Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
zopanni
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 18.2 won't boot from DVD

Post by zopanni » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:19 pm

I have an Acer Aspire E-15 running WIndows 10 64 bit. I downloaded Mint 18.2 and 18.3 64 bit versions and burned the ISO to their own individual DVD. (The 18.3 was obtained through a torrent download.) I changed the boot order to boot from the DVD drive. WHen I try to boot from the DVD, I get the screen that asks which method I want to use (mint, OEM installation, check disk integrity, etc.). When I select one of the choices the screen goes blank and nothing else happens. I have tried changing "quiet splash" to "nomodeset" but still get the same results. What could be causing this issue?

Just for an added kicker, I also burned at Tails 3.3 ISO to a DVD and my computer won't even try to boot from that DVD.

Thanks for any help ! ! !

Moem
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Mint 18.2 won't boot from DVD

Post by Moem » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:26 pm

Shot in the dark, but based on memories from a (bad) experience: try booting into WIndows and updating the BIOS from there.

Apart from that, the obvious and the not-so-obvious, off the top of my head:
Secure boot and fast boot are off? Have you marked Mint as a trusted (U)EFI device in the BIOS? Are you running both OSses in the same mode (not mixing legacy and UEFI boot)? Is this another of those 64-bits OSses that needs 32-bits UEFI? (It could be.)

Linux on an Acer... always a fun time. :roll:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

michael louwe
Level 8
Level 8

Post by michael louwe » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:41 am

@ zopanni, .......
zopanni wrote:I have an Acer Aspire E-15 running WIndows 10 64 bit. I downloaded Mint 18.2 and 18.3 64 bit versions and burned the ISO to their own individual DVD. (The 18.3 was obtained through a torrent download.) I changed the boot order to boot from the DVD drive. WHen I try to boot from the DVD, I get the screen that asks which method I want to use (mint, OEM installation, check disk integrity, etc.). When I select one of the choices the screen goes blank and nothing else happens. I have tried changing "quiet splash" to "nomodeset" but still get the same results. What could be causing this issue?

Just for an added kicker, I also burned at Tails 3.3 ISO to a DVD and my computer won't even try to boot from that DVD.

Thanks for any help ! ! !
Certain high-end OEM Win 8.x/10 computers, eg Acer, Asus and HP, have an obstructive or pro-M$ BIOS setting for "select an UEFI file as trusted for executing", ...
https://itsfoss.com/no-bootable-device-found-ubuntu/
viewtopic.php?t=236560

The above latest(= 2017) OEM laptops, eg Acer E and S series, may have even removed this BIOS setting(eg "No bootable device" after installing Linux and cannot be fixed), but may be restored by a new BIOS firmware update from the OEMs = update through Windows only. This was after many complaints from affected users. ...
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=254948

zopanni
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zopanni » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:51 am

Okay. I updated the BIOS and was able to boot from the DVD. Thanks guys!

I installed Mint 18.3 to an external hard drive, set the BIOS to boot from USB HDD but now it will not boot from the HDD.

Any ideas?

Neil Edmond
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Neil Edmond » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:00 am

Maybe the boot loader was allowed to install on the enternal HDD.

zopanni
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zopanni » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:26 am

So how do I check and fix that?

michael louwe
Level 8
Level 8

Post by michael louwe » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:46 pm

zopanni wrote:So how do I check and fix that?
Is it you cannot boot from the external LM Mate HDD or the internal Win 10 HDD.?

How did you do the install of LM on the external HDD.?

Maybe, you need to use the rEFInd UEFI Boot Repair tool ... viewtopic.php?f=60&t=97221

zopanni
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zopanni » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:05 am

Sorry for the late reply.
I have no problem booting into Windows 10 from the internal HDD. It seems that my machine won't recognize Mint on the external HDD.

The installation was done using an iso image burned to a dvd. I then booted from the dvd and installed Mint to the external HDD using instructions I located on youtube.

I'm not really that familiar with the workings of Linux systems. My experience is limited to installing Ubuntu on the internal HDD on an older Sony Vaio. It seems to be a totally different animal than what I'm dealing with now. In other words, I will probably need a bit more detailed instructions.

Thanks for your patience!

zopanni
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zopanni » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:32 am

I also disabled secure boot in the bios but was still unable to boot from the external HDD.

michael louwe
Level 8
Level 8

Post by michael louwe » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:46 am

@ zopanni, .......
zopanni wrote:?
To install LM on an external HDD alongside Win 10 on the internal hard-drive in UEFI mode;

[-1.] Disable Fast Startup in Win 10, ie >Control Panel >Power options. Disable Fast Boot in BIOS setup.
[0.] Ensure that the external HDD is in GPT disk mode. Confirm this by running the Live LM DVD and go to >Accessories >Disk >external HDD/sdb. Check the Partition type, ie GPT or MBR/ms-dos.? If MBR/ms-dos, launch the built-in GParted program and convert the disk to GPT, ie >external HDD/sdb >Device >Create new partition table >GPT >Apply.
[1.] Must use the manual "Something else" install method.
[2.] On the external HDD(=/sdb >free space), create an EFI Boot Partition = fat32/550MB/mount point is /boot/efi, at the beginning of the disk/space.
[3.] Next create a / or Root partition of about 50GB(= Primary partition), a Swap partition of about 1.5X RAM size at the "end of this space" and a large Home partition of about 100-200GB or as required, for data storage.
[4.] Ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the EFI Boot Partition.
[5.] After installation of LM has completed, go into BIOS setup and change the Boot menu to boot first from the external HDD. You will then be given the Grub menu to boot into either LM or Win 10. If you unplug the external HDD, the computer will boot straight into Win 10.

P S - UEFI's GPT disks are not limited to 4 Primary partitions and 2TB in size = practically unlimited.

zopanni
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zopanni » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:29 pm

Ok, I've attempted to do as outlined. When I get to the point to click on "install now," I get an error that says, "Two file systems are assigned the same mount point (/boot/efi): SCSI1 (0,0,0), partition #1 (sda) and SCSI4 (0,0,0), partition #1 (sdb)." What did I do wrong? I have:
/dev/sdb1 fat32 /boot/efi 549MB
/dev/sdb2 ext4 / 50000MB
/dev/sdb4 ext4 /home 433556MB
/dev/sdb3 swap 15999MB

Device for boot loader installation is "/dev/sdb1."

Thanks for the help!

michael louwe
Level 8
Level 8

Post by michael louwe » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:29 pm

@ zopanni, .......
My apologies.

According to this link ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lP57J3hKOU , we can likely install Linux on an external hard-drive in Legacy BIOS mode alongside Win 10 on an internal hard-drive in UEFI mode. Except that after installation, to boot Linux, we need to go into BIOS setup and choose the external HDD as the first boot device, ie there will be no Grub menu for us to select to boot LM or Win 10. Similarly, if we want to boot Win 10.

So;

[1.] Boot the Live LM DVD in Legacy BIOS mode in BIOS setup.
[2.] Use the "Something else" install method and delete all the Linux partitions on the external HDD/sdb.
[3.] Skip creating the EFI Boot Partition = no need. Create the / or Root, Home and Swap partition as usual.
[4.] Ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the externall HDD/sdb.
[5.] After installation has completed, to boot LM, go into BIOS setup to boot first from the external HDD or use the One-Time Boot F-key.

If unsuccessful, change the BIOS setting to Legacy BIOS mode before installing LM on the external HDD = later, to boot Win 10, you need to change BIOS setting back to UEFI mode.

You can also try to select the "Device for boot loader installation" as the Windows EFI System Partition = usually it's /sda1, ie no need to create your own EFI Boot Partition on the external HDD = install LM on the external HDD in UEFI mode.
... In this case, there is the risk of Win 10's forced auto-updates/upgrades borking the dual-boot system.

Last resort is to reinstall Win 10 in Legacy BIOS mode and ...

Also, maybe, try this complicated approach ... https://www.dionysopoulos.me/253-portab ... b-hdd.html

michael louwe
Level 8
Level 8

Post by michael louwe » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:12 am

@ zopanni, .......
Just found a complex tutorial on installing Ubuntu/LM on an external HDD alongside Windows on an internal hard-drive, both in UEFI mode, ...
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2338836

Return to “Installation & Boot”