Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mazerunner
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] "Boot Device Not Found" after clean Sylvia - Cinnamon installation

Post by mazerunner » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:39 am

Dear friends,
some months ago I bought a HP laptop with an intel core i5 7th gen, 6 GB RAM and 1 TB hard disk. I have worked with Windows 10 on it and the experience has been a very very bad one. Now, I thought I'd try some alternative and yesterday I installed Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" - Cinnamon (64-bit). I had some friendly support at linuxquestions.org but now that I realize there's a specific LinuxMint forum, I'll move my Qs here, instead.

I didn't get the partitioning right, the first time, and I re-installed it a second time, this time deleting all previous partitions and doing this new partitioning:

sda1 / 46080 MB ext4
sda2 /home 947930 MB ext4
sda3 swap 6144 MB
sda4 EFI 51 MB fat32

The installation seemed to go well but booting afterwards proved impossible. I got the message "Boot Device Not Found" like you see in the attached screenshot.

GParted shows a "boot" flag next to sda4 and I placed on myself next to sda1. Nothing much changed though. I can't seem to boot: "Boot Device Not Found"

I expected that the installation of any o.s. would take care that the disk is bootable. Apparently I have done some rookie mistake.

I'd appreciate any help, here. :)
Last edited by Moem on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked this as [SOLVED] for you; please note that you can do this for your own topics. Thanks!

Flemur
Level 16
Level 16

Re: "Boot Device Not Found" after clean Sylvia - Cinnamon installation

Post by Flemur » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:08 am

mazerunner wrote:sda4 EFI 51 MB fat32
Pretty sure that should be sda1 for booting :
viewtopic.php?t=219231
-->
viewtopic.php?t=219231#p1148982
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:36 pm

@ mazerunner, .......
mazerunner wrote:...
The EFI Boot Partition should be about 550MB in size, fat32 and mount point is /boot/efi.

Ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the EFI Boot Partition, which is usually /sda1.

Example of the EFI Boot Partition on a disk layout ... https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... -partition

mazerunner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mazerunner » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:13 pm

JeremyB wrote:I agree with the reply you got https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... ost5788064
well, like I said, I re-installed Mint, repartitioned the hard disk so that efi is sda1 flagged "boot", but that didn't solve anything.
Flemur wrote:
mazerunner wrote:sda4 EFI 51 MB fat32
Pretty sure that should be sda1 for booting :
viewtopic.php?t=219231
-->
viewtopic.php?t=219231#p1148982
I followed all instructions given in this post but no.

btw there was some problem with this command:
apt-get install --reinstall grub-efi

it returned errors. It seemed like this grub-efi wasn't good for the amd64 system? I rebooted, re-exectued the instructions but this time I used the manager to install that grub-efi-amd64 instead. Then executed the rest of the commands.

"No Bootable Device Found"

As for the size of the EFI Boot Partition, I read somewhere else that 35 MB is the minimum. I will resize it. And then it will boot, at last?

I am so exhausted I don't even have the energy to sit down and cry. This is day 3 trying to install Linux.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone trying to help. And btw, here's a screenshot of the boot settings in my bios:
bios01.jpg

JeremyB
Level 19
Level 19

Post by JeremyB » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:29 pm

Just let the installer set the partitions and don't worry about making a partition for /home at this point

Laurent85
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Laurent85 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:36 pm

Download my Live EFI Boot Disk http://cdimage.tux.ovh/lebd/live-efi-bo ... 171028.iso

Installing rEFInd Boot Manager in fallback mode fixes most issues regarding EFI boot. Before you proceed with installation you may generate an online bisnext summary, double click the launcher on the LEBD desktop, you need to boot a LEBD live session for that. Then post back the link provided first line of summary, don't copy paste summary to the forum it's too large.

There is a rEFINd installation script launcher on the desktop, I suggest you provide the bisnext summary before you proceed with rEFInd installation. FYI the installation script must be run twice to install rEFInd in falback mode.

See the README.txt for more details.

mazerunner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mazerunner » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:53 pm

Dear Laurent85, I must admit that I don't understand half of what you write here.

Right now, I'm reinstalling Mint (for the 4th time) with a bigger Efi partition.

If that doesn't work, and after 4 installations I'm not very optimistic, I will try to decipher what you are telling me here and try it out.

mazerunner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mazerunner » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:03 pm

It still doesn't work. I'll try to study and understand what you suggest.

mazerunner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mazerunner » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:10 pm

hm. I read the README.TXT and I'm downloading the iso

Not understanding much, I might try and see if I at least get the steps right.
  • I boot from the disk
  • then, I should be able to see there some installation script that I am to execute?
  • And this script kind of switches some boot manager mode heen and forth between Priority and Fallback mode?
  • And I might try both to see whether my laptop will boot eventually into my Mint installation?
did I get that right?

Laurent85
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Laurent85 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:30 pm

Boot from the live usb a LEBD session.

Once live session opened, generate a online bisnext summary, the launcher is on the desktop. When done provide the link indicated first line of summary, you need an active internet connection for the summary to successfully upload. Reminder don't copy paste summary to the forum it's too large.

I suggest you wait my feedback before proceeding with rEFInd installation even if think rEFInd in fallback mode is the way to go.

mazerunner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mazerunner » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:02 pm

ok, i think i'm following you.

Is that what you need?

https://paste.debian.net/998951/

Laurent85
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Laurent85 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:38 pm

================================== UEFI ===================================
EFI files in /dev/sda1:
<empty here>
There is currently no grub boot loader installed in the ESP (EFI Ssytem Partition).

I suggest you proceed this way:

Use my LEBD to boot Linux Mint from the hard disk. When booting from usb LEBD rEFInd Boot Manager should offer to boot LM installed on the hard disk.

Once you could boot your Linux Mint session from the hard disk install grub, from a terminal :

Code: Select all

apt update
apt install shim-signed grub-efi-amd64-signed
sudo grub-install
Should install grub and report no error messages.
Reboot and remove the usb stick.

Computer still doen't load grub ?

If so you can boot a LEBD session and install rEFInd Boot Manager in fallback mode. Run the installation program twice. See the command output, should read "rEFInd Boot Manager set in Fallback mode...".

Notice the installation script currently only proceed with installation when no errors were detected in the ESP (EFI Boot partition) and when a valid grub boot loader could be detected.

mazerunner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mazerunner » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:50 pm

Dear Laurent85, I used your iso, I followed your instructions and now my laptop boots, at last, without a problem.

I can't thank you enough!

way to go, my man.

stanley82
Level 2
Level 2

Post by stanley82 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:26 pm

A few years ago you only had to click install from the live distro and all went quite (including dual boot linux windows) well after answering a few simple questions. I like to think I'm good at it but with new secure boot and goodness knows what it's got to be quite complicated and messed up with old fixes on top of older fixes. I purchased a disk from "Partition Magic" (partedmagic.com) for two or three dollars ages ago, now 11$, download onto a flash and one of the goodies is a boot loader restore utility. You said it installed okay only fails to boot, that is often the problem and boot restore fixed it for me. Sorry for the commercial Mint guys but you really need a few tool like that with boot restore, partition magic to figure out what has happened. Do we still need a small fat 32 partition or has Linux got over that? By the way Mint guys have you ever considered having boot loader restore and gparted on the live distro like the Partition Magic Distro? Regards Ian

Return to “Installation & Boot”