Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
LnX
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Suspension doesn't work, but hibernation does

Postby LnX » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:15 am

When I suspend my Lenovo ThinkPad E540, it flashes the lock screen and then enters suspension. The LED indicator starts "breathing", as it should, and the LEDs for muted speaker and muted mic are still lit. The issue is that I can't wake it up from this state. No mouse or keyboard action wakes the computer. Not even the power button. Only a hard reset by holding the power button will let me back into the computer. I have checked my BIOS and there is no setting for choosing suspension mode (S0-S7). I have the latest drivers for my graphics and what not, and have installed all updates in the update center of my Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon.

Hibernation however works as expected, except for some kinks, like that the grub menu gets entered when booting from hibernation and the splash screen is somewhat slow to appear. Almost all threads about the issue that I have found is regarding both suspend and hibernate not working. I don't why that is, because to me they don't seem all that related practically. But any who, I have not found anything about suspension not working, while hibernation does work.

So what can I do to get suspension to work? Or more specifically, waking from suspension to work, since it seems to enter suspension as it should? Read somewhere that the 4.13 kernel would be better? On 4.10 right now.

Any help is appreciated!
Last edited by LnX on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

prestonR
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Suspension doesn't work, but hibernation does

Postby prestonR » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:38 am

This is a bug in your Lenovo Bios. The quick work-around, that may not be acceptable to you, is to disable 'USB 3.0' in your Bios. For a proper fix check the changelog of available Bios updates to see if the resume issue is addressed and upgrade if that is the case.

Spearmint2
Level 14
Level 14

Postby Spearmint2 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:13 am

How much RAM do you have and what is your swap size?

These will tell you.

Code: Select all

inxi
swapon -s
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

LnX
Level 1
Level 1

Postby LnX » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:35 am

Spearmint2 wrote:How much RAM do you have and what is your swap size?

These will tell you.

Code: Select all

inxi
swapon -s

8GB RAM, 16GB swap on separate small ssd.

LnX
Level 1
Level 1

Postby LnX » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:35 am

prestonR wrote:This is a bug in your Lenovo Bios. The quick work-around, that may not be acceptable to you, is to disable 'USB 3.0' in your Bios. For a proper fix check the changelog of available Bios updates to see if the resume issue is addressed and upgrade if that is the case.

Ah, I'll look into it. Thanks!

LnX
Level 1
Level 1

Postby LnX » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:38 am

prestonR wrote:This is a bug in your Lenovo Bios. The quick work-around, that may not be acceptable to you, is to disable 'USB 3.0' in your Bios. For a proper fix check the changelog of available Bios updates to see if the resume issue is addressed and upgrade if that is the case.

Thank you very much! I have flashed my BIOS and now suspend works properly.
For anyone else having this issue on a Lenovo laptop, here is the BIOS update: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/se/sv/prod ... s/ds037208
####!!!!!!!!!! Check that your model is in the supported list, if not you need a different update. !!!!!!!!!####

Here are instruction on how to do it, if you like me don't know how to make a bootablr usb in linux: https://workaround.org/article/updating ... ash-stick/

Thanks again!

Return to “Installation & Boot”