Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
cspctec
Level 1
Level 1

Installation problems with xfce version

Postby cspctec » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:01 am

I am trying to install Linux Mint 18.2 XFCE. I have used unetbootin/universal-usb-installer (tried both of them) to make a bootable USB drive. So, I restart my computer, go into the BIOS and make sure it boots to the USB drive, and then I get the little menu that has 4 different options. I choose the first option to boot Linux Mint. The screen goes black, and the monitor receives no signal. It never boots to the OS, so I can't install it. I have tried the "compatibility mode" option also, and the same thing happens - nothing. I've installed LM many times and never had any problems. Can someone help me?

EDIT: Ok so, after looking at other forums, some people suggested putting "nomodeset" in the boot command while in the grub menu if you have an nvidia card (which I do). I did this and it seemed to help - I got to the Linux Mint logo. However, I then got the error "(initramfs) unable to find a medium containing a live file system". I don't know what else to try to get this to boot.

oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Installation problems with xfce version

Postby oliverjames » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:55 am

cspctec wrote:I am trying to install Linux Mint 18.2 XFCE. I have used unetbootin/universal-usb-installer (tried both of them) to make a bootable USB drive. So, I restart my computer, go into the BIOS and make sure it boots to the USB drive, and then I get the little menu that has 4 different options. I choose the first option to boot Linux Mint. The screen goes black, and the monitor receives no signal. It never boots to the OS, so I can't install it. I have tried the "compatibility mode" option also, and the same thing happens - nothing. I've installed LM many times and never had any problems. Can someone help me?

It may be due to a problem with your USB device. You could try putting a very lightweight OS such as Puppy on it using Unetbootin - http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 28.005.iso That should work on just about any computer and will boot into RAM. Depending upon the result you could try using another USB device or a memory card if your computer supports booting from those.

I assume that it doesn't have an optical reader or you could use that.

How old is your computer? It may be that the CPU will not support version 18.2, Check out PAE.

Moem
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Moem » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:19 am

The specifications of your computer would be mighty helpful here.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

cspctec
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cspctec » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:50 pm

My CPU is pretty old - I built this computer back in late 2011.

Intel Core i7 3930k
GeForce GTX 970
Corsair 240 GB SSD
16 GBs RAM

I'm using a 14 GB flash drive. I haven't had the drive for very long, but it has never given me any trouble.

oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Postby oliverjames » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:06 pm

cspctec wrote:My CPU is pretty old - I built this computer back in late 2011.

Intel Core i7 3930k
GeForce GTX 970
Corsair 240 GB SSD
16 GBs RAM

I'm using a 14 GB flash drive. I haven't had the drive for very long, but it has never given me any trouble.

Was it showing any signs of malfunction prior to your recent decision to run Mint on it?

If you've an optical drive you could load a live CD/DVD and check the RAM. Failing that try my previous suggestion.

HelenLopez
Level 1
Level 1

Postby HelenLopez » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:44 am

Your system is following older version. However it is not a problem. As previously said operating system puppy works on all types of computer and can easily boot into random access memory. As reading the issue the problem is found in pendrive. You can replace a new usb or memory card.

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mr_raider » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:22 am

Are you booting in UEFI mode or legacy/BIOS mode?

If the former, is secureboot disabled?

Did you check the integrity of the downloaded ISO?

michael louwe
Level 6
Level 6

Postby michael louwe » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:42 pm

@ cspctec, .......

cspctec wrote:EDIT: Ok so, after looking at other forums, some people suggested putting "nomodeset" in the boot command while in the grub menu if you have an nvidia card (which I do). I did this and it seemed to help - I got to the Linux Mint logo. However, I then got the error "(initramfs) unable to find a medium containing a live file system". I don't know what else to try to get this to boot.

From this link for the Nvidia fix ... https://linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_xfce.php , ....

Note: If you still cannot boot try one of the following solutions:

1. Try with "nouveau.noaccel=1" instead of "nomodeset".
2. Try with "noapic noacpi nosplash irqpoll" instead of "quiet splash".
3. Use the "Compatibility mode" to boot and install Linux Mint.
4. After the installation, use "Advanced Options" -> "Recovery mode" from the boot menu and choose "resume".

Return to “Installation & Boot”