Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
0ddity
Level 3
Level 3

Can't boot Windows without the install USB plugged in

Post by 0ddity »

I have had Linux Mint 17.3 installed for a few years, with Windows 10 installed on a second HDD. Recently, I wanted to do a clean install of the latest version of Mint and Windows 10, so I ran the Windows 10 setup from a Live USB and formatted all partitions that were previously Mint, and installed Windows there. So now I have 2 Windows installs on 2 seperate HDD's. But when I boot, I get a Grub Rescue command line, instead of Windows booting, unless the Live USB is plugged in. I don't boot from the USB, but if its plugged in, Windows boots and asks which version I want to boot, and then it boots fine. I tried repairing the MBR from the Live USB using the command line, as shown in this tutorial: https://pureinfotech.com/repair-master- ... indows-10/ as well as using the fix boot tool in the Live USB. Neither works. How do I get rid of Grub and let Windows boot without the install USB inserted?

wizzybang
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't boot Windows without the install USB plugged in

Post by wizzybang »

Have you tried using a tool called called EasyBCD. Free for personal use. When I've had issues with dual booting in past and had issues with windows firing up this has saved me. Boot into windows and try it from there.

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Also read the guide you have tried, when in CMD launched as admin, did you try these 3 commands in this order:

bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot
Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm.....

0ddity
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 0ddity »

I've tried a couple software solutions, partition managers that have a repair MBR tool, one of them changed the startup message from grub rescue to no boot media found, but that's it. I haven't tried running those commands from within Windows, I did it from the CMD in the Repair Installation section of the installer. Also, the order you show the commands is different from the tutorials, so I'll try your way from Windows with an administrator CMD window first, then from the installer if that doesn't work, then the software you suggested if neither of those work. Thanks for the suggestions.

wizzybang
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wizzybang »

When you've got to the point no boot media found it's sort of a good sign as grub has gone, but obviously doesn't help your scenario at that point.

When I've had those messages in the past it was with Win7, so I was able to use the install media to launch the installer, I then go into repair system (or whatever it was called, it's been a while), from there launched CMD and those 3 command have repaired the MBR and all was well again. So try that and if no joy, try logging into windows in the way you can and try from there. If that fails, try the EasyBCD software.

Good Luck.
Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm.....

Return to “Installation & Boot”