LM18.2 64bit boots from usb- installation crashes

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hesperus
Level 1
Level 1

LM18.2 64bit boots from usb- installation crashes

Post by hesperus »

Greetings from a Linux newby! Thank you in advance.

Trying to install on:
CPU-Quad core Intel Core i7 (-HT-MCP-) spped/max 3517/4000 MHz
Kernel-4.8.0-53-generic x86_64
UP-3:02 Mem-674.6/15972.4MB
HDD-1062.2GB(2.0% used) Procs-226 Client-Shell inixi-2.2.35 -(Hand copied this from other monitor,so typos likely)

Disabled fast and secure boot, on UEFI bios.
Has a NVIDA graphics card which I understand can be an issue but it will boot from usb, just not install.

Usually boots from usb, but sometimes fails.
The problem is installation. I get to various points in the installation in my many attempts, then get a “low disk space" message box, before it crashes without a error code.

Oddly, I duel installed Linux Mint on this computer months ago but the linux stopped appearing as a boot option after a number of weeks. Want to make the switch over from Windows completely but am stuck.

Thanks again
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux Mint 18.2 64bit boots from usb- installation crashes

Post by deepakdeshp »

hesperus wrote:Greetings from a Linux newby! Thank you in advance.

Trying to install on:
CPU-Quad core Intel Core i7 (-HT-MCP-) spped/max 3517/4000 MHz
Kernel-4.8.0-53-generic x86_64
UP-3:02 Mem-674.6/15972.4MB
HDD-1062.2GB(2.0% used) Procs-226 Client-Shell inixi-2.2.35 -(Hand copied this from other monitor,so typos likely)

Disabled fast and secure boot, on UEFI bios.
Has a NVIDA graphics card which I understand can be an issue but it will boot from usb, just not install.

Usually boots from usb, but sometimes fails.
The problem is installation. I get to various points in the installation in my many attempts, then get a “low disk space" message box, before it crashes without a error code.

Oddly, I duel installed Linux Mint on this computer months ago but the linux stopped appearing as a boot option after a number of weeks. Want to make the switch over from Windows completely but am stuck.

Thanks again
Are you trying for a dual boot?
Print out put of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
hesperus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hesperus »

I am trying a fresh install of only Linux on a blank HD
That is, just Linux Mint, no other operating system is or will be present.

Thank you deepakdeshp, I tried again and guess had enough memory to get it:

Code: Select all

mint@mint ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: mint Kernel: 4.8.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.3 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: G11CD v: Rev 1.xx
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 0802 date: 02/03/2016
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-6700 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 27264
           clock speeds: max: 4000 MHz 1: 3699 MHz 2: 3699 MHz 3: 3699 MHz
           4: 3699 MHz 5: 3699 MHz 6: 3699 MHz 7: 3699 MHz 8: 3699 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau
           Resolution: 3840x2160@30.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV126
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 12.0.6 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 NVIDIA Device 0fba driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Card-2 Intel Sunrise Point-H HD Audio
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.8.0-53-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8821AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: rtl8821ae port: d000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: c000 bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: enp4s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1062.2GB (1.5% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_DT01ACA1 size: 1000.2GB temp: 31C
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: DataTraveler_2.0 size: 62.0GB temp: 0C
           ID-1: swap-1 size: 17.10GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 55.0C mobo: 27.8C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
Info:      Processes: 240 Uptime: 1 min Memory: 598.5/15972.4MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
Last edited by Moem on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding [code] tags. They retain some formatting that makes your output easier to read.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ hesperus, .......
hesperus wrote:...
First, run the Live LM USB, go to >Accessories >Disk and confirm the disk mode of the 1TB HDD, ie is it GPT or MBR(ms-dos).?
... The built-in GParted program on the Live USB can be used to convert disk mode, eg from ms-dos(MBR) to GPT or vice versa, >Device >Create New Partition Table >GPT or ms-dos >Apply.

If the HDD is in GPT disk mode, UEFI install should be used. I recommend using the manual "Something else" install method. You will have to create an EFI Boot Partition at the beginning of the disk space = fat32/550MB/mount point is /boot/efi, in addition to a / or Root partition of about 50GB, a large Home partition for data storage(eg 200GB) and a Swap partition of 1.5X RAM size(= 24GB) at the 'end of this space'.
... Ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the EBP = it's usually /sda1.

For some guidance about manual partitioning ... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (= Legacy BIOS/ms-dos or MBR disks)

Otherwise, use the easier automatic "Erase disk and install LM" method.

For the Nvidia graphic card fix ... https://linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_cinnamon.php
hesperus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hesperus »

michael louwe wrote:
First, run the Live LM USB, go to >Accessories >Disk and confirm the disk mode of the 1TB HDD, ie is it GPT or MBR(ms-dos).?
... The built-in GParted program on the Live USB can be used to convert disk mode, eg from ms-dos(MBR) to GPT or vice versa, >Device >Create New Partition Table >GPT or ms-dos >Apply.

If the HDD is in GPT disk mode, UEFI install should be used. I recommend using the manual "Something else" install method. You will have to create an EFI Boot Partition at the beginning of the disk space = fat32/550MB/mount point is /boot/efi, in addition to a / or Root partition of about 50GB, a large Home partition for data storage(eg 200GB) and a Swap partition of 1.5X RAM size(= 24GB) at the 'end of this space'.
... Ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the EBP = it's usually /sda1.

For some guidance about manual partitioning ... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (= Legacy BIOS/ms-dos or MBR disks)

Otherwise, use the easier automatic "Erase disk and install LM" method.

For the Nvidia graphic card fix ... https://linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_cinnamon.php
Did not see either GPT or MBR listed in the specs using this disk accessory but I used the GParted program and it names all 3 partition tables as GPT. So I used the UEFI install manual “something else” install you recommended...

I saw my previous attempts had cluttered my disk with partitions so I removed the ones I could with GParted and rebooted. When I could get it to boot I would make some headway and then get the (low disk space message) which regularly precedes a crash report by a couple of seconds.

Reinstalling windows on the other hand is easy, sigh.

I followed the links you sent me and learned a lot but am still no closer to installing Mint on my computer. On the other hand the underpowered pad I’m writing on was up and running in about a half an hour, weeks ago. I assume I am missing some fatal obstacle that prevents me from a fresh install. Something in my Bios?

Suspect the low disk space error message I get before my install crashes is key in my problems, since the crash follows soon after I get it.

Is it possible for me to install ubuntu and then use it to upgrade to Mint?

Any other work arounds?
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ hesperus, .......
What sizes did you set for the EFI Boot Partition, / or Root partition and Swap partition.?

The EFI Boot Partition should be about 550MB, the / or Root partition should be about 50GB or 50,000MB and the Swap partition should be 1.5X RAM size = 16GB X 1.5 = 24GB or 24,000MB.

If still unsuccessful, try using the automatic "Erase disk and install LM" method.
hesperus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hesperus »

michael louwe wrote:
What sizes did you set for the EFI Boot Partition, / or Root partition and Swap partition.?

The EFI Boot Partition should be about 550MB, the / or Root partition should be about 50GB or 50,000MB and the Swap partition should be 1.5X RAM size = 16GB X 1.5 = 24GB or 24,000MB.

If still unsuccessful, try using the automatic "Erase disk and install LM" method.
Installation crashes no matter which install option I choose. Crashes at different phases but crashes, say before I can set up partitions.

Note*Forgot when I installed duel booting on this computer, I got around the nvida graphics driver problem before by removing the card and reinstalling it when linux was running and then adding the drivers.

Create bootable boot and nuke
boot and nuke computer

boot hit tab to edit and rewrite using nomodeset as described here:
https://linuxmint.com/rel_sylvia_cinnamon.php -since I am now trying to install 18.3

after boot install using something else option, setting up partitions as instructed…
while writing this the “low disk space” warning came up…

… ignoring low disk space choice, and proceeding with installation attempt…

would not allow me to select install…

...starting over with nomodeset procedure, where I will click install rapidly in hopes of getting to install.

Pop up box “Runinng isn software rendering mode...without video hardware acceleration...as a result may observe much higher CPU usage…”

When the ‘something else’ partition setting table opened up computer immediately locked up. Waited 10 mintutes and spinning petals in circle icon was still at it.

Going to boot again, edit with nomodeset edit and boot and select erase and first install option.

Crashed during install, no error code.

Thinking about removing nvida card and trying again without it.

Try again with above procedures. Saw it recognized previous 18.3 install attempt and chose erase and install again. Got as fare as time zone and got message’ “disk space” message popped up also.
“ubi-timezone failed with exit code 1. Further information may be found in /var/log/syslog...”
Retry attempts fail. Will use ‘boot and nuke’ HD format and try to boot into mint again, again trying “something else” option to install partitions...

Did so...

Ran through code as usual then got stuck on a code waterfall where I could make out the repeated ‘messages dropped’
reboot attempt as before…

Hope to get to something else option to install partitions…

… got there but disk space notice followed by crash.

Again. The low disk space message pops up shortly followed by a crash... no matter which install option I pick I get the same end result (low disk space followed by crash)
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ hesperus, .......
Please try the fix at this link ... https://askubuntu.com/questions/912510/ ... space?rq=1
hesperus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hesperus »

space?rq=1michael louwe wrote:
Please try the fix at this link ... https://askubuntu.com/questions/912510/ ...

...“stated to add i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 pci=nomsi to the grub. In typical Linux forum fashion (and I do not mean to offend) the poster took for granted that everyone knows what a grub is, how to access it, and where to add the change. Digging through other forums I discovered that the lines needed to be added to the end of the Linux section one space after the commands already populated.
This change made the installer properly partition everything.
For anyone having the same issue I was having you access the grub settings by hitting "e" on the initial installation screen.”.
Added the “ i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 pci=nomsi” right after the “ nomodeset” and selected erase and install and it worked!!!
Problem solved, thank you michael louwe for your research, dilegence and your other virtues that made it possible. :D
hesperus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LM18.2 64bit boots from usb- installation crashes

Post by hesperus »

System locked up and reboots to entering password which results in, a black screen with rapidly descending text, like they were stories of a building you were free falling past at terminal velocity.

Changed fast boot option in and erased first key inbios
made sure os was set to other

booted to disk, opened gpart and erased partitions
rebooted and clicked set up
chose other and set the partitions

Before booting the install disk, hit tab and e to get grub install message and entered i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 pci=nomsi” right after the “ nomodeset at the end of the linux title line and booted.

In installation chose other and set up partitions as follows:

New partition table to erase old partitions and start over
/dev/sda
/dev/sda1 ext4 / 100,000MB used: LM 18.3 unknown Primary
/dev/sda2 ext4 /home 700,000MB used: unknown Logical
/dev/sda3 swap 100,205MB unknown Logical
free space 100,000MB

rebooted to hdd
selected update and selected just keep computer safe, installed all updates it recommended and selected with mouse reboot.
--greeted with building free fall code stream “...messages dropped...”

manually rebooted
pulling up LM…
stopped booting and switched to free fall…
manual reboot again…
LM small icon again… free fall… white screen flash… log in screen…

(once again back at this point. Noted that in past, took for granted not being able to log out without free fall, nor consistently log in without free fall. How can I repair LM so I can smoothly boot and shut down? So it will not surprise me with nothing but the free fall screen? So I can save the state I am currently at and reload it, if… and most likely, when, LM crashes again? The hours reinstalling LM to have it crash are adding up.

Installed updates under the (just keep my computer safe) first update option. Rebooted with free fall hiccups but did boot.

Picked Luckybackup -software and will dl, install and attempt set up.

As I was setting up, noted I have a message that usually means downfall of death in upper right corner: “Low Disk Space on “file systemroot”-The volumen “filesystem root” has only 0 bytes disk space remaining.

System locked up as I was attempting luckybackup install rebooted and got freefall

series of reboots
one where I did what apeared to be a bios or underlying os, grub?, mem test, where it appeared to be testing my cpu.

Escaped out of that after ten minutes where it seemed to be saying it was on the 8th test.

Free falls follow booting and entering password for 8 consecutive times.

Should I repair the installation, reinstall it differently or something else entirely?

Return to “Installation & Boot”