Pre-Load Mint for an "Offline" install?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jharris1993
Level 3
Level 3

Pre-Load Mint for an "Offline" install?

Post by jharris1993 »

Greetings Earthlings!

Issue:
While working on installing Mint on an older system, (Viz., Mint on low-end hardware?), I have run into an issue where I cannot do a direct install onto the target system since the CD-ROM device isn't working and an external thumb-drive won't boot if the system sees a hard drive installed.

I have already tried:
1. Using a different system, launching the installation CD and "installing" to the hard drive attached to an external USB adapter. The result was a lot of unnecessary "hardware customizations" that were inappropriate for the target system.

2. The same as #1, trying an "OEM" install. A real pain.

3. Both installs ended up damaging the Win7 partition on my system (recovered using chkdsk) despite the fact that it was never mounted, the installer was instructed not to touch it, and all operations were done to the externally mounted HD.

Question:
Is it possible to "pre-load" a Mint installation on an external hard drive so that it completes itself when installed into the target system? Assume the system has access to a working internet connection. Likewise assume that I do not want to have to set up a "bootp" type network boot if at all possible.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jim "JR"

Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Pre-Load Mint for an "Offline" install?

Post by jimallyn »

Several forums users have put their hard drive in another computer, installed Mint on it, then moved the hard drive back. Linux is usually smart enough to detect that the hardware has changed and adjust itself accordingly. If you use PLOP, you can make your computer boot from an old electric shaver if you like. OK, not quite, but darn near.

https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/intro.html
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jharris1993
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Pre-Load Mint for an "Offline" install?

Post by jharris1993 »

Slick!

The things you learn on these fora - darned if I wish I'd known about that before. . . .

Thanks for the tip.
Jim "JR"

Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb

Return to “Installation & Boot”