Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
eastrader
Level 1
Level 1

Restore Ubuntu /home into new Linux Mint help

Postby eastrader » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:42 pm

I have several pc's I am moving from Windos to Linux. I tried both Mint and Ubuntu for several months and decided on Mint. Before I installed on the Ubuntu pc, I did a back up on an external drive as per reading post on the forum. However now that I have wiped and installed Mint on the pc, "Backups" on Mint never see the files on the ext drive. Googling around I found one that said to try install Ubuntu Archive, and did. only that just unpacks the files into yet another format :roll: , again Mint does not see.. :oops:
Has anyone done this successfully? I would hate to lose work I had under Ubuntu. Thanks
Last edited by karlchen on Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title: corrected the base foldername to be /home (note the foreward slash), backslash is downright wrong on Linux.
Always learning.

Spearmint2
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Restore Ubuntu /home into new Linux Mint help

Postby Spearmint2 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:48 pm

Can you use the file manager and see the files?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Postby WharfRat » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:55 pm

eastrader,

I'm not sure I can be of much help with this as I don't use any archiving backup utilities, but what you might want to try is archivemount.

It's supposed to support a number of popular archive formats and mounts the archive to a mount point for access to the content.

Good luck :wink:
Image ImageImage

mrmajik45
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mrmajik45 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:08 pm

If you have a Gparted Backup: Boot off a live disc. Plugin the backup drive and open gparted and click on your drives home Partition and click restore then select the backup and wait for it to restore then reboot and sorry if this breaks your partition.
The linux coder.

Flemur
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Flemur » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:13 am

mrmajik45 wrote:If you have a Gparted Backup: Boot off a live disc. Plugin the backup drive and open gparted and click on your drives home Partition and click restore then select the backup and wait for it to restore then reboot and sorry if this breaks your partition.

That's terrible advice.
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less
Mint 18.2 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Flemur
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Flemur » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:19 am

eastrader wrote:I have several pc's I am moving from Windos to Linux. I tried both Mint and Ubuntu for several months and decided on Mint. Before I installed on the Ubuntu pc, I did a back up on an external drive as per reading post on the forum. However now that I have wiped and installed Mint on the pc, "Backups" on Mint never see the files on the ext drive. Googling around I found one that said to try install Ubuntu Archive, and did. only that just unpacks the files into yet another format :roll: , again Mint does not see.. :oops:

See if I have this straight:
- you had ubuntu installed, created some files w/ubuntu and backed up those files to an external drive.
- then you wiped ubuntu and installed mint.
- you want to get the files from backup -> mint.

Q1: what kind of files are in the backup? System settings (login info)? Or regular data (mp3, movies)?
You probably DON'T want to recover system settings en-masse from a different - tho similar - OS.

Q2: what software - ubuntu, I suppose - did you use to back up the files?

Has anyone done this successfully? I would hate to lose work I had under Ubuntu. Thanks

Things are a lot simpler if you backup by copying files (regular copy, or "rsync") rather than using some package that puts the backup in some weird file.

"Backups" on Mint never see the files on the ext drive.

How about posting an "ls -l" on those backup files?

mrmajik45
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mrmajik45 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:55 pm

Flemur wrote:
mrmajik45 wrote:If you have a Gparted Backup: Boot off a live disc. Plugin the backup drive and open gparted and click on your drives home Partition and click restore then select the backup and wait for it to restore then reboot and sorry if this breaks your partition.

That's terrible advice.

What you got against my advice? :?:
The linux coder.

Flemur
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Flemur » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:29 pm

mrmajik45 wrote:
Flemur wrote:

That's terrible advice.

What you got against my advice? :?:

You don't know that he backed up an entire partition, or that /home is a partition - if I followed your instructions it would wipe the "/" partition (home is a directory) and replace it with two different OS's and music and movies because my backups are just copies of files in directories, and two backed up OS's and data are all on the same backup partition.

mrmajik45
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mrmajik45 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:48 pm

Touche buddy I thought home was a separate partition. Well it is on ubuntu.
The linux coder.

Return to “Installation & Boot”