USB key not found

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Loceka

USB key not found

Post by Loceka »

Hello,

I want to install Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon.
I downloaded the iso from the official web site ( https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=237 ) and created a bootable USB key using dd :

Code: Select all

$ wipefs --all /dev/sdx
$ dd bs=4M if=/path/to/archlinux.iso of=/dev/sdx status=progress && sync
I rebooted my computer and the USB key was not recognized as a bootable device by the BIOS (the "legacy BIOS" (CSM) option was enabled).
I then switched to UEFI boot and there the USB key was recognized (as a CD/DVD, because of dd creating an iso9660 image) and bootable.

Thing is I have to install it alongside with Windows 7 which is installed in legacy mode.
The stranger thing is that I tried installing Linux Mint 18.1 on the same PC (a few months ago) and it could be booted from both modes (legacy BIOS and UEFI).

Any idea of what's going wrong with that install ?
Any idea how to get it working ?

Thanks,
Loceka
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
prestonR

Re: USB key not found

Post by prestonR »

Maybe it's the dd way you used? 'path/to/archlinux.iso' might just be a copy/paste mistake but I'd boot your mint USB and use its ImageWriter program to prepare another USB and then use this.

Also, in cases like this, make sure you check the hashes of the iso you downloaded, could be a corrupt download.
Last edited by prestonR on Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: USB key not found

Post by Spearmint2 »

You can use Universal USB Installer from pendrivelinux.com in windows if you find that easier.

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal ... -as-1-2-3/
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Installation & Boot”