Firmware Error

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shdawson
Level 1
Level 1

Firmware Error

Post by shdawson »

Hi,

I have enjoyed using LM since v12 upgrading over the years, I am on LM 18.2-32bit on my old laptop. I am now installing LM 18.2-64bit on my new Lenovo IdeaPad. I confirmed the ISO by way of verify.php instructions on LM Download. Getting Firmware Error messages when running Live-USB installer.

The error messages occur pretty fast, so I cannot read them. I have tired to test media, locks up on checking an MOD file in /boot/grub/x86_64-efi.

I have tired with 2 different USB stick drives. I get the 2nd USB stick drive locking up on a different MOD file, but within /boot/grub/x86_64-efi. Cannot get into Desktop to install LM. I am wondering if the EFI firmware load is failing, or if I have 2 bad USB stick drives.

How should I proceed with diagnosis, please?

Thanks,
-SHD
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
prestonR

Re: Firmware Error

Post by prestonR »

What IdeaPad is that? Some have a 32-bit efi and need special setup or they'll only allow 32-bit OSs. First of all I'd check if there is a bios update available for your model. If there is, check the changelog to find out which issues are being addressed, then decide if the upgrade should be done.
shdawson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shdawson »

Thanks, I appreciate your assistance.

The model is:
https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/i ... 80XS0095US

The installed firmware:
https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mo ... cn19ww.txt

The support listing:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/prod ... h=PF0ZM0HN

Since the Idea Pad has Windows 10, I have to believe the installed firmware is 64-bit. What is the special setup you identify?
prestonR

Post by prestonR »

Can you check in your Bios if there is a setting 'SATA/drive mode''? Try to change that from RAID to AHCI. If you can change that, your Windows will not boot (it probably will in 'safe mode') but you should be able to install and run Mint. There might be an issue with touchpad and/or wifi but that's fixable, just come back here.

In order to boot Win again you have to enter bios and reset the 'SATA/drive mode' back to 'Raid' and vice-versa. Not nice but no real hassle either.

Should you not be able to change to 'AHCI' you need to update your bios; as long as it's set to 'Raid' you won't be able to install linux.
shdawson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shdawson »

Thanks.

The setting in question, SATA Controller Mode, has been set to AHCI. There is no option for RAID, only compatible. Compatible says it works with an IDE drive. I took a shot and changed it to compatible. I am not able to boot into Windows.

So, tried the LM installer USB stick. I checked the media. I am now able to get all of the way through the media check without things hanging. So, your firmware edit proves I do not have the correct firmware settings.

The media check found 2 file problems, but did not share the names of those files. I am unable to get through loading the installer. It hangs, but no errors shy of something about firmware error AMD not in some table prior to the LM logo showing up. The message is much shorter than the error message before, but it flashes so fast I cannot read the message.

I then edited UEFI to disable AMD Platform Security Processor. I saved the changed and pressed on. I am then presented with the message "preparing automatic repair" and offered the opportunity to log into Windows. More evidence the firmware settings are amiss.

I log in message "Diagnosing your PC" is presented. Not able to finished starting windows, message "Inaccessible boot device" and asked to restart PC. I am unsure if the error is from changing SATA Controller Mode or disabling AMD Platform Security Processor. I can find out this answer, if necessary, but I am going with your statement Windows will not boot unless in AHCI mode.

So, powered off and went into LM via USB stick drive, again. The install still hangs, cannot get to desktop to finish installation.

What do you think needs to change? Are the 2 files found to have errors in the Check Media the cause for concern? My thinking is going to compatible from AHCI in SATA Controller Mode has enabled the Check Media to complete. I am not getting error message except for the quick message of firmware error AMD not in some table. There is no difference with LM installer with AMD Platform Security Processor disabled. It hangs at the same point when it is enabled.

Is it assured this AMD processor can accept Linux Mint?
shdawson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shdawson »

I spent time looking into firmware settings. I decided to reset all firmware settings to default. I then implemented the following changes:

-Disabled Secure Boot
-Disabled Fast Boot
-Disabled OS Optimized Defaults
-SATA Controller Mode to Compatible

I see the quick message Firmware error after entering the first menu installation option. I see the LM installer logo, with the white dots going to green. Things still hang after about 10 seconds on the LM installer.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

Well those settings worked for MY ideapad. 110.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ shdawson, .......
shdawson wrote:.
Try resetting BIOS setup to default settings, boot Win 10 and update the BIOS firmware through Lenovo's website. Likely, an updated BIOS firmware will allow the booting of a Live Linux USB/DVD.

Seems, M$ may have successfully pressured some OEMs to make it difficult to boot Linux in their new Win 10 computers.
prestonR

Post by prestonR »

I'm running out of ideas here but those are the things I'd try:

- Double check your downloaded iso files hashes with the sha256sum command, it is worrying that there are errors when you check your media, there should be none.
- Like michael louwe said, update your bios, according to the lenovo support thread below they have reacted to the large numbers of unhappy customers and released an updated bios that partially fixes the issue (you still have to change that SATA mode every time you change the OS)
- join the lenovo support site and let them know; you are not alone, only if complaints reach a critical mass they'll be pressured to move: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_ ... 950/page/1
shdawson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shdawson »

Thanks.

I am running the latest BIOS firmware version.

How does one service the EFI partition? I am wondering if it has been touched by the Linux Mint installer and something went sideways.
shdawson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shdawson »

Tried an ISO from a different mirror. Sure enough, right into the LM Installer desktop.

However, no wi-fi or touchpad working as you said earlier. Also, no keyboard working. How does one get these working?
prestonR

Post by prestonR »

Heyho, now we're moving! Always verify your downloaded iso files!

Ok, no keyboard is bad. Can you borrow a USB one or can you go >>Menu>>Control Panel>>Accessibility and enable virtual keyboard?

Can you, for the time being, connect a lan cable? If so:
- do all available updates
- go to Driver Manager and install recommended Drivers
- update your kernel to the latest 4.10 or 4.13 (don't delete your existing kernel, keep as fallback)

and report back any remaining issues or changes.
shdawson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shdawson »

SHORT UPDATE
Hours of work proves the LM 18.2 installer does not work with this model. LM 18.1 installer does work. I will finish the installation tomorrow and post final outcome.

This matter needs to be reported to LM folks. What is the process to submit installation problems for resolution, please?
shdawson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shdawson »

Return to “Installation & Boot”