[GRUB] - Unable to enter decryption password after installing Nvidia propriety drivers

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Swatto

[GRUB] - Unable to enter decryption password after installing Nvidia propriety drivers

Post by Swatto »

Good Morning All,

I have recently taken the plunge and switched solely to Linux Mint after falling in love with it on my laptop.

I installed some propriety Nvidia drivers for my GTX 1080 from the PPA but upon booting my machine to grub I get a very low resolution mint logo asking for me to enter my decryption password but my keyboard does not work.

I can get around this by holding shift on boot and entering my password in text boot mode but ideally I would like the nice logo with a suitable resolution.

Currently I have modified grub to use text mode only (which displays in a very low resolution also).

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mattyboy

Re: [GRUB] - Unable to enter decryption password after installing Nvidia propriety drivers

Post by Mattyboy »

This is a known problem, you can boot your machine and enter your password if you boot from Grub advanced but this is a long and tedious boot process.

Its been talked about before. Either, remove the Nvidia drivers if you need full disk encryption. Or just encrypt your home folder ( there's no problem with the boot process and Nividia drivers if you don't encrypt root ).

A better way of protecting your data would be to use either veracrypt, less risk of failure and loosing data or, more risky, creating an encrypted data partition.
Swatto

Re: [GRUB] - Unable to enter decryption password after installing Nvidia propriety drivers

Post by Swatto »

Mattyboy wrote:This is a known problem, you can boot your machine and enter your password if you boot from Grub advanced but this is a long and tedious boot process.

Its been talked about before. Either, remove the Nvidia drivers if you need full disk encryption. Or just encrypt your home folder ( there's no problem with the boot process and Nividia drivers if you don't encrypt root ).

A better way of protecting your data would be to use either veracrypt, less risk of failure and loosing data or, more risky, creating an encrypted data partition.
Thanks very much Mattyboy - I may just stick to using the text-boot mode and seeing if I can increase resolution using the grub configuration file to 1024x768 or something.

Return to “Installation & Boot”