Before you post please read how to get help
HACKNEYL
Level 1
Level 1

Mint Xcfe 18.2 start-up and keyboard issues

Postby HACKNEYL » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi

Kindly requesting some help.

I have an old Lenovo ThinkCentre desktop. Intel Cor-2-Due E8400 3GHz processor. 4GIG RAM. It has a 300Mbps network card for connecting to internet via WiFi. It has two hard drives. I have re-formatted both hard drives. Done a fresh install of Wndows 10 Pro 64bit on one HD and a fresh install of Linux Mint Xcfe 18.2, 64bit on the other HD.

Intended use:
The plan is to use it as a media centre next too the TV to stream films and programs via Kodi and other means.
I will probably also install OpenElect or LibreElect for Kodi as I know this will be even less resource hungry than Windows and Xcfe.
I just wanted the opportunity to have Windows and Linux available if needed and to cover as many bases as possible as I am new to the streaming thing.
I have picked Linux Mint Xcfe as it is apparently one of the lightest on resources in the Mint range

Dual boot via GRUB menu works fine.
Windows runs fine so no issues there.

With Linux Mint Xcfe - 2 issues:
1. Linux mint Xcfe take, according to me, a long time to boot. I have timed it and it takes 1min 15sec before usable. This is much slower than the Cinnamon 17.1 and KDE 17.1 that I had installed in duel boot with Windows Vista on this machine before. I am not really bothered by the time it takes to boot but I always was showing people how fast Linux boot so the time it takes now is noticeably slower and somewhat irritating. Its not a big deal but am I missing something?
2. I can not manage to get the numbers pad to work on the keyboard. I have a Logitec K260 wireless keyboard & mouse combo and also a normal wired/USB keyboard, none of which works. NUM LOCK is on. I have installed "Solaar". I have tried to find the setting where the keyboard controls the mouse but can not see that anywhere. Everything else on the keyboards and the mouse works fine,I have struggled for a week and read a lot on the internet but have not managed to get a solution. PLEASE HELP or should I just install something else like MATE or Cinnamon?

I could also install one of the Mint 17.1 packages which seemed to work well but it seems pointless with only a bit more than a year of support still left.

Thank you

michael louwe
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint Xcfe 18.2 start-up and keyboard issues

Postby michael louwe » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:26 pm

@ HACKNEYL, .......

HACKNEYL wrote: .

1. For a dual-drives configuration with a dual-boot system, I think the 1 min + boot time is quite normal because the computer has to liase with 2 hard-drives instead of one, ie with the MBR Boot Partition on one drive and the Linux / partition on the other drive.(Linux Grub bootloader is installed on the MBR)

2. Try to go to your keyboard preferences > Mouse Keys > DISABLE, ... and the "pointer can still be controlled by using the keypad".

HACKNEYL
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint Xcfe 18.2 start-up and keyboard issues

Postby HACKNEYL » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:38 am

Hi

Thanks for the reply.
Makes sense about the boot time then. It no big deal actually.

Still cant fix the "numbers pad". The options that you gave regarding the mouse keys does not show on my system. So I have no way to change them.

Any other ideas please

Return to “Installation & Boot”