<SOLVED>Boot Mode:BIOS(Secure Boot not supported)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Jeremy Mendes
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED>Boot Mode:BIOS(Secure Boot not supported)

Postby Jeremy Mendes » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:23 am

This info comes from Belarc Advisor Computer Profile app.I have pre-owned HP Pavilion dv6700(2008)currently running Windows 8.1 Pro installed 11/24/2014.Can I assume,from this info,that secure boot is disabled or non existent or should I proceed with multi-step procedure to make sure Secure Boot is disabled.
Last edited by Jeremy Mendes on Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pjotr
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Boot Mode:BIOS(Secure Boot not supported)

Postby Pjotr » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:31 am

Jeremy Mendes wrote:This info comes from Belarc Advisor Computer Profile app.I have pre-owned HP Pavilion dv6700(2008)currently running Windows 8.1 Pro installed 11/24/2014.Can I assume,from this info,that secure boot is disabled or non existent

No.
or should I proceed with multi-step procedure to make sure Secure Boot is disabled.

Yes. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Jeremy Mendes
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Jeremy Mendes » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:45 am

Thank you! :D

michael louwe
Level 6
Level 6

Postby michael louwe » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:52 am

@ Jeremy, .......

Jeremy Mendes wrote:.

Fyi, ...

Secure Boot is part of the modern UEFI technology.

In 2012, M$ "forced" the OEMs to implement UEFI technology in all their new Win 8 computers. Win 8 was released by M$ in 2012. Secure Boot requires an OS/program bootloader to be signed or certified by M$/Verisign before it could be booted and installed, supposedly to prevent rootkit virus/malware infection. So, Canonical Inc's Ubuntu had to pay M$'s Verisign company about US$100 per year to get their Ubuntu bootloader signed/certified, so that Ubuntu could be installed in modern UEFI computers with Secure Boot enabled.
... Initially, Secure Boot could not be disabled. But after much complaint from consumers and businesses, M$ had to relent and allow Secure Boot to be disableable.

In 2015, for the release of Win 10, M$ recommended to the OEMs that it was their choice whether they wanted to make Secure Boot disableable or not. So, an OEM may sell new Win 10 computers with Secure Boot enabled permanently, eg M$ may exert financial pressure on an OEM to do so by threatening to reduce the hefty discounts for OEM Win 10 Volume Licenses. Presently, a transferable Win 10 Pro Retail License costs US$199, while a non-transferable Win 10 Pro OEM License costs about US$50 only(= included in the price of the new OEM Win 10 Pro computer).
... At the moment, most new OEM Win 10 computers' Secure Boot in BIOS setup can still be disabled but a few OEMs have made the procedure difficult or hidden.

UEFI technology also requires TPM1.2 or above, GPT disks, 64bit OS and a fat32 EFI System(= Boot) Partition.

UEFI computers have a BIOS setting to allow booting and installing an OS/bootable-program in Legacy BIOS mode, called CSM(Compatibility Support Module) or just Legacy BIOS. This was mainly to allow the installation of Win Vista and Win 7 on such OEM computers = backwards-compatibility. Luckily, Linux distros could also take advantage of this setting.
... Legacy BIOS mode do not have Secure Boot and usually requires ms-dos disks, 32bit or 64bit OS/programs and a fat16 MBR Boot Partition. ms-dos or MBR disks are limited to 4 primary partitions and 2TB in size.
... All pre-2012 OEM computers use Legacy BIOS technology.

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mr_raider » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:30 pm

Jeremy Mendes wrote:This info comes from Belarc Advisor Computer Profile app.I have pre-owned HP Pavilion dv6700(2008)currently running Windows 8.1 Pro installed 11/24/2014.Can I assume,from this info,that secure boot is disabled or non existent or should I proceed with multi-step procedure to make sure Secure Boot is disabled.

Right click on my computer on your desktop and select the option called manage. Go to disk management and look at your harddrive partitions. Do you have a small partition somewhere near the left of your drive that is fat32?

Jeremy Mendes
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Jeremy Mendes » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:41 pm

Hello! No,I don't see that in partition.Left side says "System Reserved 350 MB NTFS"

Jeremy Mendes
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Jeremy Mendes » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:11 pm

Will this old laptop support any current Linux OS?
Main circuit board:Quanta 30D2 79.29 667mhz
Processor:1.85 gig Intel Core2 Duo T5550
Opiarc BD ROM BC-5500A ATA Device(optical)
FugiTSU MHY2250 BH (Hard Drive 250.06 gig)
Ricoh SD/mmc Disk Device
NVIDIA GeForce 8400M-GS(display adaptor)

michael louwe
Level 6
Level 6

Postby michael louwe » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:40 pm

@ Jeremy, .......

Jeremy Mendes wrote:.

I am running LM 17.3 Cinnamon(EOL in 2019) on a similar specifications HP Compaq desktop with no problem.
... I had problems running the Live LM 18 Cinnamon DVD. Maybe it was because of its newer systemd feature or it did not support very old computers.

For your Nvidia graphics card, you may need to apply the fix at ... https://linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_cinnamon.php

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... amon-first (10 things to do first in LM ...)

Jeremy Mendes
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Jeremy Mendes » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:46 pm

Thanks,everyone,for your replies.Much appreciated.I'm bound and determined to make this happen.The more vidz I watch and the info shared here,I'm confident that it will.

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mr_raider » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:24 pm

Jeremy Mendes wrote:Hello! No,I don't see that in partition.Left side says "System Reserved 350 MB NTFS"

Then it is highly likely windows is installed in LEgacy/BIOS mode, not UEFI. Secure boot is disabled automatically in this mode. If you choose to install Linux Mint, you should install it in legacy mode also.

Jeremy Mendes
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Jeremy Mendes » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:28 am

Success! Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon up and running! I can't believe this 10 year old,bulky,boat anchor of a laptop supports a brand new latest version Linux OS.
HP Pavilion dv6700 Entertainment Notebooks were released with Vista.That was before "Secure Boot" became a thing.That is explained,in detail,within this thread by micheal louwe. To access "Start Up" menu:
-turn computer off/on.
-press F9 while computer starts up
-up/down arrows to light up a selection(choice of three)
-F10 opens up "Set Up"
-right/left arrows will navigate to "System Configuration"
-up/down arrows will navigate to "Boot Options"/"Boot Order"
In "Boot Order" light up "USB Hard Drive"(up/down arrows) then use F5/F6 to move "USB Hard Drive " to top of list.This will allow boot from USB Flash Drive. F10 to save changes.Computer will restart.

Luvin' my Linux OS :lol:

Return to “Installation & Boot”