Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wutsinterweb
Level 5
Level 5

USB Drives when rebooting, FWIW to those that think there is a problem

Post by wutsinterweb » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:16 pm

An FYI for others that I ran into, I've had this as a problem on other computers and OSs over the years, and just didn't think of it this time around.

I probably could blame something in the BIOS of my ASUS Z97 Pro motherboard, that somehow it is automatically choosing these USB drives when they are connected. I had a problem yesterday where I "overloaded 18.3 Cinnamon, it seems, with drive trasnfers and other tasks and the system hanged. I tried ctl alt backspace because I didn't know what else to do. Then I tried to shut down and reboot and forgot that I had a USB hard drive connected still, and it wasn't booting properly, and would hang.

Then I realize, hurr durr, remove the hard drive dude, and boot up went fine.

The USB hard drive is a 2.5" 1 TB USB 3.0 item. I also have had trouble over the years in similar situations when USB thumb drives were connected on other boards.

But one thing is how SHOULD I handle a hung system that will still let me do something like ctrl alt bkspce, is there a way to gracefully handle it because a forced crash/repower/reboot?
I'm just a student, your guidance is appreciated.

wutsinterweb
Level 5
Level 5

Re: USB Drives when rebooting, FWIW to those that think there is a problem

Post by wutsinterweb » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:53 pm

Other than these things, anything special to Mint?

http://www.binarytides.com/linux-comman ... rt-system/

So basically, alt-prtscrn and hit R E I S U B in slow succession holding down the former two keys?
I'm just a student, your guidance is appreciated.

Return to “Installation & Boot”