Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
anarchosaxophonist
Level 1
Level 1

Sonya Cinnamon install freeze at GRUB install to /dev/sda

Postby anarchosaxophonist » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:00 am

I am trying to install Linux Mint Sonya Cinnamon on a home built midi tower PC. I have replaced the motherboard. The new motherboard is an asrock 970 pro3 r2. The install functions fine up to the GRUB install, where it complains:
Executing 'grub-install /dev/sda' failed.

This is a fatal error.

Sorry, an error occurred and it was not possible to install the bootloader at the specified location.

Choose a different device to install the bootloader on:

Menu

Continue without a bootloader.

Cancel the installation.

No action follows selecting an alternative option and I am eventually forced to shutdown the system from the menu, to exit.

My PC has four hard disks in the bays and all are empty (formatted NTFS) except one, with Win 7 installed on it. Interestingly I do not experience this error when trying to install an alternative distro (Bunsen Labs), however I then run into problems with support for my graphics card, which is another story. I would prefer to install Linux Mint - any solutions out there?
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx

prestonR
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Sonya Cinnamon install freeze at GRUB install to /dev/sda

Postby prestonR » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:17 am

Your mobo has a Uefi bios, that means that, ideally, your grub bootloader should be installed to the existing efi boot partition, even if that is on your Win7 drive. Run Gparted from your LiveUSB and find out the exact name and location of your efi partition, then give that as your target for the grub install.

michael louwe
Level 6
Level 6

Postby michael louwe » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:26 am

@ anarchosaxophonist, .......

anarchosaxophonist wrote:.

Are you trying to install LM alongside Win 7 on the same hard-disk or install LM alongside Win 7 on another disk, or trying to install LM separately on its own hard-disk together with its own EFI Boot Partition.?

anarchosaxophonist
Level 1
Level 1

Postby anarchosaxophonist » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:29 am

Secure boot is disabled in the BIOS and nothing has ever been installed using UEFI on these hard disks. My current Win 7 is also installed in legacy mode, on a separate HD.

michael louwe
Level 6
Level 6

Postby michael louwe » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:48 am

@ anarchosaxophonist, .......

anarchosaxophonist wrote:My current Win 7 is also installed in legacy mode, on a separate HD..

Ensure that the BIOS setting for CSM or Legacy BIOS is enabled and Fast Boot is disabled.

Assuming that you intend to install LM alongside Win 7 in Lagacy BIOS mode on a separate or different hard-disk, ...
during the install of LM, the manual "Something else" method has to be used, and you can either select the Win 7 hard-disk or the LM hard-disk as the "Device for boot loader installation". The former will present you with a Linux Grub menu during startup to boot into LM or Win 7(= slow boot time of about 1 minute), while the latter will require you to go into BIOS setup's Boot menu during startup to boot into LM or Win 7. The latter option is recommended because Windows Update will often bork the Linux Grub bootloader that has been installed on the MBR partition of the Win 7 hard-disk.
P S - To check which is which hard-disk, from the Live LM session, go to >Accessories >Disk >Drive, ie which disk is /sda, /sdb, /sdc ...

prestonR
Level 5
Level 5

Postby prestonR » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:23 am

My current Win 7 is also installed in legacy mode

If you're sure about this (there should be no 'efi' partition on your Win drive) then check if there is a small boot partition on your linux drive.

I had this issue before, I believe (but it could be the other way around :D ) it happens when a legacy install to a drive with gpt partition table doesn't find a separate boot partition for grub. If the target drive has a mbr partition table this does not happen and grub simply goes to /dev/sdX and installs in the empty space before the first partition.

To create the needed /boot partition manually see half-way down the page: http://linuxbsdos.com/wp-content/upload ... untu-4.png
For the boot partition, much like the ESP partition, a disk space of about 250 MB is enough. From Mount point, select /boot. OK.

After that's done point the grub install to that boot partition, eg /dev/sdX1

michael louwe
Level 6
Level 6

Postby michael louwe » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:09 am

To add to what preston has said,

Legacy BIOS mode = usually use ms-dos/MBR disks(limited to 4 primary partitions and 2TB in size) and 32bit or 64bit bootable software;

UEFI mode = usually use GPT disks, 64bit bootable software, requires an EFI System Partition(or EFI Boot Partition) and has Secure Boot and Fast Boot.

To convert and format a disk from GPT to ms-dos/MBR mode, launch GParted from the Live LM session, go to >disk dropdown list(eg >/sdb) >Create New Partition Table >ms-dos >Apply.
Last edited by michael louwe on Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Postby austin.texas » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:42 am

Please boot your live Mint. Open a terminal, and post the result of the command

Code: Select all

sudo parted --list
- so that we can see what you have.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2017

anarchosaxophonist
Level 1
Level 1

Postby anarchosaxophonist » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:07 pm

OK, so here is the latest. I finally managed to get LM Sonya Cinnamon installed by installing to /dev/sda as referenced in the disk management section (do something else) of the installation process. I emphasize this because GParted (menu item) displayed the HD order completely differently and also kicked up the error:
The driver descriptor says the physical block size is 2048 bytes, but Linux says it is 512 bytes.

I personally believe that all of my problems including the anomalies above have something to do with my newly installed motherboard. BunsenLabs will also install to the same /dev/sda without the refusal to boot into the system for the first time vis a vis nouveau which appeared to crash, when installed to another drive.

The important thing being that I have a fully working Linux Mint in the correct format, so I am a happy camper ;)

Return to “Installation & Boot”