Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
naher
Level 1
Level 1

mint 18.3, grub2 fails to install

Post by naher » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:56 pm

Hi,

I'm experiencing some issues installing mint 18.3 on a laptop that has windows 10 on it.
I'm trying to keep both systems, so, I'm re partitioning my disk, I creates a 1GB for /boot, and about 100GB for /, the rest of the dist have two ntfs partitions and one efi partition.
the issue I'm having is that grub2 fails to install without much information, last log says "cannot open /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi: input/output error"

I tried to install grub in /dev/sda and also on the partition I created for linux, both cases it failed in the same way.

I have seen similar errors like
https://askubuntu.com/questions/956453/ ... -not-a-dir
https://askubuntu.com/questions/615742/ ... stallation

but those seems not to be exactly the same.
So, I post this in case there could be any suggestion or idea, in the mean time I will try to figure it out. Anyway, I want to be cautious since I don't want to mess up my windows partitions.

Thanks a lot,
Hernán

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Re: mint 18.3, grub2 fails to install

Post by michael louwe » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:37 am

@ naher, .......
naher wrote:...
For some guidance on dual-booting LM alongside Win 10/8.1 in UEFI and GPT-disk mode, please refer to .......
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126 (dual-booting UEFI computers)
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ct/windows
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... nt-install
https://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-m ... uefi-mode/ (note step 17)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning Tutorial for Legacy BIOS mode and ms-dos disks)

Ensure that Secure Boot, Fast Boot and CSM are disabled in BIOS setup, Fast Startup is disabled in Win 10/8.1(>Control Panel >Power options), the Live LM media(DVD or USB-stick) is booted in UEFI mode in BIOS setup.

To dual-boot, you only need to pre-shrink the Windows partition if you intend to use the manual "Something else" install method. The automatic "install LM alongside Windows Boot Manager" method will be followed by the LM Installer auto-partitioning the disk and auto-installing the Linux Grub bootloader onto the Windows ESP. Only a root / and swap partition will be auto-created with a total default size of about 20GB. The user will be given the option to increase this default size by moving a slider on the colored Partition table, subject to the maximum available free space in the Windows partition.

For the "Something else" install method, ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the Windows EFI System Partition(= ESP = fat32/about 104MB/mount point is /boot/efi) which is usually dev/sda1, or if unsuccessful select the whole disk, ie /sda.

P S - Certain high-end OEM Win 8.x/10 computers, eg Acer, Asus and HP, have an obstructive or pro-M$ BIOS setting for "select an UEFI file as trusted for executing",(= Linux cannot boot) .......
https://itsfoss.com/no-bootable-device-found-ubuntu/
viewtopic.php?t=236560
... The above latest(= 2017) OEM laptops, eg Acer E and S series, may have even removed this BIOS setting(eg "No bootable device" after installing Linux and cannot be fixed), but may be restored by a new BIOS firmware update from the OEMs = update through Windows only. This was after many complaints from affected users. ...
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=254948

naher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by naher » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:43 pm

Thanks for your comments,
I confirmed, I'm following the right steps, and I'm still getting the same error,
Seems related to this
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1091477

But the message I get is not a read only error, is an input/output error, then, analysing a little more I see this weird status of the folder " /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu"

mint@mint /mnt/ssdboot/efi $ ll EFI/
ls: cannot access 'EFI/ubuntu': Input/output error
total 20
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Dec 3 07:31 ./
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Dec 31 1969 ../
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 14 2016 Boot/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Nov 14 2016 Microsoft/
d????????? ? ? ? ? ? ubuntu/

thanks for your help, any other comment will be appreciated
Hernán

polol
Level 1
Level 1

Post by polol » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:05 pm

IMHO you should install grub in case of EFI not on the device (/dev/sda) but on the EFI partition, for instance : # sudo grub-install /dev/sda2

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:10 pm

@ naher, .......
naher wrote:'m experiencing some issues installing mint 18.3 on a laptop that has windows 10 on it.
I'm trying to keep both systems, so, I'm re partitioning my disk, I creates a 1GB for /boot, and about 100GB for /, the rest of the dist have two ntfs partitions and one efi partition.
the issue I'm having is that grub2 fails to install without much information, last log says "cannot open /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi: input/output error".
You do not need to create the 1GB /boot partition. If using the manual "Something else" install method, you just need to ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the EFI System Partition(= fat32/about 200MB/flag is /boot/efi) which is usually dev/sda1.

Maybe, you should use the easy and automatic "Install LM alongside Windows" method.

naher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by naher » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:24 pm

hi,
yes, I started with the automatic the first time, that time it created the partitions, but it failed when installing grub
then I had to choose something else option, on that moment I only created a 100G partition for /, but it failed with a different issue (I got this https://askubuntu.com/questions/613660/ ... 4-0/613669)
I was able to solve that issue by separating the /boot partition, after that all the first part of the installation goes fine, actually the / and /boot partitions all have the right data, so, the linux is probably already installed

the only problem I keep receiving is the grub2 installation failing
on my few last executions I'm always setting /dev/sda1 as the grub installation partition, this partition is the efi that contains the boot partition
so, I'm not sure which would be my next step now, maybe I can try to manually install grub?

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:13 pm

@ naher, .......

If your computer is HP, try the fix at this link ... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=243338

Btw, what brand, model and specifications of your computer.?

naher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by naher » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:27 pm

hi, thanks a lot michael,
this is a lenovo yoga 710-14IKB, i5 processor, 8G ram, 256 ssd
when I boot with the live usd it works great, even the touch screen drivers are working quite good, so, if I get the grub installed all should be good

I tried to find anything related to writing permissions on the efi partition, but I cant find anything, do you think it can be protected against writing?
I will try to remove the wrong ubuntu folder,
I will also try that later anyway, I will let you know how it goes

thanks
naher

naher
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] mint 18.3, grub2 fails to install

Post by naher » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:07 pm

it finally worked, I was able to remove the corrupt folder, after that I was able to get it working properly.

Thanks a lot for the comments

nahher

kaleido
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kaleido » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:45 pm

Hi Nahher,
I know it's been a while, but can you please share how you managed to remove the corrupt folder (and which one was causing the problem)?
Thanks
naher wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:07 pm
it finally worked, I was able to remove the corrupt folder, after that I was able to get it working properly.

Thanks a lot for the comments

nahher

Return to “Installation & Boot”