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Stange USB Live Issue on new Machine

Post by michael louwe »

@ Glockdoc, .......

Fyi, certain high-end OEM Win 8.x/10 computers, eg Acer, Asus and HP, have an obstructive or pro-M$ BIOS setting for "select an UEFI file as trusted for executing", .......
https://itsfoss.com/no-bootable-device-found-ubuntu/
viewtopic.php?t=236560
... The above latest(= 2017) OEM laptops may have even removed this BIOS setting(= cannot even boot a Live Linux USB/DVD), but may be restored by a new BIOS firmware update from the OEMs.

Also, from 2012 onward, all new OEM Win 8.x/10 computers use UEFI technology = must use Secure Boot, Fast Boot, 64bit OS, GPT-disks, etc. Previously, they used Legacy BIOS technology = usually MBR or ms-dos-disks, 32bit or 64bit OS, etc. The BIOS settings and OS installation procedures are different.
Glockdoc
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Strange USB Live Issue on new Machine

Post by Glockdoc »

Thanks for the reply Mr. Louwe.

I am pretty sure Rufus sets the live USB up for both BIOS and UEFI boot. I have used the 1st USB on both my old machine and a 2016 laptop that was UEFI.

I live in Thailand and my new machine was only loaded w Free Dos for an OS. The shop was happy to to install windows for $125.....from the hidden partition with windows ready to install( which I did not opt for). LOL

Nice article, I have read several of his for solutions.

JC
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Strange USB Live Issue on new Machine

Post by michael louwe »

Glockdoc wrote: .
AFAIK, the Rufus program can create a Live LM 18.x USB either in Legacy BIOS/MBR-disk mode or in UEFI/GPT-disk mode, separately, ie not both. The LM 18.x ISO file includes both modes. ....... https://www.vanstechelman.eu/content/cr ... -usb-stick
... In comparison, Unetbootin, Universal USB Installer, Win32 Disk Imager, Etcher and LM's USB Image Writer create the Live LM 18.x USB in both modes.

Also, for a modern UEFI computer, the Live LM 18.x USB has to to booted in UEFI/GPT-disk mode through BIOS setup if intend to install it in UEFI mode, ie not in Legacy BIOS mode.
Please provide info on your 2 computers' brand, model and specifications or the Live Linux Terminal output for inxi -Fxz .

Return to “Installation & Boot”