Before you post please read how to get help
drakend
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Update to Linux Mint 18.3 from Linux Mint 18.2 problem

Post by drakend » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:50 am

Hello fellow minters.

I've just updated one of my notebook to Linux Mint 18.3, starting from 18.2
It all went good BUT I noticed the Kernel v.4.4.0-101 kept remaining installed, unlike
what I expected to see because I thought the update would install the kernel
4.10.x
Maybe this is normal for updates and not fresh installations, however this isn't much
of a problem because I'm ok with 4.4.x kernel too!
The more serious problem lies on the fact I cannot install any new kernel from the
"Linux Kernels" form within the mintUpdate application.
Not from the 4.4.x or from the 4.10.x!
mintUpdate just tells me it's starting downloading the kernel I choose but then the download
window closes without telling anything and it doesn't install anything of course.
This didn't happen BEFORE the update to 18.3 so something must have happened during
that process. The only weird thing which happened during the installation was that it asked
me what to do with the GRUB config file. I chose to install the new version from the mainteiner
without having particular issues because GRUB loads correctly at boot and let me boot Linux
Mint perfectly.
What could be the reason of this behaviour of mintUpdate then?
Last edited by drakend on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

fabien85
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Update to Linux Mint 18.3 from Linux Mint 18.2 problem

Post by fabien85 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:12 pm

From the upgrade announcement (https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3462):
Although Linux Mint 18.3 features a newer kernel, this upgrade does not change the kernel on your behalf. This is a decision only you should take.
The prompt to change the grub file is perfectly normal. Whatever you did, keep or replace, has no impact on your capability to boot the system and have it work.

The mintupdate stuff is weird, looks like a bug.
First an update to mintinstall was provided today, apply it and see if that helps. Otherwise, you could try to debug, e.g. by watching the logs (e.g. tail -f /var/log/kern.log) as you launch mintupdate and try to install a kernel, see if there is any error that pops up.

drakend
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drakend » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:59 pm

Hello thanks for the reply.
I tried updating but there was no mintinstall update, maybe does it have to propagate to all mirrors first?
I tried monitoring the kernel log but there was no error related to kernel install stuff. There were only some messages related to the firewall blocking something: just to be sure I tried disabling the firewall entirely but the mintupdate weird behaviour was still there.

Is there a mintupdate log anywhere? I found out an old answer on this forum saying it was on "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/logs" but I didn't find anything log related. Was the location of the log changed?

drakend
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drakend » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Maybe I've found the problem:

When the download fails the following error message appears within mintupdate log viewer:

Code: Select all

synaptic:32361): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_hide: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
/usr/sbin/synaptic: symbol lookup error: /usr/sbin/synaptic: undefined symbol: xapp_set_xid_progress
12.05@21:41 ++ Starting refresh (including refreshing the APT cache) 
12.05@21:41 ++ System is up to date 
12.05@21:41 ++ Refresh finished 

(synaptic:2882): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_hide: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
/usr/sbin/synaptic: symbol lookup error: /usr/sbin/synaptic: undefined symbol: xapp_set_xid_progress
what's the cause?

fabien85
Level 6
Level 6

Post by fabien85 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:23 am

Sorry, this is beyond my experience, maybe someone else can answer
I only know that Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_hide: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed is harmless, I have seen it countless times for different application with a GUI.
A possible workaround is to install the kernel manually through apt. At least if that fails you will have error messages in the terminal.

drakend
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drakend » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:01 pm

For some reason beyond my understanding evreything was fixed after I run sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get upgrade. The system downloaded a bunch of packets related to Linux Mint 18.3. After this the mintupdate application proposed further updates which I made. After a reboot I was able to install packages as normal, kernel included.
Most likely some problems happened during the first upgrading process which resulted in mintupdate weird behaviour.
The thread can be marked as SOLVED.
I updated the outcome for future reference to people who should have similar problem.

fabien85
Level 6
Level 6

Post by fabien85 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:28 am

Congrats. Please edit your first post to add [SOLVED] in the subject/title.

Maybe there was a change to the addresses of the repository servers, or the mirror that you were using was not yet synced.

Return to “Installation & Boot”