Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
PeterL
Level 1
Level 1

Windows 10 & Mint dual boot question

Post by PeterL » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:06 pm

I have mistakenly installed Linux MInt using LVM (admittedly a stupid rookie mistake)and now see no way to access Windows 10 nor any other files, etc. that were saved under Windows 10. Is there any way to make this installation dual boot as I intended or at least access the files that were saved under Windows 10? BTW I'm totally new to this forum and hope I have not posted this inappropriately but if so I apologize and would very much appreciate any help.
Thanks and best regards to all
Peter Landes

Moem
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Windows 10 & Mint dual boot question

Post by Moem » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:15 pm

Hi Peter,
I've split your post off into its own topic since it's a new question, not a reply to someone else's question. Welcome and I hope you'll get some good tips here!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:23 pm

PeterL,

Your windows installation may have been overwritten with the LVM installation.

If you can boot to Mint, paste back the results of sudo blkid or boot the installation media to paste that back.
Image ImageImage

PeterL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PeterL » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:55 pm

Thanks WharfRat - as a complete Linux newbie I'm not sure what (or how) "paste back the results" means. Hate to bother you again but could you please list step-by-step instructions as to how to proceed? I CAN boot to Linux Mint successfully and frankly I'm impressed with its simplicity and speed (especially as opposed to Win10) - also very impressed and grateful for the response on this forum. I promise to be more careful in the future.
Unfortunately I have files and programs on Win10 that I need to access

Thanks again for this and any further help you could render

Best regards

Peter Landes

PeterL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PeterL » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:57 pm

Thanks Moem - grateful for your assistance

Best regards

Peter Landes

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:03 pm

Paste back means copy and paste the terminal output like this

Code: Select all

[bill@XPS] ~ $ mount|grep tmp
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=8160240k,nr_inodes=2040060,mode=755)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=1636756k,mode=755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
cgmfs on /run/cgmanager/fs type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=100k,mode=755)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=1636756k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000)
[bill@XPS] ~ $ 
Highlight it and add a code tag, the button after B, i,u and Quote just above the text box on the left hand side.
Image ImageImage

Moem
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Moem » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:13 pm

Wharfrat, you're forgetting a few basic steps:
- open a terminal (one way to do it is pressing Ctrl + Alt + T)
- paste the command that's mentioned above into that terminal and press Enter
- when you are prompted for your password, type it in knowing that you will not see any letters or dots or anything else appear, and press Enter.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

PeterL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PeterL » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:29 pm

Thanks a lot - I'll try this out tonight and let you know tomorrow - fingers crossed
Best regards
Peter Landes

PeterL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PeterL » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:01 pm

Good morning (well, afternoon in the Netherlands)

Ran following with no discernible results whatever:

janice@janice-Inspiron-N5010 ~ $ sudo blkid
[sudo] password for janice: 
/dev/sda1: UUID="2309dc47-4227-4e3b-b1ba-28f1fe42b99c" TYPE="ext2" 
/dev/sda5: UUID="dyc2dB-jp6n-eCFm-VyNa-xNzz-2pgn-V4kyic" TYPE="LVM2_member" 
/dev/mapper/mint--vg-root: UUID="8cf5a2f9-2ca5-4340-bb45-4ac3a213ef1e" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/mapper/mint--vg-swap_1: UUID="75e02846-0a3c-465b-b17c-cc5dc5e2ff6a" TYPE="swap" 
janice@janice-Inspiron-N5010 ~ $ [bill@XPS] ~ $ mount|grep tmp
[bill@XPS]: command not found
janice@janice-Inspiron-N5010 ~ $ udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=8160240k,nr_inodes=2040060,mode=755)
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
janice@janice-Inspiron-N5010 ~ $ tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=1636756k,mode=755)
janice@janice-Inspiron-N5010 ~ $ tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
janice@janice-Inspiron-N5010 ~ $ tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
janice@janice-Inspiron-N5010 ~ $ tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
janice@janice-Inspiron-N5010 ~ $ tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
janice@janice-Inspiron-N5010 ~ $ cgmfs on /run/cgmanager/fs type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=100k,mode=755)
janice@janice-Inspiron-N5010 ~ $ tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=1636756k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000)
janice@janice-Inspiron-N5010 ~ $ [bill@XPS] ~ $ 
[bill@XPS]: command not found
Can you please indicate where I've gone wrong

Assistance much appreciate

Best regards

Peter Landes
Feeling stupider daily
Last edited by WharfRat on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added code tag

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:22 pm

Just as I suspected, your windows installation was overwritten by your choice of using the LVM installation.

There is only one installation option for side-by-side which I believe is the first option.

As far as your entering mount|grep tmp you entered [bill@XPS] ~ $ mount|grep tmp.

That was what I used as an example to show how the output should be pasted back here and has no relevance to the issue at hand.

So I'm sorry to inform you that there is no longer a windows partition.
Image ImageImage

PeterL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PeterL » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:05 pm

Thanks for your efforts, WharfRat - much appreciated and sorry to bother you again - BUT just to clarify: even forgetting about the Windows operating system itself - is there any way to recover the files that were saved under Win10? Is there some series of commands or an additional program that would allow me to access those files, just to perhaps view and download them either onto existing drive or another drive (assuming that they were not overwritten when I foolishly used LVM to install Linux Mint)
BTW - at least in my installation the first choice clearly indicated that using that option would definitely overwrite or eliminate Windows - that's why I didn't choose that one. Perhaps installation instructions should be more clearly indicate what results of each of the 4 choices offered would do. There was no warning or indication that LVM would delete Windows...just a suggestion
In any case - I like Linux MInt and certainly appreciate the assistance I've received on this forum
Best regards
Peter Landes

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:44 pm

PeterL wrote:is there any way to recover the files that were saved under Win10?
Unfortunately no.The win OS partition also contains the files you were saving and there is no other partition that would possibly contain any of your prior files.

You currently have only two partitions, a small boot partition and the LVM member as depicted with the results of blkid:

/dev/sda1: UUID="2309dc47-4227-4e3b-b1ba-28f1fe42b99c" TYPE="ext2"
/dev/sda5: UUID="dyc2dB-jp6n-eCFm-VyNa-xNzz-2pgn-V4kyic" TYPE="LVM2_member"
PeterL wrote:BTW - at least in my installation the first choice clearly indicated that using that option would definitely overwrite or eliminate Windows
Most likely you have a legacy mdsos partition scheme which allows for a maximum of four primary partitions. If, as I suspect, you were at the maximum the installer cannot offer the sid-by-side option.

It's unfortunate that you cannot recover your files. The only thing I can stress here is to always maintain comprehensive backups of your important data/files.
Image ImageImage

PeterL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PeterL » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:21 pm

Well ,thanks again for your efforts on my behalf WharfRat - just one more question: does this mean that my files no longer EXIST at all on my hard drive? IF they DO exist at all is there any way at all to make them accessible at all?

Appreciate your continuing help - this is probably getting annoying for you and I apologize for my total lack of Linux knowledge but I am learning a bit

Best regards again

Peter Landes

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:30 pm

PeterL wrote: does this mean that my files no longer EXIST at all on my hard drive? IF they DO exist at all is there any way at all to make them accessible at all?
I doubt that even the most sophisticated FBI forensic utilities would be able to recover more than file fragments if anything at all.

There are a lot of knowledgeable members here that most likely read through these replies and if they knew of a way, believe me they would have chimed in.
Image ImageImage

PeterL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PeterL » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:10 pm

Well - thanks to you and any other members who would have chimed in if there were any solutions to my admittedly self-inflicted problem, WharfRat.

I'm still thinking that there definitely should be a dire warning that if a newbie installer chooses the LVM method of installation ALL WINDOWS OS AND OTHER FILES WILL BE WIPED OUT AND/OR INACCESSIBLE - DO YOU WISH TO PROCEED, YOU IDIOT (or something along those lines. Obviously I never would have used LVM for installation had I known

At any rate - I like Linux Mint and am certainly impressed with your assistance and concern

Best regards

Peter Landes

Return to “Installation & Boot”