Creating a boot disc for my current system (VM related)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
zoharl
Level 1
Level 1

Creating a boot disc for my current system (VM related)

Postby zoharl » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:53 pm

I installed mint on a USB 3.0 pen drive. I'd like to use it inside a virtual machine (VMWare). It seems that those I tried (virtualbox, hyper-v), while supporting USB 3.0 (requiring kernel 3), they don't support booting from it. Currently, I reverted to using the slow USB 2.0, using plpbt (I can't find a similar app that supports USB 3.0).

An elegant solution that I'm considering is to boot my system from a disc image (.iso), but I'm not sure how to do that. It seems like the way to go is creating a customized live disc, but I was wondering if there's an easier way. I'd like to create an iso (which a VM has no problem booting), which would be minimal: It would contain the boot loader, kernel, and essentials to load my os and have a support for usb 3.0; from there it would continue running as usual from the pendrive.
Any suggestions?

Mute Ant
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Creating a boot disc for my current system (VM related)

Postby Mute Ant » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:06 am

If your virtual machine doesn't present physical USB3 ports as virtual USB3 ports, the guest software won't see USB3, even if it has drivers for it.

In 2016, when I last looked, syslinux and GRUB lacked internal USB3 drivers. GRUB would use the (virtual) BIOS to search for the kernel.
echo "c 13 o 6 9 * p q" | dc

zoharl
Level 1
Level 1

Postby zoharl » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:14 am

It does have usb3, but only after the system is loaded (needs kernel 3). Meaning, if, for example, I boot from a live cd and set the usb port to 3.0 (in the VM settings), then I am able to mount and use the stick as usb 3 (speed and all).

zoharl
Level 1
Level 1

Postby zoharl » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:33 pm

Return to “Installation & Boot”