Installing from own hard disk

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eruiz00

Installing from own hard disk

Post by eruiz00 »

Hi!

Sorry for my english, i will try to explain the better i can :(

One year ago, i could install linux mint from my laptop hard disk on these hard disk.

Its a Asus laptop from 2016 (i7-5500, nvidia 920m, etc.) with EFI and secure boot disabled. It has windows 10.

What i did was to make a primary fat32 partition with about 5 gigabytes size. I did copy all mint ISO files into that partition. What i had was like this:

A efi partition (Sda1)
A windows partition (Sda2)
A windows reserved partition (Sda3)
A data private partition (Sda4)
The 5gb partition (Sda5) with mint iso files
Free space to make the partitions (future ext4 partition and a swap partition)

Then i rebooted, selected mint boot, and installed linux mint without trouble.

But now (last months) i have tryed to install mint with the same scheme. I couldn't.

The installer refuse to analyze disk as it seems it cannot touch the disk where the mint files are.

Some insight?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lostfarmer

Re: Installing from own hard disk

Post by lostfarmer »

If the hdd is mounted it will not make any partition changes. It should permit installing on a current partition , but have not verified. You can add ( in boot menu) at the end of the linux *** line ( toram ) . note remove the ( ). That should permit you to unmount all partitions (after boot)on the booted hdd and then make partition changes. (also have not tried with Mint)

Return to “Installation & Boot”