change picture in user applet (cinnamon)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sylviette

change picture in user applet (cinnamon)

Post by sylviette »

Hello all,

I'm writing in here because I'm referring to Mint Live customization, but maybe it's place will be in "Desktop"? In this case, sorry for having published my question in the wrong place.

As the subject says, I'm looking for a way to insert a different picture in user applet, the one that's on the immediate left of user full name in bottom panel, on the right, not user picture appearing on lightdm at login time (that one is easy, simply rename user's picture (png) as .face in /home/user).
Once I've done this simply by adding a 48x48 png in /usr/share/pixmaps and renaming it as nobody.png but now it's impossible and, afaik in Sonya and in Sylvia, nobody.png doesn't exist anymore in /usr/share/pixmaps.

So ... does anybody know how to change user applet picture?

Thanks and greetings to everyone,

Silvia
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
minitux

Re: change picture in user applet (cinnamon)

Post by minitux »

I replaced it with this
https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/175

otherwise see in
/usr/share/cinnamon/applets

if you can change the icon image in the applet directory You Can try to make it as root, I can not verify nothing because I'm writing from smartphones
sylviette

Post by sylviette »

minitux wrote: otherwise see in
/usr/share/cinnamon/applets
if you can change the icon image in the applet directory You Can try to make it as root, I can not verify nothing because I'm writing from smartphones
Thanks for the advice, Minitux.

I've taken a look in /usr/share/cinnamon/applets and found out user applet: is user@cinnamon.org, but what I've realized is that simply it seems to be impossible changing user applet icon ... because I've right now realized (I have realized it after having carefully "vi-ed" every single file in /usr/share/cinnamon/applets/user@cinnamon.org) that what I wanted to change it wasn't user picture in user applet (that's easy, as I said in my 1st post) bur applet itself icon ... and that, I fear it's impossible.

Thanks anyway and "arrivederci", as Alitalia says to its passengers! ;-)

Silvia
minitux

Post by minitux »

I do not know, I changed the icon (icon.png) to the user applet folder, but it changes only in applet management and does not change in the panel

sylviette

Post by sylviette »

minitux wrote:I do not know, I changed the icon (icon.png) to the user applet folder, but it changes only in applet management and does not change in the panel

that's what i was saying ... no way to change icon, at least for me

Best,

Sil

Return to “Installation & Boot”