Linux mint Sonya installer 18.2 cinnamon 32-bit crash

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fredand44
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux mint Sonya installer 18.2 cinnamon 32-bit crash

Post by fredand44 »

Hello guys!

Thanks for your replies.
On my machine it returns:
BIOS

-prestonR a couple of questions
1) ideally disconnect all drives do you mean that I should disconnect the actual hard drive?
2) connect the SSD... with something like this I guess:
http://www.storkz.com/anker-aka7620011. ... gJ2CfD_BwE

Best regards
Fredrik
prestonR

Post by prestonR »

Your machine returns 'Bios'? Then it should be possible to install Mint Mate (without any proprietary driver or firmware) to the SSD on 'your machine' and then connect the drive on 'your mum's' machine, boot and finalise the setup by installing the proprietary drivers that are recommended for 'your mums' hardware.
should I disconnect the actual hard drive?
On your machine, yes, so that there's no chance we mess with your good machine's drive. (or is 'your own machine' a laptop? If so, is there easy access to the drive?) Understand that removing any other drive is not strictly necessary but it will prevent you from accidentally installing on the wrong drive.

Connect the SSD either internally or via an external usb drive bay or an adapter like the one in your link. If you have a USB powered external drive (the small ones) see if you can open it and temporarily swap the drive with the SSD. Inside they use all the same connector. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-3-0-Har ... 0708418886
fredand44
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fredand44 »

Hello guys!

Victory, I can hardly believe it my self!

First thanks for all help an patience from you guys.

I tried to disassemble the machine, and when I put it together again I tried to just use one of my two RAM memories of 1 GB.
First one, same error, second one it worked.

So the conclusion seems to be that there was a faulty RAM memory.
So now my mum runs the computer with Xfce 17.2 and she is very happy!

Again thanks for all help guys!
Best regards
Fredrik (Sweden)

Return to “Installation & Boot”