Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
GameCodingNinja
Level 1
Level 1

Dual boot with Win10, can't create partition

Postby GameCodingNinja » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:44 am

I wanted to be add a partition for /home but during the install, regardless of the order in which I made them, I couldn't make the third partition because it would always mark the remaining disk space as unusable. For example I would first make the swap partition and then the root but couldn't make the /home because the remainder of the disk space would be marked as unusable. I would revert and try a different order; root, /home but couldn't make the swap space.

Is there a bug in the installer? It's a one terabyte drive. I gave up and did the first option of letting the Linux Mint install do all the work which only creates the root and swap partitions.

MintBean
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Duel boot with Win10, can't create partition

Postby MintBean » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:57 am

Using a disc with a master boot record you are limited to a maximum of 4 partitions, unless you use logical volume management (LVM), where you can create a logical volume as one of your partitions and place more partitions inside of that.

michael louwe
Level 6
Level 6

Postby michael louwe » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:00 am

@ GameCodingNinja, .......

GameCodingNinja wrote:.

Legacy BIOS's ms-dos or MBR disks are limited to 4 primary partitions. So, during manual partitioning, assign the home partition as a logical partition and not a primary partition. Please refer to ... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning Tutorial)

GameCodingNinja
Level 1
Level 1

Postby GameCodingNinja » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:10 am

Oh... I thought I had at least 6 available primary partitions. Doh!

Thanks for the help.

Return to “Installation & Boot”