Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ovisergiu
Level 1
Level 1

(SOLVED) Keep my files and install Mint on an ex-Windows partition

Postby ovisergiu » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:49 pm

I'm sorry, but I do not know what to choose at the Installation type when installing Linux Mint.
On the laptop I have the old Windows 7 (the C partition) and another NTFS partition with all my documents. I wish I can keep my partition with my files and I want to install Mint on the Windows 7 partition. I do not need Windows anymore.
How do I do that? Even though it's plain English at the Installation type step, I do not know what option to choose.
Thank you!
Last edited by ovisergiu on Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JerryF
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Keep my files and intsall Mint on an ex Windows partition

Postby JerryF » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:24 pm

If I were in your place, I would first prepare the partitions with GParted.

Let's take a look at how your disk is currently set up. With your live DVD/USB started, open a Terminal window and post the results of this command:

Code: Select all

lsblk

then copy and paste the result in between Code tags found at the top of area where you post replies.
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.

ovisergiu
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ovisergiu » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:13 pm

Hey, JerryF!
I eventually tried another thing...
I chose ”Something else”, I have deleted the Windows 7 C partition using the ”minus sign” and the other small partition that was afiliated with the C partition.
They both became a ”free space”.
I create a new ext 4 journaling partition, set it to Primary and also I have created a swap partition that has around 6 GB... With these things I started the installation.
Everything went fine... Now my laptop it's much more faster than Windows 7. I am satisfied. :)

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Postby JoeFootball » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:26 pm

ovisergiu wrote:... partition with all my documents. I wish I can keep my partition with my files ...

Before you install, make sure to have off-disk backups of your files, for all the reasons you can't think of. :)

Joe

JerryF
Level 7
Level 7

Postby JerryF » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:02 pm

ovisergiu wrote:...
Everything went fine... Now my laptop it's much more faster than Windows 7. I am satisfied. :)

Good to hear!
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.

Return to “Installation & Boot”