how install on separate SSD disk

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
liberace
Level 2
Level 2

how install on separate SSD disk

Post by liberace »

Hi, I would like to install Linux mint xfce on a separate SSD disk.

I have a laptop with working Linux mint 17 xfce and also a install USB.

How to do this without risks for the installed Linux on my laptop?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: how install on separate SSD disk

Post by michael louwe »

@ liberace, .......
liberace wrote:.
How are you connecting the SSD to your laptop.?
Put the SSD inside the DVD-drive bay and use a connector-adapter.?
Put the SSD inside an external USB hard-drive enclosure/casing.?
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Safest is to disconnect any other drive from the machine. It's the only way where you know nothing can go wrong for them.

If you must keep them attached, I advise to install the bootloader manually, because the installer (ubiquity) has the unfortunate tendency to put the bootloader on the first drive it finds, even if you tell it to install to another drive, and that drive is usually the internal drive.
Use ubiquity -b from a terminal to launch an install without bootloader.
But frankly, safest is to disconnect all other drives.
liberace
Level 2
Level 2

Post by liberace »

I use a SSD inside an external USB hard-drive enclosure/casing. Disconnecting the hard drive from my laptop is not easy and not what i want.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ liberace, .......
liberace wrote:I use a SSD inside an external USB hard-drive enclosure/casing. Disconnecting the hard drive from my laptop is not easy and not what i want.
For Legacy BIOS mode, the steps are ...

1. Run the Live LM USB-stick or DVD,
2. Plug in the external USB SSD drive,
3. Click "Install LM" on the desktop screen,
4. Follow the Installer Wizard prompts, eg click "Yes" to unmount the external SSD, Internet connected, install third-party software, etc, and must choose the manual "Something else" method,
5. Follow this tutorial to partition the external SSD-drive(= usually, it's /sdb) ... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 , and ensure that the internal hard-drive(= usually, it's /sda) is not touched/clicked.
6. Ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the external SSD(or /sdb).
7. After installation has completed, click "Continue to try LM"(not Restart), then click Shutdown,
8. Remove the Live LM USB/DVD,
9. Startup the computer and go into BIOS setup's Boot menu by pressing one of the F-keys. Change it to make the external SSD as the 1st boot device(eg USB HDD). Save changes and exit BIOS setup. You will then be presented with a Grub menu to boot either from the external SSD by default(= LM) or from the internal hard-drive(= other OS).

Please Google Search for 'how to install ubuntu on an external hard drive" for extra info.
liberace
Level 2
Level 2

Post by liberace »

Thanks for the advices.

I have still one question. If i use the LM 18.3 installer to partition the SSD disk i come to a screen where its said that my SCI4(0,0,0) (sdc) will be changed.
Thats ok but i get confused about this:
The following partitions are going to be formatted:
partition #5 of SCI1 (0,0,0) (sda) as swap
partition #5 of SCI4 (0,0,0) (sdc) as swap

Why should the swap partition of sda {my normal laptop drive) be formatted. I hesitate to go on as i dont know the effect.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ liberace, .......
liberace wrote:...
That's odd. Did you use the manual "Something else" install method.? If, yes, try to redo the install of LM on the external USB SSD, without touching the internal hard-drive during manual partitioning.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

That's a bug/feature of the installer indeed, see eg this thread : viewtopic.php?f=46&t=259932
This is rather unfortunate as it changes the UUID of the partition, so you then have to correct the fstab of the system(s) that use it. (and possibly also the kernels options resume=.. if you use it to hibernate).
A workaround is to not define any swap in the installer, and then create it after install and add to fstab. In this case you could also just point the fstab to use the already existing swap (unless you plan to be booted on one system while hibernating the other, which is weird)

Return to “Installation & Boot”