Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jstandring
Level 1
Level 1

Dell Optiplex 780 GRUB error

Post by jstandring » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:04 pm

Hey, im fairly new to Linux mint (and linux in general) and i'm having issues with grub. When I first installed Mint alongside Windows 10, I was able to boot into either OS without fail. About two days later - grub now has the error: "No such partition". I tried to boot windows 10 directly via my recovery disk and that failed so I ended up wiping my SSD and reinstalling windows. Anyone know why this happened?

Thanks!

deepakdeshp
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Dell Optiplex 780 GRUB error

Post by deepakdeshp » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:05 pm

There is grub recovery disk and you could have tried to recover Mint and Windows by booting from Mint Live usb/cd.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

michael louwe
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Dell Optiplex 780 GRUB error

Post by michael louwe » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:22 pm

@ jstandring, .......
jstandring wrote:Hey, im fairly new to Linux mint (and linux in general) and i'm having issues with grub. When I first installed Mint alongside Windows 10, I was able to boot into either OS without fail. About two days later - grub now has the error: "No such partition". I tried to boot windows 10 directly via my recovery disk and that failed so I ended up wiping my SSD and reinstalling windows. Anyone know why this happened?

Thanks!
Likely, a forced Win 10 auto-update/upgrade had borked Linux's Grub bootloader, eg an update could have re-enabled Fast Startup in Win 10.

Try dual-booting Win 10 and LM on separate drives, eg install LM on an external USB HDD.

Return to “Installation & Boot”