update new install using /var/cache/apt/archives from another machine

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

update new install using /var/cache/apt/archives from another machine

Post by sadhu »

I have just installed another LM18.2-64 xfce on a different machine, but I didn't do the first update on this new machine. I'm on a metered connection and don't want to pay for the bandwidth.

Is it possible to somehow make the update locally from the command line, but get the missing files from a copy of the existing /var/cache/apt/archives I have already installed? I'm thinking of copying the whole .../archives directory to a USB drive, then making the update from there.

I know such a thing is possible for installed software, 'cause I've done in the past (but I forget exactly how). But I don't know how to do it for the software update.

If this works, then I'm also going to install LM18.2-64 Cinn the same way: Install on the new machine using a boot thumb drive, then update from a copy of /var/cache/apt/archives (of the cinnamon installation).

Thanks
-Sadhu
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LM 21.2-64 Cinn 5.8.4

Return to “Installation & Boot”