How to erase persistant from usb multiboot with multisystem?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

How to erase persistant from usb multiboot with multisystem?

Post by pcfan5 »

Hello, I have followed this tutorial viewtopic.php?f=42&t=229086 successfuly , however I would like to erase the "persistan" from one of the Iso's in order to make "persistan" to another (18.3) and to boot from this without trouble.
I got a USBlive flashdrive with 3 linux mint ISO's , two of them were marked as "persistant", but I cannot do the same with ISO for 18.3, if I do it doesn't boot.
Regards.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How to erase persistant from usb multiboot with multisystem?

Post by Spearmint2 »

You have 2 distros on a single flashdrive and want to add a third? What sort of persistence is used for each of the other distros? Is it persistent FILE, or persistent PARTITION?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

pcfan5, I set up a persistent flash drive this evening per the Tutorial you linked. (I've seen the tutorial before, but hadn't tried it till now.) As far as I can tell, there is no good way to erase persistence from one ISO, nor to transfer it to a different one. Seems to me your best option would be to start over. Open Gparted and replace the partition table, which will reformat the drive. Install ISO and casper-rw partition as before.

Note that, although you can install more than one ISO, only one can have persistence by this method. If you would like multiple ISOs with persistence, use a separate flash drive for each. Or use MultiBootUSB. It will permit multiple persistent systems, but uses the casper-rw file method, which limits persistence per system to 4 GB. That's plenty for testing. And for a long term system, you should be using full install rather than persistence.
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcfan5 »

@pbear Thank you , I didn't know that! Thank you for the tips!! :mrgreen:

@Spearmint 2 persistan partition.

I would like to explain that I have a long term instalation, but just in case my HDD gots broken , as it happened to a friend of mine, I would like to be prepared .
Thank you guys.

Return to “Installation & Boot”