Installed Mate can I install Cinnamon desktop

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

Installed Mate can I install Cinnamon desktop

Post by urdrwho »

One of the things sitting around that I'll sometimes play with is a HP ZV 5000 with 2 gig ram.

For years it had been running Kubuntu 14.04 KDE and years ago I had all the Nvidia kinks worked out. It was a ram hog and I got tired of hearing the fans whirring. I have Cinnamon installed on another old toy, an Aspire 3680. Cinnamon looks and runs fine on it so I thought lets put it on the HP.

Well Nvidia wasn't playing well and even after installing the 304 Nvidia driver I just couldn't get it to work well.

So I dig out my Mate 17 and run the live CD. What? The CD booted without adding nomodetest and it booted using the CD driver. I did't take a long test drive and chose install. It installed fine but in the end, due to font issues, I had to install Nvidia drivers.

I am not as happy with the look of the Mate GUI as I am with the Cinnamon GUI. Can I install the Cinnamon desktop and have the same GUI experience as I do with the Cinnamon Rosa that is on the Aspire?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Installed Mate can I install Cinnamon desktop

Post by JerryF »

I would try burning a 17.x Cinnamon disc/USB drive and trying it out. With 2GB RAM, it may run ok.
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Installed Mate can I install Cinnamon desktop

Post by urdrwho »

Tried the live disc. It booted to the log in screen, wait for log in, hear music and then a black screen.
Tired another boot with live CD and tried a few different lines to start up
1. Tried nomodetest
then
2. Tried nomodetest xforcevesa

Same thing - log on screen, wait for log in, hear music and then blank screen

The computer in the kitchen is an old box with Nvidia 304 driver installed and it works fine with Nivida drivers installed. It is a 32 bit computer. Maybe the HP is older or because it is an HP but it clearly doesn't like Nvidia.

The KDE was installed years ago, I remember having Nvidia issues at first but once I got it worked outworked fine. I compared my current grub to the grub that was part of my old Kubuntu KDE, they were the same.

When Cinnamon is installed it will start in fall back mode and the desktop is really useless in that mode.

I just kind of like getting things working the way I want them and it seems I always come up with a project. ;)
JerryF wrote:I would try burning a 17.x Cinnamon disc/USB drive and trying it out. With 2GB RAM, it may run ok.

Return to “Installation & Boot”