Mint 18.3 Cinnamon Resume from Hibernate Problem (partially solved)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
halregen
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 18.3 Cinnamon Resume from Hibernate Problem (partially solved)

Post by halregen »

Lately a problem has come up when resuming from hibernate it boots to user login. When it starts to resume you can tell it tries to read the image from swap partition because there is no back and forth lighting of the horizontal dots on the boot screen. But then after a minute or 2, the back and forth lighting of horizontal dots starts. This seems to indicate that it is having trouble with the hibernate image on the swap partition. Then the login screen appears. The only thing that may have started this trouble was: I reseated one of the memory modules from A2 slot to B1 slot to get dual channel. I had them in A1 and A2 before. There was no resume problem then. My system is:
AMD RYZEN 1700X OC'd 3.775 GHZ, GSKILL 2 X 16GB clocked at 2.933GHZ, Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8GB, ASUS PRIME B350M-A motherboard.
ASUS PRIME B350M-A Memory Slots.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
halregen
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 18.3 Cinnamon Resume from Hibernate Problem

Post by halregen »

The GSKILL memory modules are not listed in the mainboards tested list but I don't remember having a problem with resume from hibernate before rearranging them for dual channel or what I think is dual channel. The modules number: F4-3200C16D-32GTZ
The memory tested to work is here: https://www.asus.com/nz/Motherboards/PR ... pDesk_QVL/
Since I clocked the memory up to 2.933GHZ (still not at the design speed of 3.2GHZ) I might try clocking down and see if the hibernate resume problem still exists. I would be grateful for any suggestions what might be causing this from any other users.
halregen
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 18.3 Cinnamon Resume from Hibernate Problem

Post by halregen »

I got success with resume from hibernate by clocking down from 2.933 to 2.8GHZ. i did two resume from hibernate tests. One with just the OS and cinnamon desktop running and the other with the sim X-Plane 11 running. All work properly at that memory speed. So it does not look like a bug or anything with Mint 18.3. It is more of a problem with the UEFI BIOS and AMD. Maybe there will be an update that will run that memory at full speed one day but it is nearly the end of the year. The RYZEN CPU and mainboards have been released at the end of last year or very early this year.

Return to “Installation & Boot”