Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
NickByford
Level 1
Level 1

[Fixed]trying to run Mint 18.2 live from USB

Post by NickByford » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:34 am

Machine: HP G6000 64 bit laptop (or notebook, I'm not sure what they're called nowadays)
Current OS : XP Pro SP3
Processor : AMD Athalon 64 X 2 1.9 Ghz
RAM : 1.93 Gb
HD : 75 Gb

I have tried running the 32 bit and 64 bit live trial, running from USB.

It boots fine initially, showing the LM logo and tells me that the boot process will begin in so many seconds. Then the screen goes peculiar and fails to display correctly. When the system boots, it shows four or five repeated columns with the same icons in (the three icons including the install icon). This happens in both the 32 and 64 bit versions.

This has happened several times now and when booted into compatibility mode, the "bingly-beep" that tells me that the system is ready doesn't stop, remaining with the final tone whining away. The mouse pointer works, but nothing responds to clicks. I can move the mouse around, but when I click on anything, nothing happens and the constant whine coming from the speakers is almost enough to break glass.

It looks as though this machine was originally running Vista 64 bit, but now I can neither upgrade to Win 7 or Linux, but I can't find out why.

Can anyone suggest a route through this, please? I know the ISO's are good as I have used them on other machines, including the 32 bit release on a much less capable machine also originally running Win XP pro and a good, solid installation on our ex-Vista Asus laptop (or notebook ... whatever).

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks guys (and girls)
Last edited by NickByford on Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asus X70IO 32 bit Dual core T6600, 4Gb, running Linux Mint 18.2 upgraded from Vista Premium (Yuck!)

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Re: trying to run Mint 18.2 live from USB

Post by Tomgin5 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:31 pm

Curios! Which OS version of LM are you running LDE, MATE, Cinnamon? They boot differently. Your descriptions are not familiar to me.

NickByford
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NickByford » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:02 pm

Actually, I have tried it with Cinnamon 32 and 64 and have just come close to throwing the damned thing out of the window having got the same results with Mate 64, using a different USB flashdrive.

I'm wondering actually whether this has anything to do with the fact that the HP G6000 has what I can only assume is an on-board graphics set up rather than a graphics card. This is the fourth machine I've tried Mint on and the only one of them that I've had problems with ... well, the laptop was an issue, but I have learnt a lot since then :lol:
Asus X70IO 32 bit Dual core T6600, 4Gb, running Linux Mint 18.2 upgraded from Vista Premium (Yuck!)

michael louwe
Level 8
Level 8

Post by michael louwe » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:38 pm

@ NickByford, .......
NickByford wrote:...
Please refer to a possible fix at ... https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1032418
https://askubuntu.com/questions/139157/ ... -parameter

NickByford
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NickByford » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:15 pm

@Michael Louwe

Thanks for the tip. I'll be trying that tomorrow and hopefully I'll have more luck than I have had up till now :D

NickByford
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Fixed]trying to run Mint 18.2 live from USB

Post by NickByford » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:18 pm

It seems that the issue had nothing to do with Mint and everything to do with the graphics card in the machine.

I put the live USB in compatibility mode and surprisingly, this time it worked. I was able to install from there in a partition to test the installation and see whether I could get a driver for the graphics.

Sure enough, with a completed installation, I was able to reinstall as a stand-alone, rather than part of a dual boot.

The machine is all set up now and running Cinnamon 64 bit happily - much faster than XP Pro!!

Thanks to all.

Return to “Installation & Boot”