Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
cpd520
Level 1
Level 1

(solved)Install on system w/o operating system

Post by cpd520 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:06 pm

Hi, hope this is the right place for this post-
I was given an older (7 years) Acer with an I3 processor. I'm not sure how much RAM. It was running Windows 10 when the drive died. The HD has been removed. I also have a blank 1 TB HD to use in this computer. The HD is partitioned ( 1 small and 1 Large) and formatted (empty). The drive is currently out and in a case so I can plug it into my windows computer.

I am looking for the simplest/cleanest way to get Linux Cinnamon onto the HD so that I can install it in the Acer and have a dedicated Linus machine.

Hope that makes sense. Any help will be appreciated. I'm not the most tech savvy but am looking forward to the learning opportunity.
Last edited by cpd520 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Install on system w/o operating system

Post by Pjotr » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:21 pm

Dead easy. Pop in the Mint DVD, launch the installer and say "yes" to every proposal it puts before you. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:20 pm

"...way to get Linux Cinnamon onto the HD so that I can install it in the Acer..." Hold on a minute... install the drive in the Acer, then install Mint into the drive. The existing partitions and format will be erased during the installation.

Ubuntu-Mint makes it very easy to encrypt the install without any training in care-and-maintenance. I suggest for your first steps in Linux, you avoid the Encrypt-My-OS and Encrypt-My-Home options. For the first, there's nothing in the OS that needs to be kept secret. For the second, it's less traumatic to add a Private folder where you put your personal data. If something goes horribly wrong, you only lose what's in Private, not the whole installation.

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:10 am

@ cpd520, .......
cpd520 wrote:...
Are you trying to use the 1TB HDD as an internal SATA hard-drive or as an external USB hard-drive.?

If the latter; ...

[1.] Plug in the Live LM DVD/USB-stick and boot from it through BIOS setup's Boot menu. Do a test-drive of LM.
[2.] Plug in the 1TB external USB HDD.
[3.] Click 'Install LM'.
[4.] Must use the manual "Something else" install method. Click on the free space of the desired partition at the beginning of the hard-disk/drive. Partition the free space accordingly, eg a / or Root partition of about 50GB, a Swap partition of about 1.5X RAM size at the "end of this space", and a large Home partition for your data storage. ....
... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning Tutorial for Legacy BIOS mode and ms-dos disks)
[5.] Ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the external USB HDD, eg /sda.
[6.] After installation has completed, click 'Continue Testing' and then Shutdown. Unplug the Live LM DVD/USB-stick.
[7.] Start the computer and go into BIOS setup by pressing the required F-key. Go into the Boot menu to select the external USB HDD as the first boot device. Then exit BIOS setup to boot into LM that is on the external USB HDD.

P S - ms-dos/MBR disks are limited to 4 Primary partitions and 2TB in size.

cpd520
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cpd520 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:06 am

Thanks everyone. Have the HD in and Mint installed. Everything running fine no issues.

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Re: (solved)Install on system w/o operating system

Post by Mute Ant » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:27 pm

Hurrah! Your Guru-in-Training badge is being cast right now using the breath of dying stars. Unfortunate that from a distance it looks like GiT, really.

My Privates

I haven't seen this mentioned for a long time, so your post gets the 'benefit', such as it is.

A user's Private folder is secret, even to root-privilege users, when it's locked. Only the 'mount' pass-phrase will unlock it, and you get to choose that, separately from your normal login password. Don't forget it!

ecryptfs-setup-private ...and answer the questions.

The visible manifestation is a new ~/Private/ folder in your home, by default it's unlocked when you log in. That's where you move your unsavoury collection of Telly Tubby videos, Andy Pandy out-takes, you know, the private stuff.

The actual scrambled files are in your home folder too, in a hidden directory called ~/.Private/ and the unlocking mechanism is in ~/.ecryptfs/

When you want to back-up the Private data, just copy the two hidden folders. If you back up the visible Private diectory, it gets duplicated in plain text... not good.

Return to “Installation & Boot”